CRUSH: Negativity!

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
You can't be serious. Tell me an effect where you would let them examine a gimmick.

Why not? Just because you don't know any does mean it doesn't exist (appeal to ignorance fallacy). To name but one, Anders Modern's Healed & Sealed can be examined. As Mike stated above - various gimmicked cards can be handed out. I've seen entire gimmicked decks handed out - the mind power deck, for example. It's no different in principle to handing the spec a deck with the bottom 10 cards reversed.

"Sorry JB but the ungimmicked version can't be set-up in 15 seconds. Unless you have the secret with you at all times. I mean the big thing, the thing, that is needed to do the thing so that you can perform crush after doing the thing. " - Proven by Jonathan Bayme that it actually can be done. :)

I don't agree with doing the set up that fast due to the methods nature of wanting to wait for a little while but it is possible.

Anyways, yeah....

M.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 10, 2010
Sorry JB but the ungimmicked version can't be set-up in 15 seconds. Unless you have the secret with you at all times. I mean the big thing, the thing, that is needed to do the thing so that you can perform crush after doing the thing.

Sheež, this is hard. Anyways, yeah....

M.

Hey that was really funny how you had to hide stuff that cant be revealed on these forums. Made me smile for quite a while.

Anyway, I haven't performed Crush live, but I know the concept behind it, and I have seen performers doing it, both gimmicked and without the gimmick. From laymen point of view, Crush can be seen, heard, and after performing it can be felt, in awe. From the magician's point of view, this trick is somewhat impromptu, simply because, as previously mentioned, all you need is a bottle and seconds worth of set-up, or putting your gimmick on before leaving home. Is that hard? No.

Stop hating on the trick. The idea is brilliant. The trick is amazing. Stop hating on it. You might wanna try going out there and performing a trick before you actually review it, or you'd just be just an ordinary guy who's dissappointed after finding out what Crush really is about.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
Okay. I'm going to try to summarize briefly and respectfully.

Hardcore close-up performers are having a great time with Crush. Professional magicians, buskers who may or may not be full time/pro, and younger performers who have a new effect to add after having already apparently established themselves with close-up material. In general Crush seems to be going over very well with these kind of performers.

I fall into the "30-something techie who does this as his hobby" stereotype. From what I gather and have read, it's a pretty sizable cross-section of magic enthusiasts. Crush is considerably less practical for me. The only constructive negative review I have read was from someone else in a similar situation.

This doesn't mean the effect sucks, or is inherently bad. Parts of the gimmicked handling left me feeling fairly impressed. Other people are still receiving very positive reactions from performing Crush.

Should the chance to perform this in the wild present itself then I will. I'm curious to see the reactions, and will even try to report back. But finding that chance comes back to what looks like the big dividing point: Crush is not for everyone.

I'll start with the obvious: Look at how long it takes the bottles or cans to Crush in the promotional videos. Do you have the skills to build a full close-up performance around those few seconds? That would be one consideration.

My remaining practicality issues for taking this out of the house quite yet have a lot to do with the actual workings of the effect.

Finally, it makes my kids smile to see it. Even if I only do it at a couple of birthday parties or to entertain the little ones on a boring Sunday afternoon then it has that much value.

So. I hope that in writing, reading, and responding to reviews, people think about matching the effect up to the proper performer. It's my opinion, albeit one based on observation, but Crush looks far more valuable to some groups of performers than to others.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results