David Blaine

Aug 15, 2009
Ireland
Do you like him? I do, but while I was in America performing magic for other magicians I have noticed that some don't like him or "think he's all that". I'm just wondering what the theory11 community think of David Blaine.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
I like his stunts but I hate the way he presents while he does street magic.

I would be the opposite of that. I am not a huge fan of the stunts but I love his magic. While his voice is monotone, he controls his audience and they are sucked in to his magic. I wish I could control my audience like he does.

Apr 26, 2009
i agree, while i dont think his stunts are great, they are impressive. but i LOVE his magic, he is a great magician and a brilliant mind. he presents himself in such a strange way...i love it.

-max

I think he is a brilliant man. One of the smarter minds in magic today.
i like David Blaine...i like his presentation...the monotone voice i love!!!....i'm not sure about brillinat mind, i never knew he came up with any of his stuff.....

however...he is the reason people think magic is kool...he is a pioneer to a lot of people...

a trailblazer..... he is a heck of a person as well, i think the guy has a big heart....

Apr 1, 2009
California
i like David Blaine...i like his presentation...the monotone voice i love!!!....i'm not sure about brillinat mind, i never knew he came up with any of his stuff.....

however...he is the reason people think magic is kool...he is a pioneer to a lot of people...

a trailblazer..... he is a heck of a person as well, i think the guy has a big heart....

Well first off, a brilliant mind in magic does not always fall under what you have created. Brilliance has to do with what you know about the art, etc... I've heard the man speak on the subject many times, and it's unbelievable, his insight. He seems to have a reason for everything he does. A profound reason.

Jan 10, 2008
I am a huge David Blaine fan. I still remember the first time I saw him on TV, I was completely blown away. Before I saw him, I still had an interest in magic but all I had was books here and there either from the library or Barnes and Noble. Most of the books, had ok material. (Most of them were self-working tricks) The only magician I saw before him was David Copperfield and I was under the impression that I couldn't do great magic unless I had money to afford to go to a magic shop.
But when I saw David doing the 2 card monte for that basketball team and the ambitious card. Suddenly my eyes were open, then I began doing my own researches on magic, finding good resources and even greater people, like Jon Racherbaumer to confide in.
I owe everything to David Blaine, he has been a huge inspiration for me.

Mar 2, 2008
I don't like the way he performs or talks but i do like how he re-vamped and brought back magic. For what he did i like but when it comes to his show, I find it ok.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
Just personal opinion really. I don't care for his performing style myself, but he IS famous for a reason. The audience digs him, and he is a good performer.

willtupper

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2009
I thought Paul Harris invented Strange Travellers.

Also, David Blaine is the James Dean of modern magic :).

J

Joseph C

I thought Paul Harris invented Strange Travellers.

Also, David Blaine is the James Dean of modern magic :).

(From the booklet that comes with the trick):

'It's all based on a 75-year old cards-across effect by Harry Hardin called "King's Kards". This is a version of the same effect that Leipzig used to perform. Decades later, David saw the power of this forgotten gem. And then Paul Harris wandered in and decided it could be even better and fine-tuned it.'

I am a huge David Blaine fan. I still remember the first time I saw him on TV, I was completely blown away. Before I saw him, I still had an interest in magic but all I had was books here and there either from the library or Barnes and Noble. Most of the books, had ok material. (Most of them were self-working tricks) The only magician I saw before him was David Copperfield and I was under the impression that I couldn't do great magic unless I had money to afford to go to a magic shop.
But when I saw David doing the 2 card monte for that basketball team and the ambitious card. Suddenly my eyes were open, then I began doing my own researches on magic, finding good resources and even greater people, like Jon Racherbaumer to confide in.
I owe everything to David Blaine, he has been a huge inspiration for me.
i agree....i use to think magic was only for the rich and wealthy....David refeuled the magic world....he gave it a shot in the arm....

the reason why people took to him was great:

he didn't look a magician, he didn't talk like one....

his magic was done purely on the street....

like he first said...no stage hands, or elaborate sets, or fancy show girls...it was different.....

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I like his stunts but I hate the way he presents while he does street magic.

We magicians maybe think that his character is boring, but for laypeople, it is totally gold, it's a fact that David Blaine spent a huge time along with Paul Harris trying to create a character for the show. Before he was working at the NBC he wasn't like that, but I understand that he still still tried to convey this mystical appeareance around him.

Let's think about what works with laymen shall we? I don't see the point of trying to get a character that marvels other magicians. Hell, we don't even like to be fooled most of the time ;).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results