Distortion a rip-off?

Sep 2, 2007
Hey guys. I was wondering...is distortion a rip-off? I mean. if you ask me, you're paying 25 bucks for houchin reallyu., You can get almost the EXACT SAME gimmick at Penguin. I don't buy from penguin etc. but the only difference is the indexess on the card. I won't say, but the people who own it, will know what I'm talking about.

Link: http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=9261

That is the link to Moving point. A penguin effect. look, it;s almost the EXACT SAME. again, you are basically paying since Houchin is teaching it.

Also, how much will witness be? Because if it's to expensive, I'm not buying. I mean, why should I pay big money, for an effect that's in a book I can go out and buy/borrow from one of my friends? which has MORE than that effect in it!

Dizzi.

P.S.: Don't bash me for having my own opinion please....

Oct 8, 2007
Hey guys. I was wondering...is distortion a rip-off? I mean. if you ask me, you're paying 25 bucks for houchin reallyu., You can get almost the EXACT SAME gimmick at Penguin. I don't buy from penguin etc. but the only difference is the indexess on the card. I won't say, but the people who own it, will know what I'm talking about.

Link: http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=9261

That is the link to Moving point. A penguin effect. look, it;s almost the EXACT SAME. again, you are basically paying since Houchin is teaching it.

Also, how much will witness be? Because if it's to expensive, I'm not buying. I mean, why should I pay big money, for an effect that's in a book I can go out and buy/borrow from one of my friends? which has MORE than that effect in it!

Dizzi.

P.S.: Don't bash me for having my own opinion please....

Well, Houchin is a great teacher, and I think it's worth the price

Sep 8, 2007
Adelaide, Australia
The Penguin effect is not the original either
You'll probably find with a bit of research that it has been around well before they openned their doors also.

I may be wrong, but I believe that it was a Japanese magician that created it originally.

Reuben Wong

Elite Member
Oct 1, 2007
Singapore
www.youtube.com
Yes you are right.
The one at Penguin is probably the very same one Cyril used.

In fact is was not only till recently that they shipped the 4D to 6D moving point internationally.
Previously it was just 5S to 4S or basically one moving point only.
The original link is actually http://www.seomagic.com/gentei.htm

The gimmick is entirely different as well.

I don't own their 4D to 6D version, but I do have their other version.

cheers,
R™

Last edited by a moderator:
I would buy distortion if i could, wayne is a good teacher and most likely a better gimmick. Problem is I am from Australia and my parents dont liek itnernet shopping... 65$ AU = 50$ US at my local store.... zzzz.... 25$ US= 35$ AU which is a bargain

Get it before u miss it

like every product on the site so far, its a copy of a old effect that shows up in print various places. five times five japan has a good version. in anycase im guessing the routine is waynes, but its funny that all the "fresh new underground magic" is stuff thats been around for 30 years or more and widly known to magicians...

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
Also, how much will witness be? Because if it's to expensive, I'm not buying.

Just don't buy, seriously; You are not forced to buy every single effect of this site to be part of the forum.

I mean, why should I pay big money, for an effect that's in a book I can go out and buy/borrow from one of my friends?

And no, nobody asks you to pay for it either if you don't want it , so you don't need to ask yourself "why should I pay big money?"

Hey guys. I was wondering...is distortion a rip-off? I mean. if you ask me, you're paying 25 bucks for houchin reallyu., You can get almost the EXACT SAME gimmick at Penguin

It's really not only the matter of getting the gimmick. The most important is the way how you use it; and you 'll learn a few good ones from Wayne.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Canada
In the Distortion credits it says this...

No one from Theory 11 is claiming to have invented the moving pips gimmick. If you complain about this on our forums, we will eat you.

Sep 2, 2007
Thanks guys. I mean, for not bashing me. lol. Also, I want to buy witness, but I don't really want to pay big bucks for something IO can get in book form with other effects as well. One of my friends, the one who told me about moving point, said that he owns that one, and had scince before Distortion came out. New era is a completely different method than moving point, OR Distortion by the way.

Aug 31, 2007
Well if you want to go on price alone for the gimmick, you can order a replacement after you buy Distortion and it would come out cheaper than if you bought a Moving Pips gimmick alone. But, I cannot say of the quality of the Moving Pips gimmick (it might be better, I don't know).

And by the way, New Era Moving Pips looks like garbage in close up.

Sep 2, 2007
it does. lkooks AMAZING on video, and great at parlour (Most liekly) but I don't like it close up....

Aug 30, 2007
Please, try not to expose how any effect works, whether it's a Theory 11 trick or someone else's.
Thanks.

2 cents: I would suggest care when posting about gimmicks or anything relating directly to the method of an effect, but in this particular case, Distortion is gimmicked and I would guess that most magicians would assume so after watching the preview. No harm done (in my opinion), but please continue to be cautious when posting about things of this nature.

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen the credits on the DVD, we are using this gimmick with permission and are not claiming to have invented it. Distortion is Houchin's routine with it. You're paying to learn it from him in a visual medium. If that's not what you are looking for (which is an understandable position), you can purchase similar gimmicks from other places.

Dana

Sep 2, 2007
I believe that this will answers most of questions about Distortion and its origins:

Hey guys. I appreciate the discussion & search for truth & honesty. The history of the moving pip card is thoroughly explained on the DVD:

The Moving Pip card (the gimmick that makes this possible) has been around since at least the 1970's. It looks like it may have origniated from Japan. It was first done as a stage gag using a jumbo card. In 1980, Michael Ammar was the first (as far as we can tell) to have the moving pip card made with a NORMAL poker sized playing card. In 1981 he published his routine using the card "Visually Yours." Michael graciously contributed his routine to the Distortion project & it is taught & performed as a bonus - on the DVD.

So what is Distortion? "Distortion" is MY routine using the Moving Pip gimmick, just like "Visually Yours" is Michael Ammar's routine using the Moving Pip gimmick. I have worked out a transposition effect that creates quite an impact.

So, to sum it all up: The Moving Pip gimmick that you recieve with the DVD has been around for a long time. Michael Ammar was the first to have it made with a normal sized poker card. Michael's fantastic routine "Visually Yours" is taught on the DVD with HIS permission & blessing. "Distortion" is MY routine using the same gimmick.

I hope that clears some things up. Feel free to copy and paste this response, or link to it, if you see others asking the same questions. Thanks!

Cheers,
JTM

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Guys,

I have edited / deleted a few posts here for being -- like Maxim magazine -- way to revealing. Only in this case, it's a bad thing.

I'm going to keep it open for now. Word.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results