Effect Names

Sep 1, 2007
I believe trick names have more appeal. Certainly "Indecent" is better than "Card through plastic bag" or "Panic" is better than "Vanishing Deck". True, you won't know what the trick is, but part of the suspense is finding out what it is exactly. Read the description, watch the demo, and feel like a little kid again once you find out what you can do with it. In fact, Theory 11 is also a fancy name for "11 of the top magicians", right? :D

Sep 1, 2007
New York
If you go back to older magic books (turn of the 19th century), authors offer titles for effects like 'Method Five' or 'Variation Seven'.

Would you really want theory11 magic to be called 'Fisher's vanishing deck' or 'Houchin's moving pips?'

Those titles tip the effect.

In my opinion, it's like watching a movie titled "Luke Skywalker is Darth Vader's Son."

See what I mean?

As magicians, if we cannot appreciate suspense and mystery -- how can we offer it to our audiences to appreciate?

Let's keep talking about this...

The floor is open.

Asher

Well, we're all watching the demos and reading the ad copy, so I think we know what the effect is before we buy it. I'm not sure where the "suspense and mystery" is. I mean, if you just wanted to market something called "Panic" and have people buy it on faith and learn what it is when they get it, I suppose that would be mysterious.

I think when you've just got a few effects out, these names might initially stand out and seem bold and different. But, over the long term, I think names like "Panic" and "Distortion" seem increasingly generic. I work in film, and there's been a trend in movie titling -- particularly of thrillers -- towards these one-word titles as well. And a lot of people have commented that these types of titles are increasingly a turn-off. Audiences can't keep the names straight. Five years from now, I'm sure that, in my head, I will think of "Distortion" as "Houchin's version of the moving pip effect."

As an example of alternative titles that do work, I'd reference a lot of the titles in the AOA books. Some of these are really clever, like "What's Up, Babycakes." It's totally non-descriptive but at the same time it is. My problem with titles like "Panic" is that they are pretty interchangeable. I mean, "Panic" could just as easily apply to any number of other effects. There's nothing specific about it to make me think about what Aaron's trick actually is. And, ultimately, I don't think these titles are particularly imaginative precisely because they feel grafted onto the trick as opposed to being a clever turn of phrase inspired by the trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
One side of the fence believes the name should express the nature of the effect, while the other side of the fence believes suspense and mystery has its place (even in the title).

Where do you sit?

Asher

Hmm interesting topic...

Marketing, friends is a part of the sale.
A hip name with a hint of the subject sells half of the trick in my opinion.
The other half being the nature and practicality of the trick.
Permutations offer a 50-50 choice for every trick, the name and marketing can sell it to an extent but the quality of the material can make it last, T11 products promise to have the quality, then why not take them a step ahead witht he funky name?

If you go back to older magic books (turn of the 19th century), authors offer titles for effects like 'Method Five' or 'Variation Seven'.

Would you really want theory11 magic to be called 'Fisher's vanishing deck' or 'Houchin's moving pips?'

Those titles tip the effect.

In my opinion, it's like watching a movie titled "Luke Skywalker is Darth Vader's Son."
See what I mean?

As magicians, if we cannot appreciate suspense and mystery -- how can we offer it to our audiences to appreciate?

Let's keep talking about this...

The floor is open.

Asher

Well dang Lee, you ruined the movie for me!

(PS: When you getting home? I sent you an email a month or two about autographed cards, and you said you were on tour for 3 months? When ya getting back, cause I sent a card.)

Thanks,
Evan

Aug 30, 2007
Some of the names don't relate directly to the effect they are attached to, but I personally like that. It is an artistic choice that allows the effect to define the name, rather than the name to define the effect (just like Theory 11 is defined by what we as a group do, not by what it's called - thatnewonlinemagicsite.com).

Take Panic, for example. The name does mean something (it's in reference to one of Aaron Fisher's favorite groups, Widespread Panic), so it's not just an arbitrary word. Calling it "Panic" and not "Vanishing Deck" also allows for an instant distinction between it and other vanishing deck effects. Since the effect defines the name, there isn't a need to explain which version of the vanishing deck you're doing / we're releasing / etc. Panic is Aaron Fisher's version. It keeps things easier to follow, means something to the creator, and I personally like it as an artistic choice. You may still think it sucks, but you can blame that on Aaron and his taste in music. See? See, how I shifted all of the blame over to you Aaron? That wasn't very nice of me.

Dana

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results