First Real People Performances of SMOKE

May 9, 2008
Casey you show poor judgement for performing smoke at school. It's for that very reason why T11 marketed it as 18 years and older.

Your immaturity with regard to your prop/effect selection surpasses your audience's enjoyment. You placed yourself at risk for being expelled for smoking on school property by performing that effect, and you insult the trust T11 placed in you when you bought the DVD from them. Unless you failed to read the warning before the DVD even started (and it's obvious that you did, or that you are ignoring it) you, by right of purchase, agreed to use the effect wisely.

I'm really glad you had a successful run of it, and by the looks of things you got lucky this time, but this isn't something you should be doing. I'm glad to see you're being creative, but I wish you would be smarter about it. School, and with smoke, just isn't a good idea.

I would certainly hope that in the future you'll show better judgement with regards to what you perform and where. Casey, you disappointed me. I expected better from you.

William Draven

Just my opinion, but I think you're overreacting a just a bit. The fact of the matter is he wasn't smoking on school property, so it would be impossible for him to be expelled. All he would have to do is give his principle a link to the website to prove his point. It's a mini-fog machine, that's all. He didn't have any matches or lighters on him. I don't think his prop decision had anything to do with how mature he is. In fact, I think it was his maturity that gave him the confidence to perform the effect knowing that he wasn't doing anything wrong. If you're not doing anything wrong, you shouldn't be afraid of getting in trouble. I think most adults who saw smoke coming out of his mouth would be right to assume that he was smoking, but after a couple of simple questions, that could be cleared up.

Draven, have you actually received the DVD and gimmick yet? Do you know what the gimmick is? It was my understanding that they were sold out when you attempted to purchase it. Therefore how could you know what's on the DVD?

Last edited by a moderator:

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Casey you show poor judgement for performing smoke at school. It's for that very reason why T11 marketed it as 18 years and older.

Your immaturity with regard to your prop/effect selection surpasses your audience's enjoyment. You placed yourself at risk for being expelled for smoking on school property by performing that effect, and you insult the trust T11 placed in you when you bought the DVD from them. Unless you failed to read the warning before the DVD even started (and it's obvious that you did, or that you are ignoring it) you, by right of purchase, agreed to use the effect wisely.

I'm really glad you had a successful run of it, and by the looks of things you got lucky this time, but this isn't something you should be doing. I'm glad to see you're being creative, but I wish you would be smarter about it. School, and with smoke, just isn't a good idea.

I would certainly hope that in the future you'll show better judgement with regards to what you perform and where. Casey, you disappointed me. I expected better from you.

William Draven

Like I said before, I was OFF SCHOOL PROPERTY. I was being aware of my surroundings before I even performed it, making sure there was nothing for any adult to suspect. I think I know when I can and when I can't use it, since I actually own it. Saying that I disappointed you by performing an awesome effect doesn't make sense. I see where you are coming from, but I know the limits of performing this. I'm in no way an idiot.

-Casey

Sep 1, 2007
Ontario, Canada

William Draven

Wow. Overreacting. Seriously. I am buying Smoke when it comes back in stock because I think it is genius. My magician friend showed me how it worked because he got one and I think its fantastic.

The sole reason Im getting this is to perform at school. Many Many people smoke at school and its NOT illegal. Now weed is different but they wont automatically assume your doing that. So I dont know where people are getting the idea that you could get expelled from doing this.

This is High School, not Grade School guys.

Nov 8, 2007
Many Many people smoke at school and its NOT illegal... So I dont know where people are getting the idea that you could get expelled from doing this... This is High School, not Grade School guys.

Perhaps it's different in Canada, but in the US students are not allowed to smoke on school grounds.

Definitely not something I would recommend students performing at their school. Props to Casey for having the good judgment and patience to do the effect when he was off school grounds. Especially with all the excitement he has going for the effect.

Meh. I'll concede that I perhaps was over reacting a bit. I missed the off school grounds part, (though I've known schools to go after kids regardless of where they are).

I retract my post, with my apologies to Casey.

Jul 14, 2010
wow you americans need to relax a little bit

its not THAT big of a deal to blow smoke out of your mouth for like 3 seconds..you ll be fine.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
Great man :D I told you it was awesome haha it's really the best thing in the world since cut dinosaur. I just hope this thing stays underground :D I'm getting a second unit in the mail soon for safe keeping :D

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
Glad to hear that this went as well as it did. So having smoke coming out of your mouth, it didn't seem awkward? That's the thing... I would think about it looking pretty odd... I was going to get this effect, but this was the thought that stopped me... I showed the preview vid to my family, and they said thought it wouldn't be a good idea... I mean seriously, smoke coming out of a teenager's mouth... People might call the police :) jk... But it didn't feel awkward? Then I might seriously get this later...

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Glad to hear that this went as well as it did. So having smoke coming out of your mouth, it didn't seem awkward? That's the thing... I would think about it looking pretty odd... I was going to get this effect, but this was the thought that stopped me... I showed the preview vid to my family, and they said thought it wouldn't be a good idea... I mean seriously, smoke coming out of a teenager's mouth... People might call the police :) jk... But it didn't feel awkward? Then I might seriously get this later...

If your family does not agree then don't really bother with it until they decide otherwise. I had permission from my dad and my mom that I could do this, and I promised to use it respectfully and with maturity. If they didn't trust me I would in no way have gotten Smoke. From what i read it doesn't look like it fits your style. If your parents are uncomfortable with the idea, like i said earlier, don't bother with it.

-Casey

Jun 10, 2010
Draven, schools wouldn't have much jurisdiction over you "smoking" off school grounds. Unless it's at a bus-stop or something, someone I know once got in trouble for a fight at a bus stop after-school.

Off topic: Casey, get on tinychat? Emily's being a *****.. as usual.

Sep 7, 2008
At my school, you are still under school supervision from the moment you leave your house until the moment you return. That means even walking to and from the bus stop. However, even if you're 18, I think all schools have a tobacco free campus.

At any rate, congrats Casey! I had the gimmick when Alan called it "Shmoke" and I want to purchase the new one because I sold the last one. Seems like a fun effect with some cool, new presentations!

Sep 1, 2007
Ontario, Canada
At my school, you are still under school supervision from the moment you leave your house until the moment you return. That means even walking to and from the bus stop. However, even if you're 18, I think all schools have a tobacco free campus.

At any rate, congrats Casey! I had the gimmick when Alan called it "Shmoke" and I want to purchase the new one because I sold the last one. Seems like a fun effect with some cool, new presentations!

Thats weird.

EDITED: Dont feel like arguing with people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Thats weird. If your not on school grounds, then your not under their control. I wouldn't be having any of that. Plus were not allowed to smoke on the property but were allowed by the road next to the football field. But anyways... its not smoking. Its a magic trick. If your doing smoke, and smoke comes out of your mouth, the teacher can search you on the spot. They will not find anything. If your not doing anything wrong then theres nothing to worry about.

Or you can stop trying to act like a smart ass and just perform when you are not around the School. Problem solved and everybody comes out a winner.

Jan 19, 2010
California
I am thinking of getting it, is the gimmick sturdy enough to take to school without destroying it, and during class, where do you keep it

It makes me happy to read stories of sucessful performances. I'm glad it went so well for you. You'll just need to remember to not be a trick monkey and pander to every single request to perform it. Treat it more like a mirical than just a magic trick because thats what its designed to be :).

I recieved mine today, haven't had a chance to perform it yet but I can't wait xD Now my brains racking itself to try and come up with alternate routines than the ones taught on the DVD.

Nice job Casey and good luck with future performances with Smoke (Y)

JL

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results