Forum Suggestion

I'd like to recommend a simple tweek for the forums that is already available on other forums online.

It's a reputation button. It works like a like or dislike button that is attached to each person's profile.

Everyone has an availability to give good rep or bad rep on each post that someone makes.

I further recommend an additional tweek.

The lower a persons rep, the more limited their ability should be to post. The higher a persons rep, the more rep power they have when giving rep to other people. for example one of their rep votes may be worth two of a lesser rep level individual.

Jul 18, 2009
William Draven,
I don't mean to come off rude but stuff like this drives me crazy. People would get in arguments all of the time over this, and what would it actually accomplish?
Oh yeah, it is spelt tweak, not tweek.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Heh,
I actually like the idea. I think the benefit of it would be that people would actually think before they post. I don't know if you would need to limit peoples posting ability tho, just don't allow those without a certain level of rep to give rep points. It would help people more easily distinguish advice that comes from a more respected source.

Despite the angry mob you have stirred up Draven, I like the idea.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
An interesting idea. However, I don't think everyone should be able to give rep. It should be limited to people that already have a certain reputation. Otherwise you'll have people giving bad rep to those they just don't like.

I'm not sure what you mean by limiting posting ability, though. Amount of posts per day, length of posts, ability to link to videos or post pictures?

If people of a certain reputation level or better are the only ones to be able to award rep, then you wouldn't need the weighted system. Which I think is good, since it both limits the amount of work that goes into creating it, and also prevents someone with a very high rep from nuking someone else just because they have a bad day or something.

Basically this system would create another level between regular posters and moderators.

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
I'd like to recommend a simple tweek for the forums that is already available on other forums online.

It's a reputation button. It works like a like or dislike button that is attached to each person's profile.

Everyone has an availability to give good rep or bad rep on each post that someone makes.

This would not be a bad idea for these forums. This way, any newcomers will know whose posts to pay more attention to based on the votes they have received. It will also help quantify a person's contribution to discussion on these forums (if that is what you intend).

I further recommend an additional tweek.

The lower a persons rep, the more limited their ability should be to post. The higher a persons rep, the more rep power they have when giving rep to other people. for example one of their rep votes may be worth two of a lesser rep level individual.

I don't agree with this tweak. It would silence those who have less of a reputation. Even worse, people might not express views that go against the grain for fear of lowering their score, which in turn lowers their visibility. It might also lead to "power users" who tend to dominate all discussion (may seem unlikely, but it has happened in other forums).

It would be a bad idea for these forums for one reason.... many people on these forums are new, and dont really know what they are talking about. Forums like decknique, where you havea lot of experienced people, the idea is good. Not here.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert

Then I wouldn't be able to post as much as I do. A lot of people here dislike me and they would only "unrep" me for the sake of it.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Exactly. I think the rep by itself is okay. But not causing it to limit posts...

I'm not generalising here( well yeah I am doing it) but how many of us REALLY post? by that I mean, how many of us really try to discuss intelligent topics?

The thing about rep, is that it would give every forum member here a biased view, as I said, I myself would have troubles, or people like Steerpike (wich a lot of times it's the catalyst for a interesting discussion".

Viewing the "rep" of a person would only make us see him in a biased way along with his post. Instead, if we don't use the rep system each person would have a unbiased decision of either learning from a post or just cast it away.

Besides the only thing I would see working it for would be for a couple of ego boosts around here ;).

Dec 18, 2009
I'm not generalising here( well yeah I am doing it) but how many of us REALLY post? by that I mean, how many of us really try to discuss intelligent topics?

The thing about rep, is that it would give every forum member here a biased view, as I said, I myself would have troubles, or people like Steerpike (wich a lot of times it's the catalyst for a interesting discussion".

Viewing the "rep" of a person would only make us see him in a biased way along with his post. Instead, if we don't use the rep system each person would have a unbiased decision of either learning from a post or just cast it away.

Besides the only thing I would see working it for would be for a couple of ego boosts around here ;).

So you're saying that you think rep would cause people to think badly of someone before even getting to know them? And yes, I am one of the people who would de-rep steerpike :p. No offense.

Sep 1, 2007
Then I wouldn't be able to post as much as I do. A lot of people here dislike me and they would only "unrep" me for the sake of it.

And this highlights the inherent problem with reputation systems. They are dependent entirely on the community and the politics therein. Around here, the validity of your thoughts, opinions and contributions would be largely irrelevant to the system. More important to most people would be how popular those thoughts are.

Thus somebody with talent and ambition like RD could have a lower reputation than a hack like Liam Walsh due to simple politics.

So you're saying that you think rep would cause people to think badly of someone before even getting to know them?

No, he knows it. This is a text-based environment. Lacking over 90% of the elements of face-to-face communication that gives us the power to make better judgment calls, we latch on to whatever we can. I've seen rep systems abused, which leads me to the conclusion that there is no substitute for accomplishment and word of mouth.

And yes, I am one of the people who would de-rep steerpike :p. No offense.

This rather proves my point. Would a rep system tell you anything about my intelligence and experience? Would it tell you anything about the validity of my arguments? Or would it only serve to paint me as a sardonic, foul-mouthed elitist with no depth or nuance?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Neat idea, but really that's all it is. In it's practical use everybody would be abusing it. "Hey acted like a jerk in whatever post." *dereps person.*

Jul 13, 2009
Hmmm in a community full of good has a community full of great. Unfortunately for the great, they are marked as bad and have the insides of their fireproof houses burned for breaking conformity.

*Pops his wrap around earphones shaped like shells back into his ears.*

edit

I should give my thoughts,

I think it would be a great idea! Mostly because I am curious onto what myself others rep would look like, *jumps from foot to foot excited* oooo social experiments could be had.

Mar 4, 2010

Concur. And that's all because they didn't like a post I contributed to a thread that they had to attack me over. Hmm. Intriguing.

Jul 13, 2009
Am vos es narro in coherent sentences. EGO have regained aliquantulus fides in vos secundum totus.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results