Good News For Me....

As some of you may have read I had recently performed a magic show for some older kids and the show had gone all wrong. But, my dad decided to be one hell of a role model and give me some of the best, and most surprising advice, that I had ever heard come out of his mouth about my magic. It went like this.

"Dylan, don't beat yourself up over the show. Yeah, it didn't go well, but look, the show is only 10% tricks and 90% showmanship. And you had great tricks and showmanship. It just happens that these kids were older than you then what the employer lead you to believe.

Just move on. But, don't ever forget this show. As much as you may hate to think about it, you do need to think about it. Use it as a learning expirience and keep going.

If magic is something you'd like to turn into a career and try to get famous then your mother and I would have no issue with that after college. but, you need to remember this show and learn from it and learn to tweak the show a bit more. But don't sweat it."

Well, today I performed my first show since that terrible show and I am pleased to announce that everything went off without a hitch. Not one trick was discovered by the audiance, which consisted of four to eleveen year olds. I will quickly run through the show.

LIST OF TRICKS IN ORDER OF PERFORMANCE...

Pull Silk from hat...
Silk through neck...
Silk dissapears...
Another one appears...
It changes colors...
Then I produce sponge balls...
My own Sponge routine...
Dissapear them...
My own Impromtu Coin through bottle...
Professors nightmare...
Cut and Restored Rope...
Chinese Linking Rings...
Magic Milk Pitcher...

Everything was great and I made fifty bucks for a forty-five minute show. OH!!! And I got free cake and ice cream. That's always a plus...

Dylan P.

Oct 24, 2007
As some of you may have read I had recently performed a magic show for some older kids and the show had gone all wrong. But, my dad decided to be one hell of a role model and give me some of the best, and most surprising advice, that I had ever heard come out of his mouth about my magic. It went like this.

"Dylan, don't beat yourself up over the show. Yeah, it didn't go well, but look, the show is only 10% tricks and 90% showmanship. And you had great tricks and showmanship. It just happens that these kids were older than you then what the employer lead you to believe.

Just move on. But, don't ever forget this show. As much as you may hate to think about it, you do need to think about it. Use it as a learning expirience and keep going.

If magic is something you'd like to turn into a career and try to get famous then your mother and I would have no issue with that after college. but, you need to remember this show and learn from it and learn to tweak the show a bit more. But don't sweat it."

Well, today I performed my first show since that terrible show and I am pleased to announce that everything went off without a hitch. Not one trick was discovered by the audiance, which consisted of four to eleveen year olds. I will quickly run through the show.

LIST OF TRICKS IN ORDER OF PERFORMANCE...

Pull Silk from hat...
Silk through neck...
Silk dissapears...
Another one appears...
It changes colors...
Then I produce sponge balls...
My own Sponge routine...
Dissapear them...
My own Impromtu Coin through bottle...
Professors nightmare...
Cut and Restored Rope...
Chinese Linking Rings...
Magic Milk Pitcher...

Everything was great and I made fifty bucks for a forty-five minute show. OH!!! And I got free cake and ice cream. That's always a plus...

Dylan P.

Sounds awesome dude! Glad to hear that everything went well. I know you probably won't, but just to enforce it, don't ever forget what your dad said to you. ;) Congratulations on the show!

Tyler

Jul 8, 2008
Yes I don't know a single person who nailed the first show ever, and I'm no exception. I remember my first show and it totally bombed lol, even if I got one more hiring from that lol, that second one still wasn't my best haha. Good news!

Mar 11, 2009
Glad to hear that you learned from your first. A failure is only a failure if you fail to learn from it, but that sounded like success to me. Keep it up.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Dylan, I am 31 years old and my first paid show was one year ago. It was nothing to get overly excited about either. When I look back on it....it was mediocre at best but you learn so much through experience.

I have since then done about 10 more shows and they just keep getting better and better. You'll be great, don't worry.

Keep up the good work. Improve upon your routine. Throw out the effects that were just so-so and keep the ones that got the best involvement and reactions. Think about what patter you used that got some laughs and ditch the one liners that got a groan or two.

Every show will teach you something new. I am still learning. Magic is exciting. You will see yourself grow and improve so much over time.

Jan 13, 2008
I'm glad to see that you learned from, and moved past, your prior (not-so-great) experience, and had a wonderful time doing it. :)

Seriously...it's great to see that there are some members on here who can learn from their mistakes, take advice, etc, and who actually get out and perform for real people. Awesome dude! :)

Dylan,

I'm glad your second show went so well! See you CAN do it! I don't think I know anyone who has ever had great shows 100% of the time. Everyone fails sooner or later. It happens to us all, but that's not whats important. Your dad is dead on right about what he said. What's important is that you learn from it, get back on your feet and do it again!

"It isn't a mistake until you refuse to learn from it." -My Kindergarden Teacher.

Keep up the good work!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results