History of the Lean?

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
I've been pretty interested in a particular effect that seems to be getting more and more popular. I've seen countless magicians use it in their stage/manipulations acts. It's called: The Lean.

For those of you who dont know, the Lean is basically an effect where the magician is able to lean incredibly low (30 to 45 degrees from the ground) without falling.

I've known this effect and how it works for a long time now. But i recently became more and more interested a particular celebrity that has gotten lots of attention lately. Michael Jackson.

Now It's ironic cuz i wasnt much of a MJ fan while he was alive. But since he died, i thought it would only be fair to listen to some of his songs to see if they were as good as everyone said they were. And yes, they were incredible.

After listening to some of his songs, i ran into what is now my favorite MJ song: Smooth Criminal. I really liked the catchy tune in the song. So i typed in "smooth criminal" on youtube one day and one of the related searches read "Smooth criminal the lean". That instantly caught my attention.

I watched a live performance of Smooth Criminal and during the solo, Michael Jackson and 5 other dancers simultaneously did the Lean. Many of the comments under it praised MJ on creating such a genius effect. I was confused at that point cuz from my previous knowledge, the Lean was made by Doug Malloy, not Michael Jackson.

So it's just an issue that has been bugging me for days so i just decided to ask the people of T11 if they would know anything about this. So for all you magic historians out there: What can you tell me about the Lean?

I've been pretty interested in a particular effect that seems to be getting more and more popular. I've seen countless magicians use it in their stage/manipulations acts. It's called: The Lean.

For those of you who dont know, the Lean is basically an effect where the magician is able to lean incredibly low (30 to 45 degrees from the ground) without falling.

I've known this effect and how it works for a long time now. But i recently became more and more interested a particular celebrity that has gotten lots of attention lately. Michael Jackson.

Now It's ironic cuz i wasnt much of a MJ fan while he was alive. But since he died, i thought it would only be fair to listen to some of his songs to see if they were as good as everyone said they were. And yes, they were incredible.

After listening to some of his songs, i ran into what is now my favorite MJ song: Smooth Criminal. I really liked the catchy tune in the song. So i typed in "smooth criminal" on youtube one day and one of the related searches read "Smooth criminal the lean". That instantly caught my attention.

I watched a live performance of Smooth Criminal and during the solo, Michael Jackson and 5 other dancers simultaneously did the Lean. Many of the comments under it praised MJ on creating such a genius effect. I was confused at that point cuz from my previous knowledge, the Lean was made by Doug Malloy, not Michael Jackson.

So it's just an issue that has been bugging me for days so i just decided to ask the people of T11 if they would know anything about this. So for all you magic historians out there: What can you tell me about the Lean?
i'll be doing a MJ tribute, down here in mississippi....i'll do the lean and other visual magic, like human transpo's and stuff...it'll be good...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results