How do you know if an effect you created has been done?

Nov 3, 2010
Hey everyone at Theory 11 this is my first thread. I wanted to ask all the other members this question . I have created a card control and other things as well. i have researched all controls and effects to try to see if there is anything similar but i cant seem to find anything similar on the internet. I have asked other magicians and most are not sure. What is the best way you can find out if something has been created?

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Hey everyone at Theory 11 this is my first thread. I wanted to ask all the other members this question . I have created a card control and other things as well. i have researched all controls and effects to try to see if there is anything similar but i cant seem to find anything similar on the internet. I have asked other magicians and most are not sure. What is the best way you can find out if something has been created?

Jason England has a great understanding of books and concepts in magic, why don't you try shooting him a Pm showing what you have? I'm pretty sure he will tell you whetever if the concept has around or not.

Also Aaron fisher has a great understanding in card controls.

Eiter way, you can miss with either of those two guys.

Short answer: you don't.
You just simply have to ask around, or search through various resources.
However, unless you're planning on releasing your stuff, in kind of an honour to find that you've created the same thing as a professional. It's a good feeling.

Here's what I've done. If it's a good effect that already exists, than there's a gaurantee someone somewhere has a video of themselves doing it on Youtube. So start there by typing in all the keywords that relate to your effect, & see if you see anything simlar to what you have. If you cant find your idea, than the next step is to Google it, again to see if it has already been created. Than finally, post a detailed description of the effect on all the magic forums, but without revealing the method (in case it is original), & ask all the magicians if they have ever seen or are aware of an existing effect that's simlar to the effect you described. If so, than research it. If no one has, chances are you might be on to something. Than to double make sure, just like RDChopper said, ask Jason England, &/or any other magician who has an expert knowlegde of card magic.

Dec 26, 2009
Than finally, post a detailed description of the effect on all the magic forums, but without revealing the method (in case it is original), & ask all the magicians if they have ever seen or are aware of an existing effect that's simlar to the effect you described. If so, than research it. If no one has, chances are you might be on to something. Than to double make sure, just like RDChopper said, ask Jason England, &/or any other magician who has an expert knowlegde of card magic.

Honestly, I do not agree with this part. I think you should ask a single magician first. Why would you post a detailed description of your original stuff for the possibility of thousands of magicians to see? Let's face it magicians are jerks. That's why magicians use the term "fooled". We try to figure out the method to the things we see before knowing the actual method and when we can't figure it out we are "fooled". So why give them the building blocks to figure out your effect or sleight in giving them a detailed description?

In all actuality, it will be very VERY difficult to get anywhere as far as figuring out the originality of an effect by only giving a description of the effect or sleight. Without explaining the method it is near impossible to trace any type of originality. Let's say you created a color change. Without explaining the method you would say something along the lines of, "I have created a color change where you have a card chosen and lost into the middle of the pack. I then turn over the top indifferent card and wave my hand over the top and it changes to the chosen card." In case you are wondering that describes about 98% of all color changes. I know using color changes as the example may be a little strange but ALL magic effects are like this.

In your case Patrick, you have created a card control. Without explaining the method you would say something like, "I have a card chosen and lost into the middle of the deck. It is then controlled to the top/bottom of the deck." There is no other way to describe something like that without tipping the method and do you see where giving a description without the method will get you? NOWHERE!

I say email one knowledgeable magician and actually give them the method. It is near impossible to figure out if something has been done without knowing the method. Better yet, in the case of explaining something you believe to be new, you may want to make a video explanation along with a well written explanation. Email them a link to the video of you explaining the method or you could ask if they would have the time to do a skype session. It can't hurt to ask. The worst thing they can tell you is "NO" and as a performer you need to get used to hearing it anyway.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results