If you've ever invented a trick...

Mar 13, 2009
Hey, I wanted to create a thread for you guys to describe effects you may have created over the years.
Obviously, no exposure allowed, but If you want to post, go ahead :)
I thought I'd kick things off, but I cant be bothered typing my trick description back out, so I'll just add the link :)

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=20947

Cheers, looking forward to hearing some of your ideas...(Rhyming FTW)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
mastic, ny
I invented a trick and its still in the making. I have a back story for this too.

Spectator picks a cards, shuffles it into the deck, and tries to find the card. Ask the spectator if this is it and they say no. Then I will explain that I will find there card in a very historical way. Then I explain how Bicycle used to hide maps within the cards back during world war 2. If you dunk the card in water, you can actually peal about the card and reveal a map.

(While I explain the history, I would take some water from somewhere and make the card wet and slowly tear the card, and reveal there choosing card within the mistaking one)

Still working on it. But that's the idea of it. Hope you like the creative side.

-Sean

Jul 19, 2009
theres a trick ive been working on based on Ray Kosbys "jack in the box"

u ask the spectator to pick a card. the deck is then put back in the box. the spectators card is then placed on the face of the box. the performer waves his hand and the card has vanished. the performer pulls the cards out of the box and 1 card is face up. their selection. completley examinable.

its an ok trick.

-M.

oh and limpbiz2789. ive also been working on a trick with the exact same concept of yours lol. what a coincidence.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Absolutely Impossible Card Prediction. Impossible scenario. Impossible results.

One effect I've created is a card prediction, where there is a card from a different deck is in a sealed envelope and is given to a spectator to guard.

-Another spectator removes the deck from the box, shuffles as much as they want, then deals out the cards onto the table.
-They stop when ever they want. They are given free choice to stop or continue or even take some back.
-Once they have stopped, the spectator opens the prediction and shows everyone. The other spectator turns over the card they stopped at, and of course it's a perfect match.
-Everything is examinable before and after, and I never touch the deck at all the entire time. Oh, and the deck can be borrowed.

The patter is about how it is the most impossible card trick. I never touch the deck the entire time, the prediction is in full view the entire time, the prediction is revealed before anyone looks at the spectators freely chosen card. It presents very well. They have nothing to grab onto. Very similar effect to Dean Dill's Revelation, but without the binder.

justin

B

Ben_Ionesco

Ive been working on a few and am planning to release them soon. just to name a few:

"Jack is a Pick-Pocket" - The magician tells how the black jacks are his favourite cards. The spectator then picks a card which is placed in their hand. With just a wave, the magician reveals the selected card and the spectator is seen to be holding a black jack. He then takes the cards back and places the spectators selection on the table and hands the deck out. Again with just a wave the card on the table is shown to be a black jack. The deck is then searched for the selection but is not found. The magician then shows his empty hand and then reaches into his back pocket and pulls out the selection.

"Looks Can Be Decieving" - The spectator picks a card which is cut into the deck. The magician then proceeds to show a card, look at the spectator, and then place it on the table going through the deck. The spectator sees their card dropped to the table but the magician continues until only one card in his hand, the selection. The deck is then spread to eliminate to use of foul play.

"Faro Prediction" - The magician faro shuffles the deck pulling out a card from the middle stating that this will be his prediction card. He then loses it in the deck within a flourish. The magician then begins dealing cards from the bottom of the deck and asks the spectator to stop him at any time. When he/she does the next card is revealed to be the predictied card.

"C.C.T.S" - Three different spectators each pick a freely selected card which are lost in the deck within a flourish one at a time. The magician then asks the third spectator to name his/her card and he then motions, points and a card flies from the deck into the spectators hands. He then does the same for Spectator 2 and 1.

"Triumph Card Reverse" - The magician spreads through the deck and asks the spectator to touch a card. That card is then shown and the spread is closed. With no fancy moves, the magician cuts the deck twice. The selected card is now the only card face up in the face down deck.

All are completely 100% impromptu, include plenty of variations and are elegant in their simplicity. Am currently in the process of filming them for the release but will post info soon

Nov 8, 2007
I came up with an impromptu card at any number I'm kind of proud of. I've shown it to a few of my magician friends and got quite a few of them on it (not that that means anything). Seems to go over really well. Still polishing it up, but it's probably my favorite thing I've come up with as I love CAAN effects. Nothing revolutionary, but it's a straight forward method and it works.

Mar 13, 2009
Hey, I am loving the ideas so far guys, they all sound great :)
Has anyone ever invented a really offbeat trick, like my Star vanish, which has nothing at all to do with cards or coins??
I'm interested in hearings the responses, as I find these types of tricks very powerful, and much more deceptive than regular card tricks.

Cheers

Jul 13, 2009

Too many to name really. However, there is a new one you can see here.

Just going to plug these in again it was getting to dark for me over in my corner.
Just pointing out you are very interested in self created effects and marketing I applaud you for attempting to get noticed.

Some effects I have done in the past,

The Phoenix Theory
Write down the serial number to a paper currency, burn that bill and resurrect it from the ashes.

Psychic Welding
A spectator takes out a quarter from there pocket/purse and I leave it under there care the same spectator merely thinks of a card. I put on a tinfoil hat too keep the heat waves from frying my mind (through that in for a certain bizzaro chracter) I tell them to focus on there card while I use my amazing brain power to heat up the quarter in there hand to the point it is unbearable. My brain powers not only heated up the coin but also heated and blistered the metal up into the shape of their card.

Marry Marry quite contrary

A signed corner of a card appears in a coffin buried six feet below the ground. I kid, its a shallow grave so its only about three feet.

Seriously though a signed corner of a card vanishes and appears underground, this of course happens because you and the spectator recite the nursery rhyme "Marry Marry"

There are some I have others but I am a selfish person.

Alright, why not. As i'm sure some people might still remember, a while ago I made a joke about T11 hype and called it Socka Trova. It was an impromptu transpo of sorts, using a Sock. While it started out as a pretty funny joke, i'm pretty sure i've actually come up with a method. It's still very rough, still in progress, but this is the idea of how it works so far.

(The whole sock thing's obviously just a joke, you can use a bag, but as of right now, it should be a dark one.) You have a Sock & Rubber band on the table. The Sock can be borrowed. You display two different four of a kinds (Let's say Kings & Queens), then replace them on the deck. You show the kings, all four of them, as you place them into the sock. You hand the sock to a spectator and ask them to tie it off with the rubber band, and tell them to hold on to it, making sure that no one else touches it. You won't be touching the sock for the rest of this trick. You display the four Jacks and count them off. You make a magical gesture, and spread to show that one of the Jacks has turned face down. The Jack Of Clubs. Drop the cards on the table and say, that because the Jack Of Clubs turned face down here, that the King Of Clubs must have turned down inside the sock. You ask the spectator to remove the Kings from the sock, but not to spread them. Ask the spectator to turn them face up, then have them spread the cards. Sure enough, the King Of Clubs is face down, but when they turn the card over, it's the Jack Of Clubs instead. You ask someone else to turn over the face down card on the table, and it's the King Of Clubs. Completely examinable.

This is only phase one. Phase two involves a full packet transpo, i've just not worked out a method yet. If phase one works out, i'm thinking of writing a PDF for anyone who wants to see the method.

Oct 5, 2008
Almada, Portugal
I came up with a simple one:

• perdiction made
  • card selected, back to the pack, shuffled, show is not on top or bottom
  • the spectador checks the magicians prediction, and says if it's correct or worg (let's assume it's worg)
  • the cards are placed inside of the box or spectators/magicians pocket
  • a number is named by the spectador
  • the magicians takes many cards as the number indicates (1=one cards; 25=twenty five cards, etc)
  • at the number is the selection
  • the magicians asks the spectator to checks the worg prediction
  • the worg prediction turns right

is quite easy, uses basic moves but I'm still working on it

Joel

Sep 24, 2007
Aha. I've spent all my time reading these effects and most of them sound great. All I've got is a lottery prediction where, instead of physically chosen balls, the balls are chosen mentally. There is no secret writing, and the prediction is not switched.

That and several variations on the drawing duplication/open drawing prediction.

Some of my own gems:

1. RPS: After watching Derren Brown perform, I came up with an excellent method to accomplishing his Rock Paper Scissors stunt. In effect, I can accurately win, lose, or tie in RPS according to what the spectator wants to see. In one variation, I write something down on a business card and let the spectator keep it safe in their pocket. I ask him to name how many rounds he wants to play. Suppose he says five. We play five rounds of RPS, each round more impressive than the last. At the end, the spectator takes out and reads the prediction: it not only shows the outcome of the last round but also says who threw what. All this is done without any NLP nonsense, secret writing or stooges and it works 100% of the time.

2. Wannabe Berglas: My take on the ACAAN plot. A deck is thoroughly shuffled and placed aside. In certain variations, it may even be a borrowed deck. A spectator thinks of a playing card but never says it aloud. Another spectator thinks of a number between 1 and 52. He counts down to the chosen number to find a card reversed face-up in the deck-- the first spectator's mental selection! As a kicker, it turns out to be the only odd-backed card in the deck. If desired, the card may also have the first spectator's name scribbled across its back.

Of course, I created a few other methods and techniques to other effects, but these are two I'm definitely most proud of. I'm interested in releasing them sometime in the future, but not until I've really worked on and tested them thoroughly in professional and casual environments, alike. As of right now, these effects are only two years old, but they've done wonders for my reputation. Ha.

RS.

Jul 13, 2009
Lol That's a bit harsh :p

Romeo, the effects sound wicked, we must have another chat some time soon, I've some new bits you'll love too ;)

D.

I didn't mean it in a bad way I was just pointing out it out and was not directed to you but the originator of this thread.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
OK, I'll indulge.

-InTransit: My two-card transpo. It's actually quit nice and based on a trick I saw by Aaron Fisher called Helter Skelter. Basically, two cards are selected and signed if wished. One card is placed face up on the deck, the other outjogged face up. You wave your hand over the card on the deck and it vanishes. You can show your hands clean. You then wave your hand over the outjogged card and it changes into the card that just vanished. You then pull one card out of the other. No forces, gimmicks, or major angle problems.

-Shock: A sandwich effect using almost no sleight of hand. You have a card selected and buried fairly in the deck. The deck is openly spread through to reveal the two jokers face up sandwiching one card. You pull out the three cards to show the spectator, but the face down card disappears. Yes, the cards can be examined at this point. You then give the cards a little square and shake and their selection appears between them.

-Toast Change: I've come up with a lot of color changes but this is a gem. Imagine a sandwich effect where you come across the packet. You spread the cards slightly and place them outjogged in the deck. You wave your hand over the face down card and it turns over. The cards can be taken out by the spectator and examined. You end clean.

-Second Chance: My torn/restored that looks as visual as Torn or TnR and allows you to fuse the card at odd angles, and even where two pieces don't belong, or a red to a blue. No gimmicks per se, great angles and examinable.

That's about all the greats.

Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
Pasteboard Bunnies

Right then here are the best of mine from my booklet hope you enjoy...

Mysterious torn of events...

Tear off a corner of a selected card place it on your palm. Tap the selection on the piece, they instantly fuse. Every thing is examable, very open and visual.

Follow my prediction..

A prediction effect that has an application that allows you to predict an unnamed number that a spectator is merely thinking of that is written on a back of a playing card. It happens entirely in the spectators hands they deal the card that has the prediction on the back freely. It is 100% automatic and its very quick to reset. There is no force of any number and no outs.

Don’t Blink... (Not really a trick but a very open and visual coin switch)

Holding a 2p coin shake it in your hand it instantly changes to a 10p coin I have circualated this around T11 those who have know how visual it is.

Snap those coins… (another very open and visual coin switch)

Fits in with the don’t blink switch, a coin is placed very openly your left palm a snap of the right fingers it instantly changes to another denomonation.

There will be a full review of my ideas in a few days hopefully.

Matt

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results