Improving The World: Belgium

Improving The World: Austria
Improving the World... One Interaction At A Time.
A Performers Guide to Cultural Interactions
By William Draven

As an actor at a major motion picture studio, and theme park in Hollywood, as well as a magician I frequently get the opportunity to entertain for from all over the world. A year ago or so a document was released within our entertainment department that outlined different countries, and some good information you can use to create meaningful, lasting encounters with their people.

I immediately saw the advantage of this information for the magician community because what are we if not entertainers? We can use just about any tool at our disposal to help create that one magic moment with our audience that can make it even that much more memorable. So I got permission to share the information with you. Of course this project will take some time to post up, so I'll be updating this based upon two factors. The first being how well received, and appreciated it is from you the community, and the second how relevant the community feels this information is as applied to their lives. That is to say if not encouraged, I won't keep it up. Otherwise, I'll post new threads titled: "Improving The World: {country name}" that that specific file relates to.

Without any further delay, I bring you our next country: Belgium

Improve the World: Belgium

Continental Location: Northwestern Europe
What They Call Themselves: Belgians
Primary Language: Belgian Dutch also known as Flemish (northern Belgium)
Secondary Language: French (southern Belgium)
Prominent Cities: Brussels [capital], Bruges, Antwerp
Well Known Historical Site: Waterloo (where Wellington defeated Napoleon); NATO headquarters [Brussels]
Currency: The Euro

Starter Phrases in Flemish:
Hello: Goeiendag/Hallo (GO-een-tag)
Yes: Ja (Yah)
No: Nee (nay)
Please: Alstublieft (OL-stoob-leeft)
Thank you: Dank U (TONK-oo)
You’re Welcome: Zonder Dank (SSON-der tonk)
Good bye: Vaarwel! (similar to farwell)

Cultural Notes:
Prominent People/ Celebrities: King Albert II; Jean-Claude van Damme (actor, “The muscles from Brussels”); Kim Clijsters (Masters tennis champion); Justine Henin (Olympic tennis champion); Tony Parker (basketball player, San Antonio Spurs; married to actressEva Longoria).
-Although they are all considered Belgians, the country is split into two groups. In the North, the Flemish community speaks Dutch (also known as Flemish). To the South, the Walloons speak French. A large economic divide between the wealthy north (the Flemish) and the poorer south (the Walloons), has caused internal rumblings of secession.
-Universal’s Oscar nominated, Golden Globe winning film, “In Bruges” starring Colin Farrell (Golden Globe winner as Best Actor in a Comedy) & Ralph Fiennes filmed in Bruges!
-Belgians are known for lace making.
-The country is bordered primarily by France (South), the Netherlands (North) and Germany (East).
-Belgian waffles are actually from Belgium and they are called waffles! French Fries are actually of Belgian origin. The term “French” refers to how the potato is sliced.
-Godiva is a famous Belgian chocolatier.
-The popular beer Stella Artois is Belgian.
-The Smurfs by Peyo first appeared in comic strips in Belgium in 1958.
-The Adventures of Tintin were written by Belgian author Herge. The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn is a 3D animated film to be directed by Steven Spielberg, starring Jamie Bell & Daniel Craig (Amblin/Paramount; release date December 2011).
-The Euro currency sign (€) was designed by the Belgian Alain Billiet.

What To Avoid:
The large economic divide between the Flemish and the Walloons.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results