Is this trick original?

Aug 24, 2017
I have an idea for a trick that I am almost sure has not been done before. It basically goes like this.

Earlier in the performance, a spectator selects a card and signs it, the card then vanishes from the deck.

Later in the performance, perhaps as a closer, multiple people write down an alcoholic beverage, and one is selected (you'll see why it is alcohol in a second). I then take out a milk carton or some teapot and pour out the beverage that has been selected into a glass, and I have a spectator drink the liquid to make sure that it is actually the drink that was chosen.

Then, I pour the drink from the drinking glass onto a piece of paper that has been on a table or some other sturdy location for the whole performance, and I light it on fire (the paper could be flash paper, but I don't know if it needs to be yet).

As the paper burns, the signed card appears to be under the burning paper, and on the signed card, a burn is left on the card. The only parts of the card that are burned actually spell out the beverage.

That is the trick. I am almost certain this trick hasn't been done before, so if someone could tell me if it is original, it would be much appreciated.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
See: Any Drink Named, and the Obliging Teapot.

The reveal at the end is a prediction. People have been revealing predictions in various ways (fire or not) for a very long time.

Basically, your method may be original, but you're taking two existing things and slapping them together.

BTW - Using alcohol that you can drink as the fuel may not work out as you plan. For alcohol to burn it has to be fairly high proof (Over 80 I believe). Also, because alcohol doesn't burn with a bright, distinct flame (like, say, lamp oil), it's easy for it to end up in places you aren't expecting it to be. You'd be much better off if you pretended to pour the alcohol on it and but actually poured it somewhere else and used a safer method. Also many venues will not allow open flames like that. Just things to keep in mind.

Reactions: DavidL11229

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
As @ChristoperT said, this is a combination of a variety of existing effects. My issue is that is seems to me that the combination actually weakens the effects. A spectator should be able to explain what they saw in a sentence. Confusion is not magic.

Further, there is no consistent explanation as to why the magic happens. Why are you able to pour the drink named? Why does the card reappear under the paper? Why is the prediction appearing on the card?

Also, the "Any Drink Called For" routines really only work well if you can pour multiple drinks out of the same container. Otherwise it just looks like you picked the one drink you had in the carton / teapot / etc.

Reactions: DavidL11229
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results