It's Our Fault Criss Angel Is Famous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
For magic to get current again, i think we as magicians have to get real. Just ditch the cheesy magic persona and get real to connect with people again.

As an example when the magicians walked on stage on letterman, they were not there but their rehearsed fake magic persona was there and how are you going to connect with something thats not real?

Just watch some old sitcoms and tv series, everything is fake and far from todays reality and then watch some new series and you will see that it is much closer to our reality where we easily can connect with the characters.

Same thing happened to music and i think it need to happend to magic aswell.

In a article in Rolling Stone about the 100 greatest singers of our time Bono wrote this about Bob Dylan :

"He changed popular singing. And we have been living in a world shaped by Dylan's singing ever since. Almost no one sings like Elvis Presley anymore. Hundreds try to sing like Dylan. When Sam Cooke played Dylan for the young Bobby Womack, Womack said he didn't understand it. Cooke explained that from now on, it's not going to be about how pretty the voice is. It's going to be about believing that the voice is telling the truth"

I think magic needs less fake and flash and more reality and substance. A good magician in the future is not going to be about how fast your fingers are or how skilled your with a deck of cards, but how well you can connect with your audience.

Apr 27, 2010
baller08.blogspot.com
I think magic needs less fake and flash and more reality and substance. A good magician in the future is not going to be about how fast your fingers are or how skilled your with a deck of cards, but how well you can connect with your audience.

Exactly. And coin magic...no matter how "timeless" it may be to magicians is outdated to the general public and frankly....no one cares.

Relax...this isn't another Criss Angel debate. I promise.

But I would like to pose a serious question: Why do so few magicians positively make it to the mainstream consciousness?

If you look at any genera of entertainment, be it music, sports, or movies, there are always "new blood" that takes over for the old without much time lapse.

In the NBA, while arguably no one has been able to replace Michael Jordan, there are plenty of talented and entertaining athletes making a run at his legacy. In music, there is always new, fresh blood. In movies there are always new upcoming male and female stars; while not everyone lasts, there is always a handful from each generation that legitimately makes a lasting career.

Why isn't it the same for the magic industry? Name one person today that is even close to the same success in both quality and pop culture as David Copperfield? Before him, Houdini would be the only person that everyone still recognizes today. That is a very long drought. (No disrespect to famous but lesser known stars such as Lance Burton, Penn and Teller, etc)

I'm sure this isn't a popular opinion, but during "Close Up Magic Week" in the David Letterman show, I didn't feel that the magicians that performed represented us in a way that would leave a long lasting, jaw dropping impression on the audience. They're all good magicians, but for me, it felt on the same par as the zoo keepers that bring out certain animals commonly found during nightly talk shows. It didn't carry the same respect and "coolness" that a musician or movie star carries when they show up.

I love the art of magic and it is heart breaking to me that for a profession as old as ours, we are still kept as a side show. A big part of why Criss Angel is so famous, is that he has no other competition today. That's our fault.

I don't claim to know the answer, other than that most people that get into magic are socially awkward and don't know how to relate to people without their tricks. I can see that changing, but it's not changing fast enough. However, I know that can't be the only answer.

I think that's why when I see so many magicians knock those who have "made it" and just start spitting hate, it makes zero sense to me. We should all be supporting and learning from the VERY FEW who actually make it into the social consciousness rather than tear them down. We all have forgotten how David Copperfield was slammed when he was up and coming because he was accused of being "all flash and no substance". It's the same sick cycle.

So ask yourself.....for all the great magicians that have come and gone....why only so, so few have actually found a place in the minds and hearts of the group that we supposedly catering to; the general public?

And more importantly.....what do the select few that have made it have in common, despite their different technical abilities?
I love Criss, but for those who dislike him or thinks he isn't what magic should be, why not someone step up to the plate??? I've heard plenty of magicians, both known and lesser known, talk down on Criss. If you feel you have what it takes to take his "so called throne", do something about it. Bring something new to the table.

I think some magicians these days are cowards. Inwardly and in their so called inner circles, there's words like "Criss Angel sucks". Outwardly and publicly, he's a radioactive name that no one wishes to talk about. No one says outwardly says, "Criss Angel magic isn't good", they beat around the bush about it. They compliment every other magician and intentionally leave Criss out of the topic. For people who claim to show so much conviction via their magic, on the flipside, they are as two-faced as gaffed card. Much pun intended.

If you have something to say, say it. If not, leave Criss alone. That not only goes for Criss Angel but for every magician.

Apr 27, 2010
baller08.blogspot.com
As an example when the magicians walked on stage on letterman, they were not there but their rehearsed fake magic persona was there and how are you going to connect with something thats not real?

This is a great point. I think those guys' personalities didn't reasonate with the audience.

I think each of us has to take a look at our own personalities and how we come across as entertainers to others. My acid test has always been, if you walked into a social gathering and you couldn't do magic, would you still be involved with the positive flow of the party? Even if you wouldn't be the center of attention, could you at least still entertain with your words and with other areas of interest about your life?

If you can't, then I think you have to get outside of magic and find other interests. Having other interests makes you a better magician because now you can use magic to convey topics that reasonate with the common man. But if all you have is magic, then I don't think you're very relatable...if that's even a word.

Apr 27, 2010
baller08.blogspot.com
Hey Cedric! What's up buddy?

I agree with what you said about the two faced. But we're trying not to do the old CA debate. I think what you said about "stepping up and showing us something new" is the heart of this thread.

For as old as our profession is, to the general audience there isn't anything new and hip....except for a select handful and it takes 15+ years before someone new comes along, whereas other areas of entertainment constantly infuses it's art with new blood every 2-3 years.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
thats what i was hoping you guys would say.

whew. i couldnt tell if you were talking about methods or persona. and if i couldnt i wasnt going to assume anybody else could.

coins are always going to be around. we may need to move past using half dollars and whole dollars. but at the same time. we're always going to have coins.

so its the persona of the magician you guys want to change? you want a more modern open real magician. one who seems like a legit person to the audience and not some cheesy cookie cutter magician popped from a mold?

-wayne houchin

-jay noblezada

-eric jones

there are tons of magicians who are well known in our world. but havent quite made it out into the publics eye. (those are the only ones i could think of at the moment)

think about baseball. or music. theres always a few prospects that the industry raves about. who the public doesnt have a clue even exist yet. think about the minor leagues of baseball. magic is going somewhere guys. dont lose hope

EDIT: close up magic is never going to be good on tv. we may get a new generation of stage magicians soon. but close up is not a good thing for the tv screen. think of all the times carney flashed on t.v. i promise you that wouldnt have happened if i were sitting next to him.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Not everybody who works as an entertainer wants to become super famous. The reason guys like Copperfield, Blaine, Angel and etc got big was because they have resources to do so. They have consultants, PR guys, etc etc. Most current magicians out there don't have the budget to afford all that stuff.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
I think that a magician is as good as the public thinks the magician is. And from what i understand people think Criss Angel is quit good.

We have to stop think about what other magicians think about is, no one in the real world cares about that.

I think the main problem people are having with Criss is that he is not what the books and the old masters are saying that magic should be. Criss is different and made a big sucess because of that.

Criss probably cant do a perfect bottom deal or a perfect pass, but then again. How many escapes or stage illusions do we have perfected?

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
I think that a magician is as good as the public thinks the magician is. And from what i understand people think Criss Angel is quit good.

We have to stop think about what other magicians think about is, no one in the real world cares about that.

I think the main problem people are having with Criss is that he is not what the books and the old masters are saying that magic should be. Criss is different and made a big sucess because of that.

Criss probably cant do a perfect bottom deal or a perfect pass, but then again. How many escapes or stage illusions do we have perfected?

what old masters are you talking about? what books say criss isnt a good magician?

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Not everybody who works as an entertainer wants to become super famous. The reason guys like Copperfield, Blaine, Angel and etc got big was because they have resources to do so. They have consultants, PR guys, etc etc. Most current magicians out there don't have the budget to afford all that stuff.

Do you think they had that from the beginning?

Most musiciand, movie makers or whatever starts of with almost no money or budget but they work their way up.

I read a book about the rolling stones a while ago which now is the biggest touring act in the history and a band who has sold over 200 million records and puts on the most expensive shows there is, they had to steal stuff to get enough money to buy new guitar strings when they broke and they did work their way from there.

So its not like guys like Copperfield, Blaine or Criss have not worked their asses off.

Apr 27, 2010
baller08.blogspot.com

I have to disagree with you Randy. I think it is those "excuses" that keeps us down...that's what gets me about our culture.

Those guys have resources AFTER they proven they have what it takes...not before. All 3 of those guys you mentioned grew up with very little money, no more than you or I. They only got their teams when they proven they were different than everyone else...not before.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
He spends the majority of his career escaping from death. Either from a car about to be crushed/sunk or whatever. The majority of his work is compromised primarily of him doing stunts and very little "magic" every now and then.

Houdini did the exact same thing in his time. He would escape from stuff and add in a tiny bit of magic. But like Vernon said numerous times. "He's not a magician, he made his career out of escaping things."

Apr 27, 2010
baller08.blogspot.com
He spends the majority of his career escaping from death. Either from a car about to be crushed/sunk or whatever. The majority of his work is compromised primarily of him doing stunts and very little "magic" every now and then.

Houdini did the exact same thing in his time. He would escape from stuff and add in a tiny bit of magic. But like Vernon said numerous times. "He's not a magician, he made his career out of escaping things."

That's right...but the world knows Houdini and they don't know Vernon. The difference is Houdini knew how to appeal to the general public of his time.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I have to disagree with you Randy. I think it is those "excuses" that keeps us down...that's what gets me about our culture.

Those guys have resources AFTER they proven they have what it takes...not before. All 3 of those guys you mentioned grew up with very little money, no more than you or I. They only got their teams when they proven they were different than everyone else...not before.

Blaine got noticed when he did Strange travelers for a TV producer.
Angel was "noticed" before he was on TV for his broadway show.
Copperfield was on TV since around somewhere in the late 1970's and most likely before that he made his money doing stage magic.

I could go on, but the main reason those guys are famous is because of who they know. That's how the entertainment business works, and that's how it will always work.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Well, i think hes a magician, or i dont think he is, he is.

He does a lot of magic and a lot of his stuts has a magic twist.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Copperfield was on TV since around somewhere in the late 1970's and most likely before that he made his money doing stage magic.

I could go on, but the main reason those guys are famous is because of who they know. That's how the entertainment business works, and that's how it will always work.

WHAT?! are you talking about?!

Please, please, PLEASE go and read some books on some of the most famous musicians, writers and actors and then go tell them that they only are famous because of who they know.

Thats a HUUUUUUGE insult right there to most artists because most of them work harder then you ever will imagine.

Ask a famous writer how many books the publishing company threw in the trash can before they got their first book published or any famous band how many demons they sent in before they got a deal.

Apr 27, 2010
baller08.blogspot.com

OK...so it seems we're both on the same page. When Angel had his off broadway show..someone saw something in him. When Blaine showed a producer, he saw something in him that's different than the rest.

Did you know that David Copperfield's father had to give him money to pay the electric bill for his studio apartment when he first got to New York? He picked the music, recorded his own illusions, and shopped his stuff all around town....being denied one after another.

You see guys....people who have made it have things that we apparently refuse to acknowledge. We wave our hands and dismiss it with, "Ahh he's just lucky" or "Pfft...they have a good marketing team" but guys...that is so unbelievably silly and childish to say those things. It's so much more than that. It's charisma, it's charm, it's personality, it's hard work...it's timing....and like Houdini, a good sense about what the public wants and needs at any given time.

We don't have that today in our magic culture. Just a quick look at some of these threads and the attitudes on this board alone explains why so few of us make it to the public eye.

Forget the big names for a second.....ask yourself and answer it honestly: When you walk away from a group of people after doing a card or rubberband effect, what do you think they say about you? Do they say, "That was a good trick" and then go back to whatever it was they were talking about? Or do they say, "Damn that guy was really cool....and what an awesome trick." And then do they go and tell their friends about "this great guy they met"? Or was it just "some weird guy with a trick"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results