Jazz a 1-coin routine

Sep 9, 2010
Hello everybody. I have been trying to create a nice 1 coin routine. However, I just cant seem to decide on the built-up of it. Very fickle-minded. I have one in mind that starts like this:
1) Points to empty left palm - L Homme Production
2) Transfer coin to right hand - Thumb palm vanish, coin in right hand
3) Reproduce coin out of left elbow.
4) Hold coin with right index finger and thumb- Genome vanish by Ichiro Araki. Resembles the schizoid vanish.
5) Reproduce coin again at the same location.

What do you think of that?
Also, any suggestions of 1 coin routines?

Actually, what is it that I must be aware of when creating a 1 coin routine? Surprise elements?

Thank you for your time :)

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
Well, it seems fine so far, but it's really short. Basically a production and two vanishes, not much happening. Look at other famous-ish one coin routines, david stones, ponta the smiths, they are longer than that.

Also be sure not to just do vanish, reproduction, vanish, reproduction, ect. because that get's old fast. Do some sucker vanishes so it looks like it vanishes from both hands, or throw in some other ideas to break it up a bit so it doesn't get monotonous.

Good luck!

Aug 17, 2010
Check out David Roth's "flurry", a one coin routine.

Maybe learn an acquitment, a way to (apparently) show both hands empty. Eric Jones teaches one on one DVD or the other, and Michael Ammar does one as well.

Sep 9, 2010
Oh I see, acquitment. Does anyone here know how can I get to learn this apart from Eric jones and Michael Ammar mentioned above?

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
My advice is to get a camera, point it at you, press "record", and start making it up as you go. Shoot 5 minutes straight of just you and 1 coin. As you go, work on different ways to make your first production, then just see what flows from there.

After you are done, wait one day and watch the video. You will see things that look good as part of a routine, and things that just don't flow well together. After you find some pieces that you like, put them together into 2 or 3 different small routines and film them all. Watch the tape again, and you will start to see which ones look the best etc...

For me, I started with Ponta the Smith's 1 coin routine. I worked on it constantly, and can do his routine pretty smoothly. But, it just doesn't fully fit my style, so I put in other things, took out some things, etc... and I have my own routine now. It is a process that takes time, and you never know when you might change it again.

one coin routine recommendations:
Jamy Ian Swiss: AMAZING routine with great patter and outstanding use of simple subtleties.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsm6o20SLps

Ponta the Smith: Very fast and "in your face" visual greatness! Most likely the smoothest coin handler around today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp2ao97oxDQ

Unknown guy: I like this routine, just not his performance. It is a bit too stiff/ mannequin-ish, for my liking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ct17qIo2-k&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 8, 2007
3) Reproduce coin out of left elbow.
Maybe it's just me, but I hate it when magicians produce coins from their elbows, knees, and ears. It doesn't make sense. No intelligent audience thinks you are actually pulling coins out of your elbows. It's intellectually insulting and silly. Why would a coin be in your elbow? Also, how does a coin sit in your elbow? Laymen can't even wrap their heads around what that's supposed to look like.

I think it makes it overtly obvious, as well, that the method to achieve the effect is sleight of hand. No one thinks the coin was actually there before you pulled it out. Everyone knows all you're doing is putting it there and then pretending to take it out. It's just poorly constructed, hokey magic in my opinion.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Maybe it's just me, but I hate it when magicians produce coins from their elbows, knees, and ears. It doesn't make sense. No intelligent audience thinks you are actually pulling coins out of your elbows. It's intellectually insulting and silly. Why would a coin be in your elbow? Also, how does a coin sit in your elbow? Laymen can't even wrap their heads around what that's supposed to look like.

I think it makes it overtly obvious, as well, that the method to achieve the effect is sleight of hand. No one thinks the coin was actually there before you pulled it out. Everyone knows all you're doing is putting it there and then pretending to take it out. It's just poorly constructed, hokey magic in my opinion.

This is ridiculous. So great coin magicians, in your opinion, have been performing "intellectually insulting and silly" ideas since before you were born? If you do not realize how something as simple as, "I put the coin into this elbow here, and voilla! It comes out this elbow here!" can be powerful, it is not because the idea is silly/stupid/ what have you, it is because you can't perform it well enough.

By your reasoning, ideas like the principles in Hanging Coins, or Coin through Hand, and Coin through Table, are "intellectually insulting and silly." No one thinks the coin is actually put into the air invisibly to hang. True however, if you are terrible at the technique and performance, the spectators will think it is "poorly constructed, hokey magic", but they will not think that because the idea is wrong. They will think that because you suck.

Nov 8, 2007
This is ridiculous. So great coin magicians, in your opinion, have been performing "intellectually insulting and silly" ideas since before you were born? If you do not realize how something as simple as, "I put the coin into this elbow here, and voilla! It comes out this elbow here!" can be powerful, it is not because the idea is silly/stupid/ what have you, it is because you can't perform it well enough.

By your reasoning, ideas like the principles in Hanging Coins, or Coin through Hand, and Coin through Table, are "intellectually insulting and silly." No one thinks the coin is actually put into the air invisibly to hang. True however, if you are terrible at the technique and performance, the spectators will think it is "poorly constructed, hokey magic", but they will not think that because the idea is wrong. They will think that because you suck.
Your opening reply to my post was: "This is ridiculous."

...I'll leave it at that as to why I have no interest in taking the time to respond to your post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 4, 2007
Chesterfield, MI
Take a look at Rune Klan's 1 Coin routine

Rune Klan has an entertaining 1 coin routine in his Rune's World book.
I've been playing with the handling and its a lot of fun to work with.

It also incorporates a pen, but if that violates the "One Coin" routine rule, then you'd be missing out on a good piece of coin magic. Both the coin and pen have several vanishes and reappearances that are entertaining and offbeat.

Good trick!

Andy
Coin Magic Tricks Blog

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois

i just produce through my sleeve. its technically very similar. but adds a lot more meaning than from 'behind my elbow'

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results