Joshua Jay Pro Carrier :: Review

**A lot of Pictures are on linked text, click on them to see a picture of the description. i would have liked to have as many pictures visible on the thread as possible but there is a limit**

Joshua Jay Pro Carrier
Price: $20
procarrierqc3.jpg

Description on Joshua Jay's Website:
Simply put, this is the nicest pocket props case available to close-up workers. Used by many top names in magic, the Pro Carrier is also used by thousands of magicians worldwide. It is also Joshua's best-selling item, and for good reason: the Pro Carrier is a small case (it’s nearly indistinguishable from some of the leather cell phone and PDA holsters you see every day) that can fit into your pocket or be worn on your belt. It is made of high-quality black leather. It has a slot for a deck of cards, two slots for extra or gimmicked cards, a window for packet tricks, a window for business cards, and a coin purse with a zipper. When closed or worn on the belt, the business card window faces out. Use it to keep a mini-show’s worth of essentials handy for impromptu magic … to keep your “practice props” within reach of your DVDs or at chair-side … to contain your close-up basics in one place in your brief bag or carry-on while traveling … or as an integral part of your load set-up for performances. Priced unbelievably low for its quality, the Pro Carrier is an amazing value.
Review

I have had this product for a while now and find it very useful. It has a lot of space to hold several props along with you, if your doing walk around, close up, or just going out with some friends and just want to bring your props without filling your pockets. so I'll start with a basic description.

The Pro Carrier is as long as a deck of cards and is as thick as about 2 decks of cards stacked together. It has 2 belt loops on the back of the Carrier so that you can pass your belt through them and carry it at your waist. As the advertisement said, its about the same as carrying a cell phone there. the loops allow you to slide the carrier towards your back and out of the way if you need, and when you need to take out or put back a prop you can simply slide the carrier back to a position that is comfortable to you.

It has several compartments to keep your props, as can be seen HERE. It has one compartment toward the front of the carrier where you can put small tools like a gaff for Paperclipped or some cards for a packet trick. The Second compartment is a Zippered bag to hold your regular and gaff coins. The third compartment is the same as the first.

As you can see in other images the final compartment is a holder for a single deck of cards. This compartment easily fits a deck of cards inside of a Joe Porper Card Clip (other shot). The small window on the inside part of the flap can fit up to 6 poker sized playing cards with out snagging or being too tight of a fit and making it difficult to remove them(other shot).

All my props in the Carrier
dsc02735iz7.jpg

(Sharpie, half dollars, shell, Chinese coin, F. Quarter, rubber bands, deck or cards, prop for Paperclipped, extra clips, gaffs, bills for twisted)

The configuration I have inside of my Carrier is as follows:

I've taken my coins and split them in groups of 3, putting each group in a small binder clip which has been covered in electrical tape to keep the coins from talking when they get removed from the clip. I place these in the zippered bag. I take the smaller items in the plastic containers and slide them on one side of the zippered bag. I take the extra paper clips and link them on a single clip, I then take that clip and place it on the side of the carrier (other shot) to have them available and it keeps me from digging around trying to find them. The rubber bands i put around the flap of the carrier in groups of 2 or 3 (inside shot). I usually slip the Sharpie on the flap of the carrier (inside shot), so when the flap is closed the carrier would look like this ( other side, back)

Overall i love this carrier, its very handy for carrying all your props instead of having them take up space in your pockets. At $20 USD i find it very reasonable. I would have to give this a 10/10

I would like for this carrier to have a Belt Clip as well as Belt Loops, there for making it a lot easier to put on and remove the Carrier from your waist, but its not a big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Canada Eh?
Very nice! This is excactly what I need and what I'm looking for. Awesome review! I might need to get a Porper as well to that if it holds a deck with that on it. This is the time to buy! The US/CAN exchange rate is lookin good so far! By the way, where can you get those plastic cases? To be more specific the plastic case with the bill in it.

I liked the review for the most part. Just wish that people would be more realistic instead of giving everything 9/10, 10/10, etc. That's just a bit annoying to me personally, as nothing is perfect and there is always room to improve. If not, then no new magic tricks would be able to improve.

Scotch and soda wouldn't evolve to Digital dissolve, The original moving pips (5x5 Japan) wouldn't become distortion, and there would never be any improvement for anything.

But overall, nice review. I'm currently looking into this or Jay Sankey's Assassin's Pouch. I'm leaning towards Sankey's, just due to the fact it's larger and better designed for the working pro. While this is nice, I need something that can fit more than a deck in it, or else I'd be running back to my bag every 20 minutes. LOL!

Nice review, and good luck.
Steve

Steve, what's with you and making good points :p

I agree with Steve (I find myself saying this once a day, at least :p), although I myself would probably lean towards this Pro Carrier. The difference being that this is meant for more of the hobbyist/street performer who likes to carry his magic stuffs around so he'll always be ready to perform for friends, family, strangers, whatever. I do believe that the Sankey pouch is more geared towards working pros, as it's bigger and better designed for the professional magician.

But overall, nice review. I'm currently looking into this or Jay Sankey's Assassin's Pouch. I'm leaning towards Sankey's, just due to the fact it's larger and better designed for the working pro. While this is nice, I need something that can fit more than a deck in it, or else I'd be running back to my bag every 20 minutes. LOL!

Nice review, and good luck.
Steve

i thought about the Assassin's Pouch, but i never liked the look of it. it looked alot bulkier to me then the Pro Carrier and the material its made of doesn't really say Professional to me. besides i would think that a pro would be working mainly from their pockets and use the carrier as a means to carry extras. but we are all entitled to our own opinion.

i would consider the Carrier as just that, a carrier for transporting your props .. and not necessarily working straight out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind that these are made to be worn under a jacket (well...atleast I would with the Assassins Pouch). Maybe I'm underestimating the size of the pro carrier?? I'll have to look into it a bit more. For $20, it wouldn;t be the worse thing if I bought it and didn't like it. :D

Thanks again for the review!
Steve

P.S. It's okay to agree with me, I have no problem with it. :D

well i thought of taking some pictures of me wearing the Carrier both in view and under a shirt or Jacket (all i have is a leather jacket not a dress coat) .... maybe i'll give it a shot tomorrow so ppl can get an idea of what it looks like on your person.

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
I have this and love it, though I really wish that it had a belt clip rather than a belt loop. Anyway, I don't use it to hold a deck of cards. I actually use it to hold gaffs and packet tricks. I have a double backer, Strange Travelers, Color Monte, and Ultimate 3 Card Monte in my Pro Carrier right now in the card slot and the space that was made for a deck.

Sep 1, 2007
I have a Pro Carrier too, and I like it very much. I wished the flap has a magnet instead of the vecro. It doesn't look that good. It looks cheap. (Yeah it's cheap but there's no need to tell everone about that)

thats a good idea ... i wonder if it would be possible to email Joshua Jay and give him the little changes that would (in our opinion) make his great product even better.

belt clip with (or instead of) belt loops
magnet instead of velcro

Sep 1, 2007
Yeah, let's wait for everyone's opinion and than we can email him.
I like the carrier, I hope it will get better.

Nice review.

Hi,

That was an excellent review.

I have both the Pro Carrier and the Assassin's Pouch. They each have advantages over the other.

I would agree that the pro carrier looks more professional than the pouch because it is made of leather whereas the pouch is made of nylon canvas which looks like the material that backpacks are made of.

They both hold two decks of cards but the flap of the pro carrier doesn't seem to wrap over both decks and stick securely to the Velcro. The Sankey pouch will fit two decks and zip up quite nicely.

The pro carrier has wallet type windows on each side of the flap which is nice for holding spare/gaff cards or packet effects. The assassin pouch has a side pocket/slit to hold a sharpie the other side has a multi-functional pocket that can hold a thread real or a thumb tip (but not both). Because of the side pockets I would say that the pouch is more versatile than the pro carrier.

I use each of them equally. For me it depends on what I'm wearing and what I want to carry with me on that particular day.

Sep 2, 2007
I own both, and they each have their advantages. I like they carrier a little more because of the fact that it is leather and a little smaller than the pouch. I like the pouch because it can hold two decks easily and has that nice thumb tip holder. Wish the carrier has the belt clip as well, also the magnet instead of the velcro woulda been nice. Heck, if anything I'll tyr to make some magnet thingy there...and probably screw up my carrier in the process, but what the hey

Sep 1, 2007
I tried the magnet flap (thanks to my all sized neo's) but the velcro is sawn to the clear pocket. So if I get it out, there will be holes on it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results