Learning Parasol Magic in 2 months?

Nov 27, 2010
Hey guys,

So I am perfroming in front of my high school, and I am going to do card manipulation and apearing/vanishing canes mixed with other things like snowstorm and mouth coils. However I think it would be awesome to add some parasol magic to my routine. I have only 2 months to prepare, but I was wondering if I practice 2 hrs a day for 3-4 days a week untill then, do you guys think I can pull off a 4 parasol appearence at the very least???

Jul 22, 2013
Hey there BlueSpade1000. You can do anything you put your mind to. It doesnt matter about how much you practice it matters about what your practice consists of. If you say you practice two hours but wind up only practicing about 45 minutes and getting sidetracked then maybe not. It all depends on how you practice bro! Keep it up though! Live your dreams! You can do what you put your mind to

Sincerely,
Dylan

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Hey there BlueSpade1000. You can do anything you put your mind to. It doesnt matter about how much you practice it matters about what your practice consists of. If you say you practice two hours but wind up only practicing about 45 minutes and getting sidetracked then maybe not. It all depends on how you practice bro! Keep it up though! Live your dreams! You can do what you put your mind to

Sincerely,
Dylan

I'm sorry - I know this goes against all the current trends of positive thinking and all that jazz - but this is blatantly incorrect. There's quite a bit you can't do no matter how hard you "put your mind to it".

Now, to address the original post.

Do you have the rest of your routine completely down and ready to go? If necessary, could you do it the exact same three times in a row? Do you still enjoy listening to the music it is set to?

Do you have everything you need to do a parasol production right now? By that I mean the holders, the parasols, a costume that suits it?

Do you know exactly where, in the routine, you want to use parasols?

How long is your routine supposed to be?

I know this is a lot of questions, but if you don't have the answers to these questions then the answer is definitely "no, you don't have enough time"

Jul 22, 2013
Yes i do agree there Chirstopher. I may have had some just think positive notes but am i right on how hard and concentrated you are when you practice?

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Ask yourself if Parasol Magic really fits the routine that you've been working so hard on already. Sometimes you may think you need more, when you're just convoluting the routine in the end. If you don't really need parasol magic in your act to make it better, I wouldn't waste time trying to throw something in there for the sake of it. Any time you want to add something to your routine it should be for a meaningful reason; something that would add on to the effectiveness of the performance without confusing your audience by throwing a bunch of random tricks at them. The practice time you say you have can be spent practicing on your current routine, because there is always room for improvement somewhere. Keep it simple as well. Adding something quote-un-quote "last-minute" is not technically a good idea for a big time performance in front of your peers. Impress them with what you have already, because it will definitely be enough. :)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Yes i do agree there Chirstopher. I may have had some just think positive notes but am i right on how hard and concentrated you are when you practice?

You need to practice 'effectively'. 'Hard' doesn't really necessarily do it.

Practice only helps if you are doing it right and most people do not do it right. You'll get the most out of your practice if you don't keep pushing it once you make significant progress. So, when I practice, I move slowly, I make sure I am doing exactly what needs to be done, then I slow increase speed. Then when I have had any "aha" moments, I do it a few more times to cement that down and then I switch it up. Grinding the same move over and over will be counter-productive.

So, for parasols, you might practice producing one way until you get a break through or at least steady results. Then you switch it up and produce from a different place, practice until consistent, etc. Don't keep doing the same thing over and over.

Jul 22, 2013
California
You need to practice 'effectively'. 'Hard' doesn't really necessarily do it.
the same move over and over will be counter-productive.

So, for parasols, you might practice producing one way until you get a break through or at least steady results. Then you switch it up and produce from a different place, practice until consistent, etc. Don't keep doing the same thing over and over.
I believe my signature says it all :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results