Let's See Your Setup!

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
I'll try to summarize really quickly:

Back in the early 90s I purchased the Amateur Magician's Handbook by Henry Hay. Lesson one was one of the easiest things to do with a deck of cards. Lesson 2 was the classic pass. Although I had read the entire book and picked up what I could from it, the fact that I couldn't manage that second lesson did bad things to me. I also want to make note that this was before the Internet as we know it and back when I lived in orchard country. It was just my brother, the book, and me.

When I started getting involved with magic, the web sites, and now even IBM, that stigma was still with me. I told myself that I would learn the pass to finally shake those feelings, then move forward to other forms of magic. It is exactly what I did. I can't do a very good pass, and my handling is always a little shaky. I did, however, video tape some practice sessions where I got more than a handful of really nice ones done. I proved it to myself. That was what I wanted most.

So, that's what would compel a person to learn the pass then move away from cards.

Jun 10, 2010
I would have probably quit the pass also without the internet. The classic pass sounds ridiculous if you have never seen anyone do it at super-speed.

No, it doesn't. It does if you do not have the self-drive and motivation to be a good magician or to practice the move. Or if you're one of those people who starts out in magic and always hears people talking about how "ridiculous" it is to perform with someone burning your hands invisibly. I've been doing it for a few weeks (mainly unconsciously, but those practice hours made it a LOT faster), and I can already use it live sometimes if I can get eye contact for less then a second. That's all it takes. You just need dedication and a half-decent brain.

lol I agree with you, a small bit'a misdirection will make a pass very nice. I'm just saying that the pass is a crazy move if you here it in the move, especially cause your putting part of the deck almost vertical.

But yeah, misdirection, practice = flawless :)

LETS SEE SOME MORE SETUPS PEOPLE!!

Jun 10, 2010
lol I agree with you, a small bit'a misdirection will make a pass very nice. I'm just saying that the pass is a crazy move if you here it in the move, especially cause your putting part of the deck almost vertical.

But yeah, misdirection, practice = flawless :)

LETS SEE SOME MORE SETUPS PEOPLE!!

Why don't you post yours? You're the one that started this thread, and 5 pages in, nobody's posting anything new. It only seems fair that you post yours first then continue asking people to post a picture of their practice area.

Why don't you post yours? You're the one that started this thread, and 5 pages in, nobody's posting anything new. It only seems fair that you post yours first then continue asking people to post a picture of their practice area.

Sure

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=437351442076&set=o.7163962142&pid=5863397&id=726847076

Umm... A lot of it isn't my set up. If you go to photo #20 that's basically all I got. And the first couple of pictures is a recent book I bought. I am a card collector and a sleight of hand artist. The reason you don't see books and things there is because my teacher lends me lots of books like animated miracles, Jeff McBride Card Manipulation Trilogy, a lot of E stuff is on my hard-drive etc.

Jun 10, 2010
Sure

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=437351442076&set=o.7163962142&pid=5863397&id=726847076

Umm... A lot of it isn't my set up. If you go to photo #20 that's basically all I got. And the first couple of pictures is a recent book I bought. I am a card collector and a sleight of hand artist. The reason you don't see books and things there is because my teacher lends me lots of books like animated miracles, Jeff McBride Card Manipulation Trilogy, a lot of E stuff is on my hard-drive etc.

2 Arcane card clips.. Have you looked into the porper arcane? If not, I suggest you do so. And some books are worth paying for, not all secrets deserve to be earned free.

That Magic book in the first picture is HUGE ****, unless you put a pack of minis on as comparison. I'm about to look up the measurements on dan and dave's site, lol..

lol yeah its umm... like 2 ft long? a foot wide... 15-20 pounds. It's a clunker. It's got some REALLY awesome stuff in it though, $130 for it was very well worth it. It has a LOT of history in it and has lots of original poster pictures in it, very cool. It was printed in Italy, so very high printing quality! Oh, and I got one arcane clip for free, and when I got that master clip it was because it was when I was starting out. I thought that the porper just looked really lame and didn't realize that it actually did work, unlike my masters/arcane clip. I'm gonna borrow Strong Magic from my teacher in November then I'll buy it from amazon or something if I like it.

Jun 10, 2010
lol yeah its umm... like 2 ft long? a foot wide... 15-20 pounds. It's a clunker. It's got some REALLY awesome stuff in it though, $130 for it was very well worth it. It has a LOT of history in it and has lots of original poster pictures in it, very cool. It was printed in Italy, so very high printing quality! Oh, and I got one arcane clip for free, and when I got that master clip it was because it was when I was starting out. I thought that the porper just looked really lame and didn't realize that it actually did work, unlike my masters/arcane clip. I'm gonna borrow Strong Magic from my teacher in November then I'll buy it from amazon or something if I like it.

Go with DM first. I've heard Strong Magic is better pursuing after Designing Miracles unless you're a professional worker who does magic for a living, whereas Designing Miracles has information useful to all magicians alike.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results