Magic Shops in utah????

Jan 22, 2019
Is there any magic shops in utah that have high quality decks and stuff like slights and books and dvds on cardistry? I live in the layton kaysville area.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Hey, I live in Layton too! (and I'm from Kaysville) The answer is yes...ish

There's nothing like you would think. Nothing like the Disneyland Magic Shop, or Tannens. All of the local shops have gone online.

The magic community is pretty big in Utah though. There are 6 magic clubs from Logan to Orem in our area 3 of which are official national branches of the IBM(International Brotherhood of Magicians) and SAM(Society of American Magicians).

Back to your question...

Loftus is in the top 5 magic wholesale shops in the world and their headquarters is in Ogden. https://www.loftus.com/pages/magic

House of Chuckles had a storefront in Salt Lake for a few years. They are still around selling high-quality gimmicked decks online. https://www.houseofchuckles.com/

Finally, we have Magic4Less. This is a Murphy's distributor that sells magic locally and online. https://www.magic4less.com/

When the IBM has their annual swap meet you may see them setup up shop. Also at the Anual Salt Lake City Magic Jam they will make an appearance. Although it looks like that convention may not be returning to Salt Lake this year.

PM me if you want to talk about the local magic scene.

Reactions: brandonendrizzi
Oct 19, 2015
As a kid 1950's early 60's, I lived in a small town in the mountains of Colorado. I had a friend who's brother (in high school) was a pretty good magician. He did a few shows for the kids in Grade School, and did a few local gig's over the years. I was always trying to get his brother to let me look at his tricks, and he would not, no doubt under threat of his big brother.

Finally, I got him to 'sell' me for $5 bucks the 'secret' to putting a hat pin in a balloon. Although, I was disappointed in myself for not figuring that out on my own, I was hooked! I now know two ways to do it...and I am sure there are more...

Every Summer I was able to spend a couple of weeks with my Grandparents in Denver. My Grandfather worked downtown and I was able to go with him on the bus to work, where I went to 2-3 magic shops in the downtown area. In time the owners started working with me, showing me tricks and whenever I could scrape up a few bucks...sell me some tricks...great times they were and I was hooked for life.

Very few good (wall to wall) magic stores still exist and I fear they are slowly all converting to mail order via the internet. I miss being able to go in and see the tricks performed. and really seeing what quality they are....I only know of one real shop in the state I live in and it is 3 hours away. I do go there at times, but most of what I do is now on line. It works, but is not half as fun.....

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Correction, on my initial post. Loftus is located in Salt Lake. It's not really open to the general public though.

As a kid 1950's early 60's, I lived in a small town in the mountains of Colorado. I had a friend who's brother (in high school) was a pretty good magician. He did a few shows for the kids in Grade School, and did a few local gig's over the years. I was always trying to get his brother to let me look at his tricks, and he would not, no doubt under threat of his big brother.

Finally, I got him to 'sell' me for $5 bucks the 'secret' to putting a hat pin in a balloon. Although, I was disappointed in myself for not figuring that out on my own, I was hooked! I now know two ways to do it...and I am sure there are more...

Every Summer I was able to spend a couple of weeks with my Grandparents in Denver. My Grandfather worked downtown and I was able to go with him on the bus to work, where I went to 2-3 magic shops in the downtown area. In time the owners started working with me, showing me tricks and whenever I could scrape up a few bucks...sell me some tricks...great times they were and I was hooked for life.

Very few good (wall to wall) magic stores still exist and I fear they are slowly all converting to mail order via the internet. I miss being able to go in and see the tricks performed. and really seeing what quality they are....I only know of one real shop in the state I live in and it is 3 hours away. I do go there at times, but most of what I do is now on line. It works, but is not half as fun.....

I have been to one magic shop in Colorado although I know of a few great performers that hail from Colorado.

Also, in Utah I never mentioned Mystic Dining. It's not a magic shop but a dining experience that flies magicians in from all around the world to perform.

Jan 22, 2019
Its so sad that magic shops are disappearing because the one that i liked just went out of business in California at lake Tahoe The other one on the Nevada side also just went out of business i always loved to go on a vacation and then pick up a new deck that was worth my time but now i have to convince my parents to let me buy them online and you have to wait for shipping.
Then there is the customer help and it is way better talking to a person that wants to help you and fix your problems.

Oct 19, 2015
Its so sad that magic shops are disappearing because the one that i liked just went out of business in California at lake Tahoe The other one on the Nevada side also just went out of business i always loved to go on a vacation and then pick up a new deck that was worth my time but now i have to convince my parents to let me buy them online and you have to wait for shipping.
Then there is the customer help and it is way better talking to a person that wants to help you and fix your problems.

I agree, there is nothing like going in and seeing and touching the items you are considering to buy. Also, being able to talk to someone who can demonstrate the product and answer questions. I too miss this...but time moves forward!

I fear that younger generations will have no idea how to just talk with someone, and developing long-term friendships not to mention finding a 'sole mate' and eventual spouse...vs. using technology for everything....

Reactions: 21jthayne1
Jan 22, 2019
so true but there are people like me that are the younger generation and still like the feeling of talking to people instead of just buying it.

Oct 19, 2015
Many in the younger generations will never know, as the number of shops has dropped dramatically and is still dropping. They cannot compete with the internet! Therefore, many young will never know, what they do not know...

Jan 22, 2019
yea i was born in 02 and i know but the next magicians and cardists of the world will not know its so sad hey @Josh Burch Lets start one in layton then people can experience it and maby start it up again Just an idea

Aug 15, 2017
Hey, I live in Layton too! (and I'm from Kaysville) The answer is yes...ish

There's nothing like you would think. Nothing like the Disneyland Magic Shop, or Tannens. All of the local shops have gone online.

The magic community is pretty big in Utah though. There are 6 magic clubs from Logan to Orem in our area 3 of which are official national branches of the IBM(International Brotherhood of Magicians) and SAM(Society of American Magicians).

Back to your question...

Loftus is in the top 5 magic wholesale shops in the world and their headquarters is in Ogden. https://www.loftus.com/pages/magic

House of Chuckles had a storefront in Salt Lake for a few years. They are still around selling high-quality gimmicked decks online. https://www.houseofchuckles.com/

Finally, we have Magic4Less. This is a Murphy's distributor that sells magic locally and online. https://www.magic4less.com/

When the IBM has their annual swap meet you may see them setup up shop. Also at the Anual Salt Lake City Magic Jam they will make an appearance. Although it looks like that convention may not be returning to Salt Lake this year.

PM me if you want to talk about the local magic scene.
Thanks so much for this!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results