Mentalism Question

Mar 28, 2010
Maryland
Hey everyone, i've been doing card magic for about 2 years and I am wanting to branch off into some mentalism, but I don't want to pay 30 bucks if I'm not even sure I want to do it. Does anyone know of any free articles, websites, ebooks, etc. That would teach me just a few simple techniques?

-thanks

If you don't want to spend 30 dollars, mentalism is not for you. The best investment you can make as a mentalist starting out is to get the book, 13 Steps To Mentalism by Corinda. It provides invaluable instruction on 13 essential building blocks of mentalism, complete with routines you can actually USE. A free website is going to teach you just enough to get you laughed at when you try and perform. Go to www.dennymagic.com and get that book.

Edit: here, I'll make it even easier: http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?client=71713162&action=detail&item=002470 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It may be cheaper on Amazon, but Denny Haney is my personal mentor and has a WEALTH of magic knowledge that we as the younger generation could learn multitudes from. I fully endorse supporting Denny's shop in any way possible.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Don't get 13 Steps first, the book is great but it can and most likely be very overwhelming to most people. I would recommend getting Fundametals first for many reasons. It is apt more enjoyable to read, it makes sense reading it from page one and it is a lot more modern. Learning from Corinda is possible but it is like starting with Erdanse there is a good chance you will hate mentalism if you start with 13 steps.

Well not hate but not see it's real potential.

i've grown to know that mentalism isn't effect you perform as shown on the DVD, in order for it to even be interesting, you must make it something to fit you....some of the mentalism DVD's are boring as hell...what i do is learn the technique to use it for something that i already know and it will help you make it current.....

it just seems like those guys never shut up....

Sep 24, 2007
Hmm. A bit of advice if you REALLY don't want to spend that 30 dollars- since you've been in card magic for about 2 years, you should have enough knowledge to register for Marko's Learned Pig Project.
http://www.thelearnedpig.com.pa/home.html
If you considers you enough of a "magician," he'll grant you access to quite a bit of public domain material. He has Annemanns Practical Mental Effects in Ebook form, which is recommended as one of the great starting points in mentalism.

I don't reccommend this however, and go along with the previous advice. Another book I would recommend is Practical Mental Magic/Effects (mentioned above) which is a great resource and only costs around 7 dollars.

Jul 13, 2009
Hmm. A bit of advice if you REALLY don't want to spend that 30 dollars- since you've been in card magic for about 2 years, you should have enough knowledge to register for Marko's Learned Pig Project.
http://www.thelearnedpig.com.pa/home.html
If you considers you enough of a "magician," he'll grant you access to quite a bit of public domain material. He has Annemanns Practical Mental Effects in Ebook form, which is recommended as one of the great starting points in mentalism.

I don't reccommend this however, and go along with the previous advice. Another book I would recommend is Practical Mental Magic/Effects (mentioned above) which is a great resource and only costs around 7 dollars.

Darn it Chicken! Underground shizz there man. :p

No, but I agree with the above, on the learnedpig there is so much information about magic/mentalism both dated and modern. A gold mine where you barely have to dig. OHH and there is a microcosm of another gold mine called "The Jinx" magazine.
Best part is, it's free!

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Dee's material is great but for the question that the original poster asked it is not the best material.

I am sure that Dee would even recommend against starting out with his material. The biggest thing with mentalism is you have to learn to be the mentalist as opposed to learning the best effects. This is why people like Kreskin can kill an entire audience with a cross cut force. Or Derren can use a NW and predict a letter (1/26 chance) and still get better results than people predicting numbers in the thousands.

Jan 16, 2008
I like to keep that book fairly close to my chest.

You must be a true mentalist. Stop reading my thoughts. Please.
And you have successfully induced that feeling of guilt due to my not getting Fundamentals yet, despite it being only $25. I guess I'll need to get the Amateur Magician's Handbook after that? *sigh*

@manonthemoon - I hope you'll realize soon that being a mentalist has a hefty price tag attached to it. Pun intended.

Although im not familiar with Fundamentals i assume it's a strong book if D ICE R is recommending it.
I started out with some really hard stuff and i've got to say i've had to re-learn some of the stuff because i learned too advanced techniques.
Start simple, kill them simply and then start learning the hard stuff and completley demolishing them.(this isn't 100% true tho, simple things are known to cause so much damage that you will be asked back to the gig for years to come. Thats how powerful you can be if you do everything right!)

M.

Jul 13, 2009
@manonthemoon - I hope you'll realize soon that being a mentalist has a hefty price tag attached to it. Pun intended.

I hope you realize magic in general has a hefty price tag. Though I do agree most mentalism props cost 10 to the nth degree more then most decks of cards. Especially the props from Outlaw effects. *drools over the wallets*

Anyway I am going to completely contradict myself by saying, mentalism is the least expensive form of magic because you do not even need any props to perform the feats.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results