Need input on what to say

Feb 11, 2014
Hey guys. Quick question. What do you guys say to people who have seen you do a trick before and ask you to do it again but the trick involves a gimmick or set up that you dont have. I find trouble coming up with what to say and dont want it to be obvious that i CANT perform the trick right there and then.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Option 1: "That's really cool that you remember that one. It's one of my favorites. I can do that one for you another time, but there is this new trick that i've been working on and want to show you."

Option 2: "That one is pretty difficult to do and I'm not sure if I'm focused enough right now. Catch me tomorrow morning after I've gotten a good nights sleep."

Option 3: "Sure, but not right now. I'm just relaxing and not in the mood to perform magic."

antoferra

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2014
Italy
Option 4: "Yeah sure, but first let me show this one, it's much better!" You show another trick and at the end they hopefully have forgotten about the first one

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
"I have something else I can do I think you'll like as well."

Sometimes they will be more blown away by a new trick than they were with the first. After they see that you are capable of more than just the one trick they will wonder more about what else you can do.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Think of it this way: How would you character turn someone down?

I have avoided this by making sure that I can pretty much always perform all of my material at all times - but for those few things that do require a set up I use pretty much the same approach as the previous guys.

I also have the advantage of being an esoteric performer so it's completely legit to say, "The energies are right at the moment.", "That's something I have to prepare for." Or something like that. I am also a fan of basically saying, "Oh you liked that one? Here, watch" and then just doing whatever I feel like doing. Usually what they're really asking is to see you perform something in general - they usually won't mind if you don't do the exact trick they mean.

This is also a good reason to learn multiple methods for the same effect. Note: Effect, not method or trick. I have several different ways I can do PK touches - everything from gimmicked to impromptu and everyone that sees me do it gives pretty much the same report on what I did. Same with when I used to do metal bending. Multiple methods, all engineered to look more or less the same, but some gimmicked, some impromptu.

Jan 3, 2015
Good question. I usually just say 'in a second, check this out instead.' - move onto 2nd effect.

Then hopefully they will be asking to see the 2nd effect again instead.

And so on, and so forth.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results