New name for all this!

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
well I agree that it sounds cheezy if you "XTREME this and XTREME that" but, what if in the patter, with the magic tricks, they say "ohhhh" when you do a fan or spread and ask more about it. you say "that's called card manipulation" and they say "i'd like to see some more"...

It's not the way it's being said, I was making a point about the simple use of it. It's an old marketing technique that, in my opinion, is simply overused, I think just plain "Card Manipulation" is fine.

then you say, well there's a type called extreme card manipulation... and start going 'Bananas' giant fan, double armspread, upside-down spring etc. i think they might appreciate the "extreme" modifier in that context?

I can't say for sure that it won't be met with similar thoughts that I described above, this is why I'm going to do the tests.

case in point - richard has used "cardistry" in speeches before and he said it was well recieved in that context, however, many forum members say they get laughed at when they use the word.

Like you said:

... if you don't like the term, it's definitely going to affect your ability to sell it.

-Vince

Sep 1, 2007
relevantly enough, last night we watched a show on food network called "Extreme Cakes":

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_cc/episode/0,2495,FOOD_20077_51673,00.html

it was pretty awesome, I mean, the cakes weren't defying DEATH exactly, but they were definitely the pinnacle of cake-making. the crowd was loving it but I think they weren't taking it too seriously - the cake that won "most extreme" was a giant sock-monkey with pyrotechnics, glowing eyes, and robotically articulating cake limbs. okay actually thats probably about as extreme as cakes get.

Sep 25, 2007
www.myspace.com
personally... i love the new name!

Flxisqueshcmdiseck flows off the tongue so much better than saying
Flourishing XCM Cardistry Decknique.

I dub thee Flxisqueshcmdiseck :p

Chay has spoken

Vinnie C.

Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
relevantly enough, last night we watched a show on food network called "Extreme Cakes":

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_cc/episode/0,2495,FOOD_20077_51673,00.html

it was pretty awesome, I mean, the cakes weren't defying DEATH exactly, but they were definitely the pinnacle of cake-making. the crowd was loving it but I think they weren't taking it too seriously - the cake that won "most extreme" was a giant sock-monkey with pyrotechnics, glowing eyes, and robotically articulating cake limbs. okay actually thats probably about as extreme as cakes get.

Then think about this,

Take a normal cake. Your average every-day cake. And compare it to the fire-breathing-robot-monkey cake, that is a huge and EXTREME difference. Now compare what is considered to be "card manipulation" with "extreme card manipulation", any significant differences?

-Vince

Sep 1, 2007
i guess that depends on your definition of card manipulation. but, I think you're right because clips of Fred Kaps could totally be called XCM and Jerry even said on FlashCards that Houdini used to do XCM. so there's probably no real difference between say, really good "card manipulation" and that with extreme. i guess that means the "extreme" is unnecessary!

Vinnie C.

Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
i guess that depends on your definition of card manipulation. but, I think you're right because clips of Fred Kaps could totally be called XCM and Jerry even said on FlashCards that Houdini used to do XCM. so there's probably no real difference between say, really good "card manipulation" and that with extreme. i guess that means the "extreme" is unnecessary!

And that is my opinion. But remember, it is an opinion. This art is really what you make it, and what is true for you is true.

-Vince

Sep 1, 2007
I kind of said this earlier, but I'm going to reiterate my point because I don't think anyone got it.

It doesn't matter at all what you call it. Not one miniscule iota. Who cares? Honestly?

Like those Nike commercials--Just Do It.

Now don't you all feel silly?

No?

Ok, nevermind. Carry on.

Jul 23, 2007
New York, NY
I kind of said this earlier, but I'm going to reiterate my point because I don't think anyone got it.

It doesn't matter at all what you call it. Not one miniscule iota. Who cares? Honestly?

Like those Nike commercials--Just Do It.

Now don't you all feel silly?

No?

Ok, nevermind. Carry on.

This thread isn't the best place to discuss this subject (since it largely started as a joke). I'm looking to better address this issue on a larger scale in the near future.

I will say, however, that there is an immense amount of confusion and misinformation crawling around today. And I think it's about time it is taken care of.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results