On T.V.

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
There is a small chance I might get on local televison in the coming months. I am working on a 30 to 45 min. magic special. (Filmed in San Antonio). And I was wondering, if I was to do the Sky Walker Levitation, would people ask me to do that non-stop every time they see me? Obviously you can't just levitate willy nilly. So what are your thoughts?

Jan 13, 2008
30-45 minutes of original material? Or material that you're securing the rights for (since you can't just perform other peoples effects on the air without their consent)? Either way, that'd be awesome to see! Hopefully you'll be allowed to post it online for us to see. :)

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
30-45 minutes of original material? Or material that you're securing the rights for (since you can't just perform other peoples effects on the air without their consent)? Either way, that'd be awesome to see! Hopefully you'll be allowed to post it online for us to see. :)

They are my takes on them. ( I will try to get permission for some if not I just won't do them)

EDIT:: I don't think you need permission, but I will ask respectively.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
local television no, although it is polite, however if it is national television, i.e. syndicated than yes you do need the permission of the creator of the effect to perform them as well as any music you may use for a routine

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
local television no, although it is polite, however if it is national television, i.e. syndicated than yes you do need the permission of the creator of the effect to perform them as well as any music you may use for a routine

Wow, thanks! That's a load off my mind! I make my own music so that isn't a problem either way. Just out of curiosity, how would you go about getting permission? I know they don't open a lot of their mail so how do you ask so they will pay attention?

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
if you title email's with "permission for broadcast" they tend to pay more attention, also some have managers or support staff or specific link on sites to ask for that permission specifically. as for the hard rock, i dont know. but i would assume not, its a landscape, as long as your not within it shooting, or referencing it directly its pretty much landscape. i wouldn't worry about that. for them, its at best free advertising

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden

No you dont need any permission, you can take almost any effect and performe it on national television and the creator cant do anything about it. You might get disrespected in the magic community but legally they cant do anything about it.

There is a small chance I might get on local televison in the coming months. I am working on a 30 to 45 min. magic special. (Filmed in San Antonio). And I was wondering, if I was to do the Sky Walker Levitation, would people ask me to do that non-stop every time they see me? Obviously you can't just levitate willy nilly. So what are your thoughts?
omg, thats great zac...i hope everything goes well if you do any levitation that amazes, you'll be asked to do so over and over...

I've been on national TV like 4 times now and people don't ask me to pound a spike into my skull everytime I'm in public. Don't get me wrong the exposure will be great but it won't result in instant fame.

You'll be okay to levitate without people expecting it of you.

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
I've been on national TV like 4 times now and people don't ask me to pound a spike into my skull everytime I'm in public. Don't get me wrong the exposure will be great but it won't result in instant fame.

You'll be okay to levitate without people expecting it of you.

Alright! Thanks for telling me. Especially since you have had experience.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Yes definitely do something very memorable (like levitating). Make sure before you shoot to talk with the camera man about best viewing angles and tell them to stay put. Most camera would want the best shot (which would be ground level obviously), so discourage them. I read somewhere in another discussion on this similar topic that one person even tipped some methods to the camera man to let them know the importance of getting the proper shot for the most convincing angles. Not sure how necessary that is, but you would hate to be 'busted' by an eager camera man. ;)

I strongly recommend against the Skywalker. Personally, I really would not want to see the Skywalker Levitation on television in any form. Mainly because it hasn't been touched yet, by the media and I don't think it should be seen on such a wide scale. That is one gem i believe should be reserved as a live experience only.

I would really appreciate you not using that particular levitation.

meh. Your fame, work, exposure, and footage for your demo reel or some one (singular) guys opinion on the net that you don't know and probably won't meet. Your choice in the end, but I say do the levitation!

Sorry Now, nothing personal

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
Yes definitely do something very memorable (like levitating). Make sure before you shoot to talk with the camera man about best viewing angles and tell them to stay put. Most camera would want the best shot (which would be ground level obviously), so discourage them. I read somewhere in another discussion on this similar topic that one person even tipped some methods to the camera man to let them know the importance of getting the proper shot for the most convincing angles. Not sure how necessary that is, but you would hate to be 'busted' by an eager camera man. ;)

The camera men know how I do it solely for the fact that they know where to be instantly when I say what effect i am about to do. We are all on the same level.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results