Penn and Teller - Why?

Sep 22, 2007
Hey guys im not big fans of them i don't understand how exposing tricks is entertainment. Even magicians see their show and love them i mean they expose great secrets. Why would they do such a thing it makes no sense why so many magicians like them and laymen also probably because they wont to know the secrets of out great art. Why do they espose our art and they have the show bull**** which is like always talking about like exposing frauds and they talk horribly about religion. Are they magicians or people who expose things i cant tell.

Input is Highly appreciated
Adam

P.S I am not trying to cause controversy i just truly don't understand

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
All the exposures they did are indeed their original handling/methods of the tricks. They are different than those magicians who expose other magicians tricks.

Dec 13, 2007
and while they do expose THIER tricks, they don't really expose them. You get a basic idea on how it works but they move so fast that you can never recreate what they're doing.

Also its entertaining because first your wowed by what seems to be simple tricks but are shown to be extremely complicated and difficult once they are revealed. It lets magicians and laymen alike appreciate the work put into the effect... and they usually overcomplicate there tricks a little to make it seem funny.

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
and while they do expose THIER tricks, they don't really expose them. You get a basic idea on how it works but they move so fast that you can never recreate what they're doing.

Also its entertaining because first your wowed by what seems to be simple tricks but are shown to be extremely complicated and difficult once they are revealed. It lets magicians and laymen alike appreciate the work put into the effect... and they usually overcomplicate there tricks a little to make it seem funny.

And another good thing about their exposures is the fact that they are pure sleights of hand (definitely no camera tricks or any kind of gimmicks that only work in front of camera). Audiences will have a better perception of what magicians really are and thus respect them more.

Sep 6, 2007
they only tell U the secrets but didn't tell U how to do that! for example the cups & balls' basic moves.

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
penn and teller are the best
their magic shows and their tv show bull**** are awesome

waynehouchin

theory11 artist
Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chico, CA
www.waynehouchin.com
Good morning! (or afternoon / evening depending on your location!)

Penn & Teller are called "The Bad Boys of Magic" - but I would suggest not judging them until you see their live show. Penn & Teller's Vegas show is by far the greatest magic show I have ever seen. It is pure art: Intelligent and Astonishing - forcing you to think about your own reality while being confronted with beautiful impossibilities. Penn can certainly be rough around the edges - that's his character (and personality) :) but it works brilliantly within the show. Teller - is a genius. His approach to magic as an art is truly brilliant.

If you do have an opportunity to see them perform - absolutely don't miss it.

Mar 6, 2008
Walla Walla WA
Penn and Teller are the ones that got me into magic. i seen a special on tv when i was seven. I have heard them called the loud mouth and the talent i found this funny but they are great. The way the perform and there thinking of every move is genuis. please dont look at them as the guys expose magic but the guys that have taken things to a new level.

thank you
we

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
First of all great thread. At first glance a lot of people misunderstand and underestimate these two amazing performers.

The reason I love Penn and Teller is that they are constantly creating and refining magic. True they do expose the methods behind a lot of their tricks but it is their original handling. And even though people get to see how they do thier great routines they still keep coming back time and time again. Teller's Shadow routine is still one of the most beautiful pieces of magic/theatre that I have ever seen.

One of the greatest contributions that P&T bring to magic is the audiences' appreciation for the work and craft that goes into creating and performing new effects. Even after seeing how they do effects most people still can't comprehend how they get from A to B.

True, Penn can be rather abrasive but that's how he is. It is also a great compliment to the silent subtleties of Teller. I agree with WH... if you can see them live it will be one of the most magical experiences you could encounter.
That's my two cents.

Cheers!

p.s. I also love B.S. The episode about bottled water is wonderful!

Mar 22, 2008
Hey guys im not big fans of them i don't understand how exposing tricks is entertainment. Even magicians see their show and love them i mean they expose great secrets. Why would they do such a thing it makes no sense why so many magicians like them and laymen also probably because they wont to know the secrets of out great art. Why do they espose our art and they have the show bull**** which is like always talking about like exposing frauds and they talk horribly about religion. Are they magicians or people who expose things i cant tell.

Input is Highly appreciated
Adam

P.S I am not trying to cause controversy i just truly don't understand

how are we supposed to get new magicians if we do not divulge some info
we were all laymen once nobody was born a magician.
remember that person or video or website that sparked the interest in the art.
if those events did not occur you would not be a magician.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
the one great thing i always loved about watching them perform especially in certain tricks is that while it was going on, penn would sit there describing every motion teller would make or he was making, you'd watch carefully analyzing everything, and at the very end there would be a second revelation, something even more that seems impossible like with the cups and balls or the cigarette trick, they were showing you their trick but it was obvious they weren't exposing their great secrets. Also on a seperate note, teller's trick "Shadow's" is most artistic and beautiful piece of magic i saw in a very long time

I love their show Bull$hit. It's smart, funny and entertaining. They do talk bad about religion, but that's their opinion and I think it's hilarious how they express it. It's like you can't get mad at a comedian for making a racist joke. You can't get mad at Pen and Teller for talking badly about religion.

Sep 1, 2007
Minnesota
You have to understand that Penn is a self-proclaimed Atheist, and he has said many times that he hates it when people are being deceived by their own lack of knowledge. Therefore, their whole act about revealing magic is in lieu with that.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results