Performing - Tips

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I do have some books on the basics, but not good tricks.

This is slightly off topic, but it really irked me. What makes a good trick? Why are the tricks in the basic books any less quality than Dan and Dave's all new super-cool kickass molecule 4 two-and-a-half card production with colour change in the form of a clipshift? Why are they worse because they're basic? Surely it's all how you present them. True, the basic books usually don't teach any way of presenting them, but isn't that better? Your performance isn't at risk of becoming a clone of Lee Asher or Wayne Houchin that way. I can't see any reason whatsoever that means the basic tricks in the basic books should be disregarded as 'not good tricks'.
Trust me, I passed over the basics until all too recently. It's worth taking another look.

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
I'm not saying they're bad because they are basic, they're just the self working ones which people can easily figure out, therefor aren't hard hitting effects. I don't perform any D&D because I find that isn't my style, I prefer magic over flourishes. The books were good when I was learning the mechanics grip ect...

Sep 1, 2007
I don't perform any D&D because I find that isn't my style, I prefer magic over flourishes.

At least you can tell the difference.

I'll let you in on something though. Two of my best card performances were recent. One used a sealed envelope with a card in it and Equivoque. The other was nothing more than a key card location.

The former worked because I framed it properly. The latter worked because of how I interacted with the spectator and knew when to shut my trap and let the suspense build up. It's really amazing how much you can get away with.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I'm not saying they're bad because they are basic, they're just the self working ones which people can easily figure out, therefor aren't hard hitting effects. I don't perform any D&D because I find that isn't my style, I prefer magic over flourishes. The books were good when I was learning the mechanics grip ect...

Go back and re learn all the classics and then try to come up with new ways to present them. Old School things to lay people is actually New, because they have not seen or heard it before. "It's new me!"

Sep 1, 2007
I don't think you're getting what I'm saying, I don't dislike old effects. One of my favorite effects is ACR.

Then you already have what you need.

If you really want performing tips, don't ask for new material. Ask how you can maximize what you have already.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I'm not saying they're bad because they are basic, they're just the self working ones which people can easily figure out, therefor aren't hard hitting effects

May I recommend you towards Derren Brown's Tricks of the Mind? Read page 25 onwards (the section entitled 'A coin trick'. Read to the very end of that section. You will realize that there is no such thing as a self working trick, only a self working method. After all, how does the audience know whether a trick is self working or knuckle-bustingly difficult? The answer is: they shouldn't know the difference. Because if you present it well enough as magic, then there is no method. Because magic doesn't have a method. There is no sleight of hand, just your 'powers' or however you choose to present it. The thing is, if an audience thinks they know how a trick is done, then that is how the trick is done, to them at least. Therefore, a self working trick should be no less magical or easier to figure out than a sleight-heavy trick. In fact it should be harder, because there is 1: no funny moves and 2: you can concentrate more on presentation.
I hope that made a small amount of sense, I'm off to bed now.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results