Performing

Mar 26, 2008
Los Angeles
I was just wondering how u guys out there perform. Do u guys do kid shows or do u try to get gigs at resturants and bars or do u just go out on the street and ask random people if they want to see a trick. Im only 15 and look even younger for my age so i dont think anyone would hire me for a resturant gig, i dont really want to perform for kids i mostly like strolling type magic. i dont know how to start performing?any tips?

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Right now I just perform for family and friends and family friends and relatives and relative's friends....
See where I'm going with this? The more you just perform for people(even if they are close friends or family) the more people will talk. When people talk, you will gain a reputation....hopefully a good one.

Some people really like to go out there on the street or in a restaurant and perform. I'm happy where I am now. I'm a casual performer that does magic when the situation feels right. I don't force myself to do magic on the streets and stuff. It's just my style. However, the more I perform in general, the more I find that people are requesting to see something. I no longer have to ask if "you want to see some magic". Some people are the exact opposite and go up to random strangers and do magic constantly. It just depends on what you feel comfortable with.

That is not to say that you shouldn't perform. Performing is an extremely important aspect to magic. When you are relaxed in performance, your magic will improve dramatically. And the only way to practice performance is by...... performing. ;)

That's all I got on this. Hope it helps out,

_CC

My parents are teachers, so I go to a lot of parties with their friends.
Performing magic to adults for free is the best way to start out, because it's good experience, and you occasionally get asked about that party coming up.... ;)

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I was just wondering how u guys out there perform. Do u guys do kid shows or do u try to get gigs at resturants and bars or do u just go out on the street and ask random people if they want to see a trick. Im only 15 and look even younger for my age so i dont think anyone would hire me for a resturant gig, i dont really want to perform for kids i mostly like strolling type magic. i dont know how to start performing?any tips?

I'm only 14, and I recently did a restaurant gig. Age doesn't matter, confidence does. If you think you're ready to do restaurant, phone up and ask for an appointment with the manager. Then knock the manager dead (metaphorically, or I doubt your gig would be happening any time soon). Offer to do a trial day, all that sort of stuff. Age shouldn't matter as long as you can prove you aren't just a kid with a deck of cards before they make judgments. Do a variety of stuff, and have a kicker ending (at the end). As long as you're confident enough that you can do it, you'll be fine. Don't quote me on that last bit though.

Apart from that, I basically do street magic only at school; I go up to random people and offer to show them a trick. I have done street magic before, actually on the streets, but it doesn't appeal to me in same way. The other thing I do occasionally is go to the chippie (conveniently situated next door to my house) and offer to show magic to the customers whilst they're waiting. 'S a good way of passing weekends, gets me experience and free chips more often that not. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
When I am out and about buying Red Hot Chili Peppers Cd's or DVD's or out to lunch or something I will often do a bit of walk around, strolling, or "Street" magic. But to get hired I have done some kids parties as well as worked at a restaurant for some time. In June I am doing a 45 minute kid show then some walk-around stuff for the adults. they are paying me 650$. And an estimated 200$ - 500$ in tips they said.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results