Problem at School

Mar 30, 2008
DC
Hey guys, something happened to me at school today so I thought I would share it. Just some background knowledge, I am a freshman at high school and have been doing magic for a couple years.

Today, I was performing 5 speed (love it) for a friend when all of a sudden this junior comes out of nowhere and starts watching. I though it natural for more people to be interested. I asked my friend if he would like to cut the deck and he replies no. However, this junior asks to cut the deck. I had never seen him before, but as soon as I gave him the deck he did Madonna, Sybil, etc.

It was not anything I could not do, but through XCM, he began to steal my show and knew it. He looked at me and started smiling, smirking, etc. He gave the deck back after everyone was awed, but my 5 speed worked perfectly.

My presentation undid most of his cuts and he got mad when people liked the trick.

SO, he takes out Guardians and does starts doing some XCM that i could not do including Vertigo, he started out with De'Vo's Cradle to the Grave. I then notice he is wearing a T11 shirt.

I immediately said, "Wow you are really good, how long have you been practicing?"

He replies by saying , "A lot longer than you"

I laugh and He goes on to say, "Which is why my tricks or my flourishes don't suck"

I was like what the heck? Where did that come from. He continues to tell me that i need work on some of the few moves required in 5 speed (which is a great and simple trick btw). At this point he completely steals my audience, by KNOCKING THE CARDS OUT OF MY HAND. Unfortunately for him, most people helped me pick up my cards and then left because of his attitude.

I was mad about this as well I might have been able to squeeze in the Distortion I had saved in my pockets. He sees me putting the distortion back and says, "That's from T11 right?"

I say yes, and then he responds to say, "T11 is terrible I hate it."

I shot back immediately (I love this site), and said, "YOU ARE WEARING A T11 SHIRT AND ARE DOING XCM WITH THEIR OWN GUARDIANS!"

He starts dissing T11 and tries to heckle me more by trying to slap the cards out of my hand again. As I try to leave, I see some of his friends come to him and they go, "Yeah, Junior ( I guess thats his name??) is amazing at magic, you got nothing on him" and I'm like what the **** you haven't seen me do a trick (of course I do not say that out loud, I just think it in my mind).

Junior then says, "I'll show you some real magic on Monday" and leaves.

Now here are my thoughts:

I wasn't even looking for trouble, this kid came out of nowhere, and contradicts himself by dissing T11 while using their merchandise in more than one way, and tries to bring me down by telling me I suck?

He isn't much better than me at XCM and I haven't even seen his tricks. What do I tell him at school on Monday when he shows me off? He is being a complete ******* for no reason!

I do not want to make a scene and try to outdo him with my own tricks and I just don't want to be enemies or magicians competing against each other.

Help?

Sep 1, 2007
This seems like a really far fetched story. If it's true, I would say just try not to let him bother you. It's obvious he felt threatened by another magician so he acted like a jerk. Just try ignoring him.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Haha that was pretty funny and if you are going to do a magic duel (I guess) and don't know his tricks the only way to upstage him is to do mind reading with a couple of stooges.

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
The problem is not going to go away by itself it seems so I would let your magic talk for itself. If you own stigmata or control or any other really powerful effect, I would do it on monday in front of him and an audience. Just amaze them to a point where anything he does cannot top you. Either that or just expose every trick he does and show them you can do it just as good :p...

May 5, 2008
That does sound a little far out there... but stranger things have happened. Looks, two words that will normally help you "Walk Away". Don't try to be super magic man, no audience cares that much... at any age. Just be yourself, don't perform in front of him and if he comes to you, just be nice and walk away. UNTIL he is mature enough to be kind and respect you, he doesn't deserve your attention or your acknowledgment of his existence. I kind of hope he's on the forums and can give his story though. I still think schools are not the best place to perform, but heck I can't say much seeing as I did it when I was in school too.

May 5, 2008
The problem is not going to go away by itself it seems so I would let your magic talk for itself. If you own stigmata or control or any other really powerful effect, I would do it on monday in front of him and an audience. Just amaze them to a point where anything he does cannot top you. Either that or just expose every trick he does and show them you can do it just as good :p...

This is a ridiculously BAD idea. PLEASE don't do this. I urge you to take a higher ground and be nice. If you try to "upstage" him, it will only make things worse for both of you. You said yourself that people stayed to help you. They didn't say "wow you suck compared to him"... I don't care if he can fly. If he acts like a jerk, THATS what he will be seen as... ok maybe a jerk that can fly.

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
Don't turn this into a battle/competition.

Try to make friends. Go up to him and say something like...

"Hey you know [this trick (whatever trick)]?" (if he says yes) Then say something like "Hey could you give me some tips on this"

If I were you i'd be like, "Hey could you give me some tips on this move?" I'm sure he won't mind like... Helping you, as long as you don't show up as the dominant magician/flourisher. As for me, I'm the dominant magician at my school, but if other magicians do tricks, i'll applaud, or go with the crowd. Just ask him to "mentor you" so when you do a trick, and people ask how you do it, say... It was all thanks to Junior!

Just my two cents.

-Eugene

Mar 30, 2008
DC
He says he hates T11 so I do not know but hopefully he is on the forums and CAN explain his actions.

EDIT:IF HE HAS BOUGHT T11 PRODUCTS WOULDN'T HE HAVE TO HAVE AN ACCOUNT?

Also, I do not really want to show him off or anything, I'd just rather be friends than have to go against him, moreso because I do not really like arguing and it could build up.

Thanks lazydog, if something happens Monday I'll just take your advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 5, 2008
He says he hates T11 so I do not know but hopefully he is on the forums and CAN explain his actions.

Also, I do not really want to show him off or anything, I'd just rather be friends than have to go against him, moreso because I do not really like arguing and it could build up.

Thanks lazydog, if something happens Monday I'll just take your advice.

Just remember, SOME people you can't be friends with... that has to be a mutual choice. However, you can choose to not be enemies... that choice is only up to you :)

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
Assuming the story is true than I really don't think walking up to a kid that throws your cards on the floor and says he'll show you up, asking him for advice would work. The best solution is to walk away but if he keeps following you around I personally wouldn't just sit there and take it

May 5, 2008
Assuming the story is true than I really don't think walking up to a kid that throws you card on the floor and says he'll show you up and asking him for advice would work. The best solution is to walk away but if he keeps following you around I personally wouldn't just sit there and take it

Well thats when you channel the powers of Ricky Jay and slice his arm off with an AoS (kidding). If he does follow you around (which would shock me), just ask him (in public) if he really has nothing better to do as an upper classman than to follow a low freshmen around with a deck of cards. Then make the statment "I do this to hit on girls... why are you following meeeeee?"

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Assuming the story is true than I really don't think walking up to a kid that throws your cards on the floor and says he'll show you up, asking him for advice would work. The best solution is to walk away but if he keeps following you around I personally wouldn't just sit there and take it

Me neither i would have to go against him although I don't flourish presintation is everything.

Mar 30, 2008
DC
Thanks for the help guys.

I was really shocked by the whole thing, I never though something like this could occur.

Hopefully it won't escalate.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
I'll have to agree with lazydog here.

Confronting the guy is exactly what he wants. Obviously he's a bully. The best way to deal with a bully is to not give him what he wants, and pretend that no matter what he does or says, it doesn't affect you.

That is, just do what lazydog suggests, don't give him a confrentation no matter what he says or does. He's a non-entity.

He's obviously trying to push your buttons. Don't let him. I know this is a hard thing to do, but take it from experience, the best way to beat someone who is trying to upstage you or belittle you is to show that whatever they do doesn't affect you in any way.

Dec 13, 2007
oh... i'm Junior... na... i'm just kidding, i hope he has an account that would be funny... but since he appears to dislike theory 11 then he probably doesn't

Anyway... I don't know your skill level, but i would do tricks that are clean simple and i definitely have a lot of audience participation...

Flow would be great because is so clean and simple and the audience has complete control (which makes them feel sort of good)... Stigmata would be great (mentalism always hits hard)... and 2 Card monte surprisingly gets me some of the best reactions... its not about your skill with a deck of cards (which it seems like this kid is mostly about)... its about your skill at winning the audience

in the great words of that guy from the movie gladiator (great movie)... "win the crowd... win your freedom"

Dec 28, 2007
What do you need help for?
It is this guy who needs the help (or a good kicking).
I don’t know anything about the US schools system but I assume he is older than you are and this is blatant bullying.
The fact that he knocked your cards out of your hand is assault and he is trying to damage your property is seriously overstepping boundaries! In an adult environment e.g. the workplace, he could end up in front of the police.

Don’t play to his rules. Don’t play his game. Why should you turn up on Monday? Where is it written that you have to do this?

He sounds like his has suffered some kind of abuse (physical, mental or even worse). Do you really want anything to do with someone like this? Just stay away from him. If he won’t leave you alone report him as his behaviour is highly inappropriate.

In the mean time, get on with enjoying your magic and showing you friends your routines. If this looser comes up to you, tell him to leave you alone! If he doesn't, report him or speak to your parents.

Big George.

May 5, 2008
IF and ONLY IF he continues and WILL NOT quit, and continues to try and show you up. You can always store this line in the back of your brain. "thats impressive, but all it proves is that you spend more time in your bedroom alone than I do. Yea, I bet your hands have a lot of "Practice" don't they?"

I don't really suggest that. However, when considering an audience. They don't care if you are doing magic or cracking jokes... they simply seek to be entertained. You'd be surprised how far a few jokes can get you. Just ask Gazzo. This is only to be considered at an absolute last resort and in an audience with a minimum of 4 hot girls.

::warning:: He may hit you for saying that! Thats why you need a minimum of 4 hot girls. Take the hit, one of those girls might actually be impressed with your wit and willingness to take a punch. But don't resort to fighting. Take the punch like a man and let it go :) Then enjoy your next school dance together while he practices the cobra cut in his bedroom alone.

Mar 2, 2008
I don't know what i am more shocked at, having some guy come and smack cards out of your hand diss theory11 while using there stuff or having anther magicain at a school. In my area i have never seen a teen magicain im litterly the only one. Oh well I try to work around him. Just try to stay out of his way and you will be fine and don't talk to him.

Oh and tell us what happends on monday.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
Hey guys, something happened to me at school today so I thought I would share it. Just some background knowledge, I am a freshman at high school and have been doing magic for a couple years.

Today, I was performing 5 speed (love it) for a friend when all of a sudden this junior comes out of nowhere and starts watching. I though it natural for more people to be interested. I asked my friend if he would like to cut the deck and he replies no. However, this junior asks to cut the deck. I had never seen him before, but as soon as I gave him the deck he did Madonna, Sybil, etc.

It was not anything I could not do, but through XCM, he began to steal my show and knew it. He looked at me and started smiling, smirking, etc. He gave the deck back after everyone was awed, but my 5 speed worked perfectly.

My presentation undid most of his cuts and he got mad when people liked the trick.

SO, he takes out Guardians and does starts doing some XCM that i could not do including Vertigo, he started out with De'Vo's Cradle to the Grave. I then notice he is wearing a T11 shirt.

I immediately said, "Wow you are really good, how long have you been practicing?"

He replies by saying , "A lot longer than you"

I laugh and He goes on to say, "Which is why my tricks or my flourishes don't suck"

I was like what the heck? Where did that come from. He continues to tell me that i need work on some of the few moves required in 5 speed (which is a great and simple trick btw). At this point he completely steals my audience, by KNOCKING THE CARDS OUT OF MY HAND. Unfortunately for him, most people helped me pick up my cards and then left because of his attitude.

I was mad about this as well I might have been able to squeeze in the Distortion I had saved in my pockets. He sees me putting the distortion back and says, "That's from T11 right?"

I say yes, and then he responds to say, "T11 is terrible I hate it."

I shot back immediately (I love this site), and said, "YOU ARE WEARING A T11 SHIRT AND ARE DOING XCM WITH THEIR OWN GUARDIANS!"

He starts dissing T11 and tries to heckle me more by trying to slap the cards out of my hand again. As I try to leave, I see some of his friends come to him and they go, "Yeah, Junior ( I guess thats his name??) is amazing at magic, you got nothing on him" and I'm like what the **** you haven't seen me do a trick (of course I do not say that out loud, I just think it in my mind).

Junior then says, "I'll show you some real magic on Monday" and leaves.

Now here are my thoughts:

I wasn't even looking for trouble, this kid came out of nowhere, and contradicts himself by dissing T11 while using their merchandise in more than one way, and tries to bring me down by telling me I suck?

He isn't much better than me at XCM and I haven't even seen his tricks. What do I tell him at school on Monday when he shows me off? He is being a complete ******* for no reason!

I do not want to make a scene and try to outdo him with my own tricks and I just don't want to be enemies or magicians competing against each other.

Help?

yeah it's obvious that he felt threated because you were another magician and he didn't want you to steal his thunder. Just ignore him.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results