Problem at School

Yeah this sort of happened to me too at lunch, just not as bad. The guy was quietly revealing my tricks to the guy next to him. Then he did a trick with a slip force, trying to steal my audience. Lunch ended, so nothing else happened. I guess just some people get jealous of your audience, and try to be a jerk and take over. I would try to ignore him, but if he comes again, get some older magicians on your side to make him get a life (and an audience).

Mar 30, 2008
DC
I'll post it again, here is what happened:

Well this week is HSA week (High School Assessment) at my school so freshman, sohpmores, and some juniors are required to take tests by the state of Maryland. I don't have to take any, but i think Junior did because I didn't see him at all.

Or maybe he realized he was being a piece of **** and decided to not show up ^.^

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Wow, I would be really mad.
If I were you, once he brings out his deck, I would knock it out of his hands.
That's messed up.

Isn't it cool though, every time a magician drops a prop (cards, sponge balls) your specs help pick it up for you. Anyone else notice that, or is it only me?

I only know 2 other magicians at my school, and another from my sister.
Once I showed them a few tricks/flourishes, we became friends. We watch each other to see how we do when performing for different people to see what we need to improve on. Sometimes we invent new tricks. We also discuss what should be a good buy that's on the market.
Plus on a side note, we borrow DVD's from each other.
What do you expect, this hobby's expensive. ;)

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Yeah, everytime I've dropped my cards my specs helped me picked 'em up. Oh, and a great line to use when someone knocks the cards out of your hand, and that will probably get your audience laughing and on your side, is:

"Now I want you to notice that I've used my telekinetic powers to make the cards fall in that exact position. No, seriously. I will give you ten dollars, right here, if you can make the cards fall exactly like that."

Of course, that might make him even angrier, but it would get the crowd on your side. Don't show anger. Make the best of the situation, seem happy, and eventually he'll go away. By the way, make sure you say the above line with a tiny little bit of sarcasm in your voice.

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
I want to call this kid so many things that would probably get me banned from the forums.

He has an ego the size of the moon, that's obvious, and definitely seems threatened by you. I understand... there's nothing worse to me than when I am told my magic "sucks" because I have worked so long, so hard, and achieved so much with it that it almost breaks my heart to hear such a statement directed toward me or any other magician.

You were trying to me nice to him and make friend, and he shot you down... big time. That is totally inexcusable. If I were you, I'd find a good opportunity to have a serious discussion with him about the situation... perhaps both promise to either stay out of eachother's way or start to hang out, discuss magic, and become good magic buddies who support eachother. I am lucky enough to have a magician like that at my school... he is one of my best friends and we are always willing to help each other out. He hasn't been doing it very long but has tremendous potential. I recommend you try as hard as you can to gain a relationship like that... it is extremely beneficial, take it from me.

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
School is really the worst place to do magic. I actually did do some today which was my first time actually performing for live audiences and I have not practiced/performed magic in a while. You will always see other kids trying to heckle you your make false assumptions thinking they "know it all."
But that Junior's behavior was really unacceptable. Our youth today eh?

Oct 6, 2007
School is really the worst place to do magic. I actually did do some today which was my first time actually performing for live audiences and I have not practiced/performed magic in a while. You will always see other kids trying to heckle you your make false assumptions thinking they "know it all."
But that Junior's behavior was really unacceptable. Our youth today eh?

You're blaming your spectators, because YOu havent practised in a while? WOW! ....That's obviously the way to handle the problem- blame the spectators because YOU didn't practise!

And school is not the worst place to do magic. It all depends on the magican. Can he handle the school environment? Is he able to controls crowds of rowdy students? You can't say it's the worst palce because you, or other magicians cannot perform well in that environment, while others can!

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Yeah, everytime I've dropped my cards my specs helped me picked 'em up. Oh, and a great line to use when someone knocks the cards out of your hand, and that will probably get your audience laughing and on your side, is:

"Now I want you to notice that I've used my telekinetic powers to make the cards fall in that exact position. No, seriously. I will give you ten dollars, right here, if you can make the cards fall exactly like that."

Of course, that might make him even angrier, but it would get the crowd on your side. Don't show anger. Make the best of the situation, seem happy, and eventually he'll go away. By the way, make sure you say the above line with a tiny little bit of sarcasm in your voice.

That's brilliant!!!!!!

I'm too old to go to school, (waaaaaay too old) but if I was going to school, I'd use that in a heartbeat! It makes him angry, making him look bad, and you've turned his bullying into making you look better. Best of all, he has no retaliation, and you've done nothing to him!

Kudos!

Sep 1, 2007
Hong Kong
Just leave him (Junior) alone. Magic is not about fellow magicians insulting or beating up each other. It's all the spectators! Period.
Magic is all about doing your best to entertain the spectators. So let them be the judges, not your rival magicians.

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
i havent got that problem cause i dont have any other magicians at my school my friend started but he only wanted to learn secrets which really sucked i dont have any magic friends i wouldn tmind one that would accually be dedicated to magic.

Apr 4, 2008
AHHH. This has been the longest thread I have ever read! It only took like 20 minutes.

What I would do? (Sorry a little late)

Call him fat and run away.

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
You're blaming your spectators, because YOu havent practised in a while? WOW! ....That's obviously the way to handle the problem- blame the spectators because YOU didn't practise!

And school is not the worst place to do magic. It all depends on the magican. Can he handle the school environment? Is he able to controls crowds of rowdy students? You can't say it's the worst palce because you, or other magicians cannot perform well in that environment, while others can!

You're assuming my PERFORMANCE was bad? I can perform my sleights well. I'm talking about people who goes to YouTube and whenever I do a double lift they just get the card and say "look TWO CARDS!" It seems you do not know what "HECKLING" means.
And I'm talking about FROM personal experience.

Sep 1, 2007
Canada Eh?
Become Asian like like me and go kung fu on him!

But seriously, you have to obviously defend your own position, but in a sportsmaship kind of manner. You can't let him take your position, but the same goes for him, you can't take his. So you have to find a balance between you two. It's hard to do when he has that certain attitude, but with the right actions, it can be done.

And am I reluctiant to have a school with 'good' kids so to say that really do appreciate magic or what others do.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results