Problem at School

This is crazy. He was only mad because someone new that was younger than him came in and was able to do all the stuff he could. So on monday what you want to do is simply ignore him. Keep your distance. I don't mean run when you see him just kind of casually slip away talking to a friend or something. All he wants is a reaction from you and you can't give it to him. Ignore him and eventually he'll get bored if you're not getting mad at him, then he'll leave you alone.

Dylan P.

Oct 28, 2007
ok, i don't know about you guys but i would be freakin p****d, over time i can handle things but having all that happen at once i would of just gone off on that guy! if some one knocked cards out of my hand for no reason and started flouishing i would of knocked his cards away and pulled out my back up deck and started flourishing and walked off.

call it arrogant but i can control my anger but this s*** makes me so mad, it is like eating and having some one take it and eat it in you face! i would make some quik witted remarks and if he attacks me or something oh well his in trouble :p i'm a freshmen too but i know how to defend my self (just saying)

now i wouldn't recomend this but that is probably what i would of done on the spot.

Just perform. Don't try to top him. Just keep going, and you'll be good and the crowd favorite. There are two magicians in my school, which is me and my good friend who is older than me.

I'm a Freshman also, so just perform. Do what you do best. Don't buy the most amazing tricks to out do him. The crowd loves the kid who treats them kindly without disrespecting anyone.

If he wants to challenge you, just tell him that " That's not what magic is about and you're a total loser for even wanting a magic challenge"

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
i would have kicked his ass right there. You should have broken one of his fingers. He won't return.:mad:

I suggest you put your snotty attitude else where, all I have seen from you is negative posts.

If you continue to be like that, I think you should go find another place to talk about magic because everyone else (except dummyisdumb) is fairly nice and has good views and I wish I could say the same about you but I can't.

As for the original topic, just compliment him on his card skills and move on, you are being polite but showing that it isn't necessary for him to come in like that and showoff.

This is an Allan Approved Post+

Oct 28, 2007
I suggest you put your snotty attitude else where, all I have seen from you is negative posts.

If you continue to be like that, I think you should go find another place to talk about magic because everyone else (except dummyisdumb) is fairly nice and has good views and I wish I could say the same about you but I can't.

As for the original topic, just compliment him on his card skills and move on, you are being polite but showing that it isn't necessary for him to come in like that and showoff.

no way compliment him on his card skills after he just knocked them out of you hands and told you off? i don't care who you are never ever! compliment people if they did that to you, that just gives them confidence that they can just push you around, stand up to him and save your pride. Just don't start a fight you don't want to be a fool and get in trouble over something like that unless he starts the fight.

I was joking. You obviously didn't see my sarcasm.

no way compliment him on his card skills after he just knocked them out of you hands and told you off? i don't care who you are never ever! compliment people if they did that to you, that just gives them confidence that they can just push you around, stand up to him and save your pride. Just don't start a fight you don't want to be a fool and get in trouble over something like that unless he starts the fight.

I'm not calling Pavan a liar, but the story sounds really really far fetched to me. I'm sure something happened but not to that extent. and in that case Allan has the right idea

Sep 3, 2007
This happens all the time in high school.

But usually over stupider things...

Tell your parents (explicitly tell them not to report, but just so they know in case it somehow escalates and because you want to trust them) (but be careful or else they'll stop letting you perform at school)

Avoid him for awhile (let him cool down, he might've just been having a bad day) (but don't do it blatantly)

And if you have to trade insults remember 2 things:
1. If you give them, be willing to take them
2. Always make sure they are funny (if someone is laughing they won't kick your ***) (yo momma jokes aren't funny)

You always want to be in control of the situation. That is the most important part.

Sep 1, 2007
OR you could buy The Heckler by Brian Tudor and use a lot of the same principles and do what all magicians say don't do!

You know why magicians say not to do that? Because it makes a heckler want to destroy you even more.

In this case, pissing the guy off even more would just make his antagonism that much worse. This posturing troglodyte shows off fancy cuts to beat his chest and make everyone think he's better than he actually is. And you want to advocate trying to out-chimp him by playing by his rules? Scuh-rew that!

This is one of the reasons I don't like Brian Tudor.

Sep 3, 2007
One last thing: keep your ego out of this. That's how you maintain control of the situation and keep it from escalating.

You want to turn this person into your friend and not beat them in a challenge.

"The art of fighting without fighting"

IF and ONLY IF he continues and WILL NOT quit, and continues to try and show you up. You can always store this line in the back of your brain. "thats impressive, but all it proves is that you spend more time in your bedroom alone than I do. Yea, I bet your hands have a lot of "Practice" don't they?"

This is a funny line except for 2 things. 1 you are stepping on his performance making you appear jealous 2 you make magicians look like losers who can't stop ************

Be the bigger man.

Oct 8, 2007
Reminds me of "The Prestige".

I say do Flow and let the water pour on his head, then amp up an Electric Touch and fry him, then suck all the iron out from his body with the M5 (think Magneto), or upgrade your M5 to an M16 and fill his body with bullet holes, then proceed to paint the town red... with his blood.

In all seriousness though, don't do any of those, or anything else that can merit you a punch in the face. They're out of the question. You'd know what those are anyway. These are natural in school settings, and not always related to magic mind you.

As tempting as showing him off might sound, this isn't the best way to handle the situation. Honestly, to have a mutual relationship with people like those sounds a bit too difficult to achieve at times, and I know for a fact that resorting to telling your parents or the authority about your problem can take it's toll on your pride. It's how it works these days, or around here at least.

Try to assert yourself passively, if that makes sense. He wants to be the more superior magician and he means to get that through intimidation. If those don't happen, what else can he do? If you, in fact, are less capable than he is, what have you to lose? You status alone as a freshman is already a factor. People would soon realize that he's just insecure and that he's no better than what he wants everyone to think.

If it does come to a "duel", chances are he's aware of the material you'll do. With or without competition, your best bet would be to perform your best and to entertain the audience, not to show off the other. That's what you're supposed to be doing in the first place and that's what the people expect out of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I say do Flow and let the water pour on his head, then amp up an Electric Touch and fry him, then suck all the iron out from his body with the M5 (think Magneto), or upgrade your M5 to an M16 and fill his body with bullet holes, then proceed to paint the town red... with his blood.

THIS!!!

Not really but that made me laugh aloud.

Learn to throw cards really accurately and far, grab an old deck and follow him around while hes flourishing and hurl cards into the mix at high speeds from great distance. Knock his cards out of his hands using pure skill.

I kid. Honestly though just let the guy know you don't want confrontation, but if I was in your position and he seriously got in my face, and I thought I was capable, then I'd take him. If you are better than him and he's being cocky, then I personally would show him why he needs to shut up.

I don't recommend that, because it's not the "high road". You probably should walk away, it would save you a lot of trouble and potentially a beating.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Oct 6, 2007
What gain would he receive from kicking his a**. A lot of you have suggested this, and all this shows is that you do not have the capability of solving problems in a mature manner.

I am actually not surprised at your story.

What I've learnt from performing magic in school for many years now...as well as meeting many 'bad' tricksters, is that...magicians are jealous people.

They get intimidated/threatened by another magicians skill or audience appreciation for him. Don't tell me that none of you have never felt the slightest bit jealous when another magician performed for your exact same audience and got a 'better' reaction.

What I would do is just ignore him. Perform for your audiences..and continue to amaze and entertain them.

If he gets in your way and becomes a heckler...finish off the trick. Don't ruin the show (espeically in school where people are busy and don't have that much time) for the audience. Once the performance is over thank te audience, including that guy and tehn pull him aside and talk to him.

Ask him wether he realizes that he himself is being a heckler. Ask him WHY he is doing this.

Try and solve the issue by just talking to him and explaining what your situation is.

Hope this helps...you never know....you could just gain another magician friend on monday.

Sep 11, 2007
Houston TX
well as soon as he would of slapped the cards out of my hand I would had fought him but thats just my personality and where I grew up tho, but listen to everyone else thats some really good tips you dont want to start a fight with him specially if his friends are around him you will probably get jumped so yeah have fun and be carefull

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela

You arent a moderator, are you?

Dec 15, 2007
Hawaii
Just do your own thing in magic. Dont let him bother you, you'll succed more than him. And he is not a Magician if he has no respect for another magician. Have fun kid!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results