Real Magic

Aug 31, 2007
California
Figured I'd post up the first article over here at Theory 11.

If you were to see real magic, what would it look like?
Would it look as if you levitated, effortlessly into the air, with no cover? Would it look as if you asked a spectator to think of ANY number, and you named the number out of their head?

Would it look as if a card visually melted into the card the spectator is merely thinking of? If you were to do REAL magic, what would it look like? As magicians, we try to IMITATE what real magic would look like, if such a thing existed. Saying that, does your magic, look, well, real? Does it look as if it is real magic? Or a cheap re-make?

Ask yourself the above questions, and more:

Does my magic look real?
Why not?

Is it because I am doing all of these fancy cuts and "XCM" moves?
Is it because the only choice I have is to ask the spectator to “pick a card?”
What am I limited to? (Card effects? Simple pick a card effects? Gimmicks? No gimmicks? Etc?)
If I were to do REAL magic, what would it look like?
Would I HAVE to cover my feet?
Would I HAVE to do all of these cuts?
Would I HAVE to do this, or would I have to do that?

If you were to do real magic, would you have to have the spectator choose a card, place it back into the deck, you shuffle, than name their card? Or could you just have the spectator think of a card, and you could name it?

I think you get the idea…
___

Before you can answer the above question, you have to know what real magic is. Yeah, that would be useful.
The dictionary definition of magic is this:
The art of producing illusions as entertainment by the use of sleight of hand, deceptive devices, etc.
I do not believe this is what we should be presenting our magic as though. Magic, in my opinion, is showing an audience the impossible. Taking them into their imagination and making the impossible, possible.
That is just how I think about magic. Everyone has their own opinion and thoughts on this subject. Some present it as sleight of hand and trickery, others present it as true magic and others leave the audience to pick. I like to let my audience believe what they like. I present it as impossible but I am not saying that my magic is REAL. I do not claim “powers” or the like.

What do you see when you think of Magic. Flying? Vanishing? Making things appear?
Think about what you see. Now, is there an effect that can re-create what you saw? If not, try to create on. If you “don’t know how” to create effects or need a basis, that is for another thread.
A man that can create true magic is Eugene Burger. His presentation makes the effects his. From the way he looks to the way he pronounces words. Everything is pin-pointed and screams magic.
Read below to find out more…
___

People ask all of the time was real magic looks like. Look at Mr. David Copperfield. Everything he does is simple and fairly visual. From his flight, to Grandfathers Aces. All of is has a magical aura around it. Why? Let’s dissect one of his performances of his flying routine. He starts out with a falcon on his arm. He lets it fly off stage. This creates the setup (not method wise) for his about to take flight. Who wouldn’t want to fly? He lies down on his back. He slowly, effortlessly, starts to hover over the ground. With a sway of his hands, he goes higher and higher, and slowly lowers back to the ground. This is the opening for this effect. It is perfect. He doesn’t go all out with the effect. Yet, it is enough to set the mood. Next, he stands up. Slowly starts to fly around the stage. Going higher, and higher. Like superman. This is the hard-hitting part. He has just begun his act and from the opening, it is amazing. Next, two assistants come out with hoops as he lies, back down, on thin air. They go around him. I do not think this was needed. It basically destroys the magical aura. It only screams the fact that there might just be wires. This is the only thing I would not have done.

Next, a box is brought out. He flies into the box and a lid is places atop the box. David is now flying, in the box. How much more magical can you get? I mean, seriously. The way he moves is completely elegant and smooth. An assistant walks atop the box. David is walking, upside down, the box, following the assistant’s steps. This just adds the Copperfield touch to the effect. This is HIM. Than, to top everything off. He flies out of the box, and asks an audience member to come on to the stage. She does so. David grabs the audience member. He starts to fly while holding onto her. They both go up into the air. It gives a very magical aura, mixed with the music and his movements.
It goes black.

Everything is very well thought out. From the music, to the movements he does. Everything is very simple, visual, elegant, and has that impossibility factor. There is an opening, middle, and an end. The perfect effect.
Another effect, most of you will be much more familiar with, is Silver Dream. 3 coins, visually, vanish from open hands. Amazing.

Why so magical? There have been effects like it before. But this one just screams magic. Why? Everything about the effect is magical. Every movement leads into another, there is a reason to why each coin is vanished, and there is a reason for each movement. The way each coin vanishes is unique.
It is beautifully routined.

Both of the above effects don’t only look amazing, but they look real. If I were to really fly, that is how it would look. If I was to really vanish 3 coins, elegantly, that is how it would look.
This is how you should think of each and every one of your effects.

(To see the above effects, you can see Silver Dream being performed by Justin Miller on Ellusionist. To see David Copperfield Fly and to see his Grandfather's Aces, search it in youtube.)
___

“But how Keenan, how could I possibly make each and every one of my effects look and feel like real magic?”
That may be what you are wondering. Well, sit down, get some cookies, and listen to Uncle Keenan and maybe, just maybe, he can help you out with your dilemma.

Supplies (What you will be needing)

A notebook
A pencil
Something to put the notebook on
Your hands
Your head (Including your brain and imagination.)

That is about it.

Now, write down each and every one of the effects that you perform. Write down what the spectators see, and then the method for each effect. In detail. From the subtleties to the presentation, to the script. Write down EVERYTHING about the effect.
Now, perform the effect to yourself. In the mirror, to a video camera, camera phone, anything so that you can see and hear the effect being performed. Perform it like you would to a normal spectator.
Now, if you are using a video camera (camera phone/webcam) you can rewind it and watch it again. (If not, watch yourself in the mirror and perform it for a parent or friend) Watch the effect over again.

Ask yourself these questions:

Does it look magical?
Does it look natural?
Does it sound natural?
Why doesn’t it look magical?
Is there reasoning for everything I do and say?
Is that sleight, saying, movement, shuffle, cut, etc. Really needed in the effect?
If I were to do this effect with REAL MAGIC, is this what it would look like?

(Those are only a few of many)

Really dissect your effect. Is it what you really want to accomplish? Mainly look into the first and last questions above. These are what you REALLY want to be paying attention to.
Write down these questions. Answer them ON PAPER. You want to be able to see these questions and answers.
If you don’t think something in your performance is needed, or takes away from the magical ness, take it out. Get rid of it. You will not need it. Now, if you think something should be added. Write it down and try it. If it works, highlight it and add it into your performance. Cross out everything on paper you are getting rid of and highlight everything you are adding into the effect.
Try everything you are adding. You are going to want to see it. SO, when you add something, film it again. Make sure it looks good. If it does, great. If not, again, get rid of it.

Don’t be afraid to try something outrageous. It might just make the effect.

Thanks!

Keenan

Real magic is how you make it to be. It's all up to you, if you believe real magic can be done with a deck of cards, it's all up to you and the amount of time you're willing to put into the presentation and workings of the effect.

The magic you are creating isn't up to us to make real, it's up to you.

Mitchell

Aug 31, 2007
California
To add a bit more to this:

Houdini based his name off of Jean Robert Houdin. He was his idol. Houdini still did perform magic in his act, along with escapes and the debunking of "psychics."

If Houdini did perform magic throughout his career why was it not popular?

Well, he did not "mix" with magic. In his act he would rip off his sleeves and act like the "little tough guy" so he could pull off his escapes. Well, with this presentation it does not mix with magic. Even though he performed some miracles, such as walking through a brick wall, make gold coins appear in a chest, and turning women into orange trees. Amazing effects right? Not if Houdini was performing them.

His effects were called "typical" and "a bunch of junk".

Was it that he was just a terrible magician? Prossibly, yes, but it seems to me that his reputation was too large. People expected more from him than these small "tricks." Houdini was known for doing incredible escapes, not small magic tricks.

What does any of this have to do with this thread? Well, the story above tells you that you have to mix in with the magic you are performing. Everything has to go with the way, style, and type of magic you are performing. It would not look right if you walked onto stage, wearing dirty old clothes (unless it was part of your act/effect)

---

A young magician is walking down the street with some friends. He says he is going to do some magic and produces a turkey sandwich out of nowhere and hands it to his friends to eat.

Another young magician is walking down the street with some friends. His friend says he his hungry, so the magician makes a turkey sandwich appear from nowhere for his friend to eat.

Which is more magical? If you said number two, you are correct. It is very cool to make a sandwich appear, but it is magic when someone says they are hungry and then you make it appear.
Timing is another factor in magic. If you be patient with some of your effects and wait for that perfect moment to perform them, you can make it much more magical and will get better reactions.

---

Let's look at Houdinis Idol, Jean Robert Houdin.

He was an amazing Magician. That is what he was known for. He was not known for doing escapes and than performing magic, like Houdini. He knew what he was known for and performed those effects.

He could really create magic:

I remember watching David Copperfield do an effect where he borrowed one dollar. He visually changed the one dollar into a one hundred dollar bill. Amazing right? Not after he changed the one hundred back into a one to hand it back to the audience member.

That completely destroys the magic of the effect. Why would you change the one hundred back into a one? That just screams that it is just a trick and ruins the whole purpose.

Now, Houdin KNEW how to make the magic... He would make coins appear from nowhere and give them to the poor. He would make bread appear from nowhere and give it to the poor. He would make a basket of food come out of nowhere, on the streets, and give it to the poor.

That was magic.

Sorry to ramble,

Keenan

Aug 31, 2007
California
Real magic is how you make it to be. It's all up to you, if you believe real magic can be done with a deck of cards, it's all up to you and the amount of time you're willing to put into the presentation and workings of the effect.

The magic you are creating isn't up to us to make real, it's up to you.

Mitchell

Good point Mitch, don't look as this advice as a block that you have to follow. These are the things that work for ME and hopefully a few others.

Keenan

Interesting points Keenan, and I agree with many of them.

My view on real magic though, is that that should be our goal as magicians. To make, or give the illusion that our magic is in fact, real - and not just a bunch of sleight of hand tossed together like in a salad.

In order to give the feeling that what we are doing is real, and natural, we can of course adjust our performance, patter, etc. But my favorite thing to do, is to use a mirror. Go up to a tall mirror, and pretend as if you are performing the effect/routine of yours, but without the props, or gimmicks. I want you to do this, because it allows your mind to get a free sense without the props, of what the effect would look like, as if it were real. Then, once you've got the idea in your head, transmit it to your props. Handle the props in the way you imagine it to be natural looking, in the way that it looks, to be real.

Give it a try everyone, it's worked for me many times.

Nice post Keenan...or E thread.;)

Trevor

Sep 1, 2007
England
I definitly agree with trying to make magic look as real as possible,

However, I have also come to realise that not everything needs to make perfect sense. Lets face it, if you could do real magic, why would you be messing about with cards, why would you put balls underneath brass cups, why would you make money disappear! You just wouldn't would you? Does that however mean that there isn't a huge amount of entertainment value in these types of tricks? Does that mean you can't make lots of money performing this kind of stuff at parties and corporate events etc.? No!

People really don't care all that much it seems, they know (deep down) that what you are doing is just a trick. They just want to be entertained. Many people will wonder how you are doing what you are doing, but rarely will they question why.

Magic routines should look as magical as possible, but I don't think they always need to be completely justified.

Tom

Aug 31, 2007
California
I definitly agree with trying to make magic look as real as possible,

However, I have also come to realise that not everything needs to make perfect sense. Lets face it, if you could do real magic, why would you be messing about with cards, why would you put balls underneath brass cups, why would you make money disappear! You just wouldn't would you? Does that however mean that there isn't a huge amount of entertainment value in these types of tricks? Does that mean you can't make lots of money performing this kind of stuff at parties and corporate events etc.? No!

People really don't care all that much it seems, they know (deep down) that what you are doing is just a trick. They just want to be entertained. Many people will wonder how you are doing what you are doing, but rarely will they question why.

Magic routines should look as magical as possible, but I don't think they always need to be completely justified.

Tom

Exactly.

Which is why you see magicians, such as Cyril, doesn't just do these effects you see Blaine or such perform. Cyrils (as an example) magic is amazing. His effects arn't just card effects, etc. He uses objects and people to show, what looks like, real magic. But, this doesn't mean that card and such are bad to perform. It isn't.

Raise your hands if you know who a guy named Armando Lucero is.

If you raised your hand, you may have had the honor of seeing his magic. If you have, you most likely changed the way you looked at magic. This mans magic is true magic. Everything he does has reason. Everything he does, is magical. His movement, his patter, his everything is done with purpose.

Look him up if you can, you won't be dissapointed.

P.S.- Curtis, thanks for that. Very happy to see you here. Hope to speak with you soon! Thanks Trevor.

Keenan

Feb 8, 2009
perfect magic for me is every effect that can be performed naked and surrounded and doesnt require the spectator to touch anything and the spectator should have the ability to examine everything that you used in the effect before and after the effect.

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
perfect magic for me is every effect that can be performed naked and surrounded and doesnt require the spectator to touch anything and the spectator should have the ability to examine everything that you used in the effect before and after the effect.

So, a clever method.

Real magic is so simple it's complicated. It is simply 3 parts acting/performance/charasima/character/personality and 1 part technique/method/handeling.

Anyone can do a trick. But real magic is the art of entertainment. It's easy to teach the mechanics of a trick but it is very difficult to teach someone how to entertain.

Aug 31, 2007
California
Real magic is so simple it's complicated. It is simply 3 parts acting/performance/charasima/character/personality and 1 part technique/method/handeling.

Anyone can do a trick. But real magic is the art of entertainment. It's easy to teach the mechanics of a trick but it is very difficult to teach someone how to entertain.

Old thread, new views.

Entertainment. Magic. Where is the line for you guys? Are you just looking to entertain? Or are you looking to create a moment in time for your audience where they stop and think, "Is that real?" Or is it another moment where you bring them back to a happy memory, creating a moment special for them?

There are so many ways of what can be classified as "real" magic and whatnot. Or what is classified as real magic. I think the only people that can tell you if it is "real" or not is your audience. Was it real for them? Or was it just entertainment?

Hmm...

Keenan

Old thread, new views.

Entertainment. Magic. Where is the line for you guys? Are you just looking to entertain? Or are you looking to create a moment in time for your audience where they stop and think, "Is that real?" Or is it another moment where you bring them back to a happy memory, creating a moment special for them?

There are so many ways of what can be classified as "real" magic and whatnot. Or what is classified as real magic. I think the only people that can tell you if it is "real" or not is your audience. Was it real for them? Or was it just entertainment?

Hmm...

Keenan

Entertaining is creating a special moment in time where they create a happy memory and experience a special moment.

Anything else is just a puzzel or trick.

If you can't identify the elements that create "real" magic for yourself then you can't expect to consistantly create real magic for your audiences. In that condition, at best your chances for creating a truely memorable experience is 50/50. For a hobbiest, or amature those are pretty good odds. The working professional by deffenition shouldn't settle for anything less than 100%.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results