Revolution Cut Question

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I've been into cardistry for roughly 2 months now. It's odd but one of the most difficult moves for me is the Revolution Cut. I will try to explain this as best as I can, if nothing else I'll provide a video later on today to help with the results.

I started my cardistry with "The System" and struggled to grasp exactly where the ring finger was going during this cut. I still struggled with different positions until I got Dangerous. After watching that I starting dropping my ring finger below both packets and then twisting it around. That's what I thought Dm was doing but I'm not completely sure now.

I watched "The Trilogy" yesterday and watched the Flourish 101 section for the first time and saw the Revolution Cut there. They're actually pushing the bottom packet up with the ring finger and then twisting it around... so now I'm wondering if my method before hand is a mistake or can I perform it either way?

From what I can tell it seems that the method from DnD is a quicker revolution then what I thought I saw on Dangerous.

I'm just looking for some feedback on this, I know it may be hard to grasp without a video but I'm curious and can't provide one at the moment. I probably will later on today when I get home.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I don't know too much about the revolution cut, or cardistry for that matter, though I remember that on Lethal (DM's original DVD) Daniel teaches 'Dead Revolution' which I'm assuming is his variation on the revolution cut, which would make sense if they look different to you.

I'm sure one of the cardistry chaps can help you further, but there's nothing wrong with working on your own way of doing things - It can be a pain if it's part of a longer flourish, but play around man - What the cards do in your hands is all up to you :)

D.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
Yeah, I make variations to things. I also seem to hear that at times things are done a specific way for a reason. If they're two different revolution cuts then I'll learn them both and move forward. I just want to make sure they're not suppose to be the same one and I'm simply doing it incorrectly. Thanks D.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
By this point it's not a worry of whether I can do them. I feel I can do them pretty well as I spend a massive amount of my time practicing magic/cardistry. I'll go double check Lethal and see if it does in fact have a different type of Revolution Cut.

Jun 8, 2008
I learned mine from the 101 section off the trilogy. I do it the same way. Took me about a week to get it right, and now I can do it slow. Took a lot of practice for me.

Sep 2, 2007
I watched "The Trilogy" yesterday and watched the Flourish 101 section for the first time and saw the Revolution Cut there. They're actually pushing the bottom packet up with the ring finger and then twisting it around... so now I'm wondering if my method before hand is a mistake or can I perform it either way?

Nonono there just getting it out of the way. You don't push up the bottom packet,.. its not a charlier. Just:
1.Divide into two packets
2.Use your index and thumb to rotate the top packet about 40 Degrees.
3.After the packer is semi rotated put your middle finger on the inside edge and keep your other finger where they are.
4. Release with your thumb and rotate the packet be simply unwinding your fingers, this also lifts up the former bottom packet which is why your not supposed to in the beginning.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
Sorry, you didn't quite follow what I was saying. I see DnD push the bottom packet up slightly then grab the top packet with the ring finger & Index. Afterwards twisting it around.... That's what I was trying to say.

Sep 2, 2007
London
You're absolutely right FadedTemp. DnD perform the Revolution differently to Daniel Madison or Brian Tudor. I learned it from a Brian Tudor video, so I perform it in the same way as he and Daniel Madison do. I think it's beneficial to learn DnD's way though if you want to get maximum card movement for minimum hand movement, and get ultimate smoothness in your flourishes.

In the same way, when they start a "Sybil"-type cut, rather than making two movements (breaking into four packets, then rotating to grip the second packet with the left hand thumb and second finger), they do this all in one go.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
They use their middle finger to hold one of the packets instead of their ring finger as well. I've noticed the variations across different people. I simply wanted to make sure they either they're two different cuts or I am doing it incorrectly. Now that I know, I'll continue to practice both methods.

Sep 1, 2007
They use their middle finger to hold one of the packets instead of their ring finger as well. I've noticed the variations across different people. I simply wanted to make sure they either they're two different cuts or I am doing it incorrectly. Now that I know, I'll continue to practice both methods.

There is no real "incorrect" way to do any flourish, unless it looks like crap (for example an uneven spread or a cut with messy packets is probably not correct)

I believe DBsquared settled on their method because it allows for most fluid motion, so that's how I learned it.

and cardmagic, yes, the revolution IS basically just a charlier, with a spin of the top packet ;)

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
TRUST ME, lol, DnD's method is a LOT better, if you want to incorporate the OHR into madonnas and so on, it is a lot quicker to use their method and it loses the pause, you dont have to really push up on the packet so much with the ring finger, just keep it there until the top packet has been spun the first 80 or so degrees, then use it to finish, go to www.dananddave.com and search for the thread where dan gives tips on the subject, its an old but very useful thread...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results