Riddle of the Day :: Dividing the Deck Into Stacks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by j.bayme, Sep 22, 2010.

1. There will be a natural curve to the cards... Feel for the faceup ones... Easy...

2. that is granted that the cards where all shuffled face up, then the 10 cards were turned over and placed in the deck. and not shuffled very much. and if the deck is a new one.

3. Sounds right to me!

4. The obvious method is to hire Rick Smith Jr. to come out and start throwing cards at people. Then when everyone is distracted, david blaine goes back in time using his powers he learned in a mountain in Tibet. He looks at the order of the cards comes back and tells you how to do it.
    I'm suprised no one has thought of this, it's ingenius

5. split the deck in half and hope 5 are in one stack and 5 in the other

6. You do the Intense Chris Angel "im about to make something magical happen" face, wave your hands over the cards and make them turn into jelly beans. Problem solved

7. JB, You should have mentioned that this is a puzzle that needs some mathematical thinking. Calling it a riddle makes people think of "out of the box" solutions which can be interesting but are all wrong. I think Wildereachday is the only one who got it right.

8. See, I think the mathematical answer is the most...riddle-esque answer. The others all (or almost all) require knowing something, or require a certain level of skill, or something, whereas the mathematical answer could be worked out without any extra knowledge.

9. This.^^^^^^^^^^

10. I've noted that it hasn't been stated what the point of this riddle is...

11. See, you are never actually going to lock yourself in a dark room with a pack of cards mixed face up and face down and try this sort of thing. The whole idea of such puzzles is to give your brain something interesting and fun to do. Think of it as a thought experiment. Whatever other skill/extra knowledge you are referring to is moot. The mathematical solution is elegant, straightforward and doesn't require extra assumptions (like whether the cards are curved in a particular way).

12. That was my point. Most other answers require extra knowledge or assumptions, and therefore I think the maths way as the way to do it.

13. Try it for yourself, blindfold yourself and try different techniques and see what works

14. This is Derren Brown's brain child, yes?

J.

15. #35 tokyoUW, Sep 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2010
    Wildereachday got it right. If you haven't read his answer, go back and read it.

This is the premise to an amazing prediction/ mentalism trick that I do (taught to me by Mr. Chang). Very hard hitting.
    I will give you the effect, you guys try to work out the method =)

A deck is handed to a spectator and the spectator is asked to take out a handful of cards, any amount between maybe 15 and 20 cards (this is just an average amount). The rest of the deck is discarded and not looked at. The spectators pile of cards is shuffled and the spectator is asked to deal out a certain number of cards and give them to the magician to keep as his pile. Amazingly, the amount of red cards the magician holds is the exact same number of black cards that the spectator holds, matching the magician's prediction. The spectator is reminded that he did all of the shuffling and dealing, and that he chose the original pile of cards.

Great trick =)