Saturday Night Contest - A Simple Display of Skill

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
For centuries magicians have performed incredible demonstrations of skill or strength utilizing deception and trickery rather than genuine ability. We felt this concept could serve as inspiration for this week's Saturday Night Contest.

Your task tonight is to film any demonstration of skill or strength, original or otherwise, with the catch being that the feats must be accomplished using magic as opposed to actual technique. The goal is to produce a video that looks completely believable - not like magic. Some examples include bending a coin using only your hands, throwing a ring into the air and catching it on your index finger, tearing a full deck of playing cards in half, memorizing a shuffled deck, etc.

NOTE: The important thing to remember is that the display of skill should look like something that one has trained and practiced to accomplish. All submissions should be uploaded to YouTube, Vimeo, or Drop.io and posted as a response to this thread no later than 11:00pm EST for judging.

The winner tonight will receive a deck of White Centurions sent on the house and the feeling like a badass for winning tonight's contest. Good luck!

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
1 question,
Can we present an effect as if it is an ability of skill?

Thank you

That is exactly what we're looking for. It should LOOK like a display of skill, but in reality it should be a magic method. Taking the example of bending a coin, it LOOKS like you have super human strength and are literally bending the coin. In reality, deception is at work.

Jun 10, 2010
That is exactly what we're looking for. It should LOOK like a display of skill, but in reality it should be a magic method. Taking the example of bending a coin, it LOOKS like you have super human strength and are literally bending the coin. In reality, deception is at work.

Is it okay if our "method" is hidden behind the camera so it can't be seen?

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
So can it be like me juggling a soccer ball with my feet or that doesn't count?

If you have a magical method (invisible thread) at work in doing so, perhaps - what we're looking for it something that APPEARS to be a simple display of skill or strength, but in reality, you are using a secretive method. I cited the coin bend example previously, but you could also apparently show superhuman memorization ability with a shuffled deck. In reality, you would be using a stack - but to spectators, it would look like you're a mad genius. Anything of that nature would work. Make us THINK you have a special skill or acquired strength. In reality, cheat by way of magic.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com

Can using heat to mend cards together be utilized as a skill? Not a TNR, but for something else.

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
Sorry I'm just a little confused... So to clarify, it has to be a video of you doing something that, to the spectator, would be quite hard and very skillful, when in fact, you're doing it through sleight of hand or any other method than the way that the spectator thinks...

Am I right?

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Sorry I'm just a little confused... So to clarify, it has to be a video of you doing something that, to the spectator, would be quite hard and very skillful, when in fact, you're doing it through sleight of hand or any other method than the way that the spectator thinks...

Am I right?

You are 100% correct!

Jun 10, 2010
This sounds very interesting. If I can think of something I'll try to get something up :)

I would say no to revealing the method (unless you really want to), but J. Bayme's decision in the end.

Okay. I'm just unsure because this is the first time I've ever entered the SNC, so I'm not quite sure of little details like that.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results