Saturday Night Contest - Resolutions For 2010

Jun 14, 2009
2009:

2009 was a very eventful year in both my personal life and down my journey of cardistry. I’ve made all the typical strides in the past year: learned new sleights, flourishes, tricks, etc. But perhaps my biggest accomplishment was writing two sets of notes entitled: “Assembly 8” and “SICK SEVEN”. I remember having 13-14 hour days working tirelessly on these notes putting my heart and soul in both these notes.

The first set I wrote was “Assembly 8”. I was a set featuring my work in card productions. After countless drafts and revisions, I had finished them. I was so proud, I wanted to start selling them immediately. I talked with some people to help market and sell. I got so close to releasing them however, a virus attacked my computer forcing me to reformat. Having no back up, the notes were erased. I was devestated. All my hard work seemed to have gone down the drain.

Then, a few months later, I decided it was time to try again. This time, better. I re-wrote all the notes and added some new creations in. I called this set “SICK SEVEN”. But, this time, instead of trying to sell them immediately, I waited. I set those notes aside and focused on other matters. I’m not entirely sure why I did this. I just felt that I should wait before releasing the notes.

A few weeks later I came back to them and re-read what I had written. And, a strange and shocking reality hit me. It has hard to accept or even realize. They weren’t good… The moves turned out to be small variations on already published material.

I remembered a video I had watched a while ago. It was created by Lee Asher talking about how magic is a higher form of learning. He explains that when you publish new material, it has to be innovative and new. Only about half the items in my notes met those standards. As hard was it was to do, I swallowed my pride and never relased those notes. As hard as I had worked on them, the initial material wasn’t contributing a lot to the community. I realized that it was better off unrealised. I learned that as proud as I was with those notes, it comes down to the quality of the material. When someone releases something to the community, it has to be something that can propel the art forward. I learned that everyone, myself included, must follow this rule.

2010:

My main goal for 2010 is to accomplish that very goal. To release a creation of mine that can propel this art forward. I will make sure it is new, something no one’s thought of before, and something people will be able to use.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
I was always rushed with my projects. Always wanting to get them out there to sell them and make a name for myself. I couldn't take hard news. I couldn't realize the cold truth that would make me a better person.

That was about 2 weeks ago.

I had finished a PDF called Apparition, which was a haunted deck. I finished the 15 page or so document and was ready to sell it. I was marketing the video here through PMs - something I still do to test the waters - and someone recommended Dee Christopher. I PM'd him, and he astounded me by responding negatively. Said it was weak, obvious, and it would never pass.

A magician who's been performing for about 20 years told me, told me, that my effect was weak. So I tried to argue the point back. Needless to say, I eventually figured out he was right. I rushed everything. My cycle of thinking was: find something, put it on video and PDF, sell it. I sold nothing, and I'm glad I didn't. Dee said "Don't taint your name before you've made it", which is invaluable advice.

This year, I hope to plan, practice, make it stronger, and test it for real world audiences. And I learned what I've always known about magic but failed to recognize - it's not about money or fame. It's about the spectator's amazement. And they can't explain it, nor do they want to. They want to experience that childlike innocence, the wonder and amazement they experienced as a child, new to the world.

My job is to create that moment, be the wizard responsible for a small iota of wonder in their lives. People are attracted to the mystique around magic, the enigma, if you will, that is unexplainable.

I've learned to be honest with myself, and not fool myself, but rather fool others through magic. It's been a rough year - but I like to think I came out of it better. I still have more to experience, but that's all part of growing.

In "Night at the Museum", the son tells the father that maybe he's not destined for a big plan but just an ordinary guy. And on his journey accepting that, he lands into a greater fate.

I like to think that is the true essence to greatness. By all means, you could totally hoodwink a stranger and then turn your back on magic. But doing that again for people you don't know brings that bond of humanity that is the antithesis of wars and bloodshed. Magic's ultimate goal is to make everyone equal, whether you realize it or not.

I digress again, but I do not at the same time. I am going to be a better magician. Who cares if I sell the next color change? I'll grow and find mistakes - but that's the whole point. You have to make the best out of the worst.

Phew. 493 words.

Ian

Apr 8, 2009
I have been practicing (if you dare call it that) magic since late 2008. I honestly cannot remember why I started, but that's not important the only thing that really matters is that I did start. I began down the path that every newbie in magic stumbles into. I tried to find refuge on Youtube searching for the tutorials that they were oh so famous for. When I finally releazied that a majority of this tutorials were utter garbage I left in the hopes to find a new place that would feed my magic cravings. And I did.

Through Google I was able to find what I thought was the daimond in the ruft of all the other countless magic websites. I was greeted by overly welcoming arms, and the promises that I could do anything. What I had found was Ellusionist. I felt like a kid in a candy store. Soon I began to write down every trick, every gimmick, every dvd, every deck, in the hopes that my mom would take the hint and that these miracles would find their way to beneath my tree. My mom not wanting to disappoint the hopes of what was still a child needlessly bought a majority of the items that I requested.

On X-mas day I opened my bountiful gifts and was oh so pleased to see what I had discovered. For the next week I trapped myself in my room and watched every single dvd and did what I thought was practicing. I then went downstairs and "performed" for my mother and asked for he opinions on the tricks. She told me they were superb no doubt in the hopes that I would just practice more and get better.

I was now confident and eager to show my unsuspecting classmates. And when I did I crashed and burned. I was greeted by their harsh unforgiving words, words that I couldn't accept. I thought I had just slipped that it was an off day so i continued absently learning tricks praciticing them for a few hours and the "performing". However when I saw that I wasn't getting any better I realized something... they were right. And then I ran into a slump.

I was miserable and I didn't know were to turn all the while I just needed to perfect my execution and performence of the great effects I already knew. Theory11 brought me this realization and I beutifully wrapped package. Through the posts of YOU the furom members I learned the importance of practice and presentation. Since finding this site in April of 2009 I can honestly say I have gotten better.

All and all I wasted a majority of 2009 but I learned what I needed to do to get better so my only new years resolution is to continue using my newfound knowledge thank you for all your help in the past months you made this one hell of a year

Jan 13, 2008
And time is up!

I hope you enjoy reading through all of the replies, like I have. :)

...and I predict that the thread will now become barren, until the time the winner is announced. ;)

Ola

Jul 10, 2009
Lillestrøm, Oslo, Norway
2009 was the year I started magic.

And a great year it has become bacause of it.
I have learned how to entertain people, and I have learned how to adress crowds!
I have met strangers in restaurants who've seen me do magic, and now they've become close friends of mine!
I've been invited backstage to conserts to perform for musical artists, I've entertained groups of people for hours, performing just a handful of tricks, entertaining with only patter for as long as up to twenty minutes!
I've had people throw money at me in a bar, I've made them scream, I've made them silent, and I've made people laugh!

I can amuze people. Amaze people.
I wouldn't believe it if you told me this in 2008; but magic has actually changed my life for the better.

2009 - what a great year.
I can only imagine what will come of 2010.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
2009 was the year I started magic.

And a great year it has become bacause of it.
I have learned how to entertain people, and I have learned how to adress crowds!
I have met strangers in restaurants who've seen me do magic, and now they've become close friends of mine!
I've been invited backstage to conserts to perform for musical artists, I've entertained groups of people for hours, performing just a handful of tricks, entertaining with only patter for as long as up to twenty minutes!
I've had people throw money at me in a bar, I've made them scream, I've made them silent, and I've made people laugh!

I can amuze people. Amaze people.
I wouldn't believe it if you told me this in 2008; but magic has actually changed my life for the better.

2009 - what a great year.
I can only imagine what will come of 2010.

You are 2 minutes late man, sorry to say.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
And time is up!

I hope you enjoy reading through all of the replies, like I have. :)

...and I predict that the thread will now become barren, until the time the winner is announced. ;)

Wrong my friend! I will start as of right now posting senseless crap! Just kidding, however I will be lurking throughout all of the pages reading everybody elses just for fun. Good luck to everybody!!

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Amazing entries tonight, guys! First and foremost, huge thanks to all who participated. A few of you made this a tough one to judge - notably cm763, Inferno Kaiser, vintageiLLusion, VagueTheory, and DannyT (among many others). Special thanks to you guys for your thoughts!

Without further ado - and after much review - our winner tonight is JPMagic for his post HERE. Extremely inspiring! Check your PM's in the next 24 hours for info on how to redeem your prize.

Thanks again to all who participated. Here's to accomplishing all of your goals in 2010... cheers! :cool:

Jan 13, 2008
Amazing entries tonight, guys! First and foremost, huge thanks to all who participated. A few of you made this a tough one to judge - notably cm763, Inferno Kaiser, vintageiLLusion, VagueTheory, and DannyT (among many others). Special thanks to you guys for your thoughts!

Without further ado - and after much review - our winner tonight is JPMagic for his post HERE. Extremely inspiring! Check your PM's in the next 24 hours for info on how to redeem your prize.

Thanks again to all who participated. Here's to accomplishing all of your goals in 2010... cheers! :cool:
Congrats JPMagic! =)

Jan 2, 2010
2010 here i come

Well I have to say 2009 felt like two seconds it comes and goes! But there are a few things that have impacted me during the year 2009. I made up several effects, I met several magicians and I had alot of fun performing shows for young and old, but what did I like the most? The thing that I like the most is seeing people happy nothing makes my day than making someone happy (I’m a person that likes to give). I was sitting down at a restaurant (Tim Horton’s) playing with some cards and a guy by the name “Brian Durkin” asks me if I know how to do magic tricks and I tell him yes and I proceed to show him a trick at the end of the trick Brian thanks me and tells me that he had not had the feeling of being a child for so long thus I made him very happy , I love to see people happy ! During 2009 I had ups and downs (mostly ups lol J).I have met many magician, I created many effects that I kept to myself, and I have been performing the art for 7 years, I am proud of all that but I do have some goals for 2010,one of my goals is to be more social ( maybe that will make me more known to the world). My main goal for 2010 is to get my name out there I want to be famous I want my 7 years of experience to pay off and be world famous it is my dream and that dream will happen one day. People call magic a hobby and they are 99% right but the other 1% is not right because magic is literately my life and I intend it to be that way ,2010 here I come .

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
Well I have to say 2009 felt like two seconds it comes and goes! But there are a few things that have impacted me during the year 2009. I made up several effects, I met several magicians and I had alot of fun performing shows for young and old, but what did I like the most? The thing that I like the most is seeing people happy nothing makes my day than making someone happy (I’m a person that likes to give). I was sitting down at a restaurant (Tim Horton’s) playing with some cards and a guy by the name “Brian Durkin” asks me if I know how to do magic tricks and I tell him yes and I proceed to show him a trick at the end of the trick Brian thanks me and tells me that he had not had the feeling of being a child for so long thus I made him very happy , I love to see people happy ! During 2009 I had ups and downs (mostly ups lol J).I have met many magician, I created many effects that I kept to myself, and I have been performing the art for 7 years, I am proud of all that but I do have some goals for 2010,one of my goals is to be more social ( maybe that will make me more known to the world). My main goal for 2010 is to get my name out there I want to be famous I want my 7 years of experience to pay off and be world famous it is my dream and that dream will happen one day. People call magic a hobby and they are 99% right but the other 1% is not right because magic is literately my life and I intend it to be that way ,2010 here I come .

Sorry dude they already announced the winner, AND CONGRATS JPMAGIC

Jan 10, 2008
My submission

Well, as far as 2009 went, I finally created something. It's just another variation of the Classic Four Ace Problem, but dammit it's mine... I was pretty proud of that. I have also learned the importance of putting more focus on the presentation of the trick then the trick itself and my audience management improved greatly.
As far as my new year's resolution goes, it would have to be participating in one of Theory 11's Saturday Night Contests... :D This is a first for me guys, be gentle.

Well this year i was able to get a job at a resturaunt that really helped me grow magically
this year i want to get another job and grow more with the experience i get!
i also want to work on something other than cards. maybe start to experiement with some old classics. because i belive classics are the tricks that made way for what we have today. i can learn to not think in the box, but think outside the box.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results