Self Destructing in Slow Motion

Tonight was just one of those nights... The kids were hecklers, the audiences weren't into it, and even I felt like I was having an identity crisis behind the scenes.

I know I'm good. I know I can hold a crowed. I know I can entertain but there are just those times where you don't feel like you can live up to your own expectations. Ever get that way? Ever look at your act in the mirror and say to your self "really?"

What do you do to come out of it?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Ever look at your act in the mirror and say to your self "really?"

Every time. I'm incredibly self-critical.

What do you do to come out of it?

I remember a quote regarding Annemann. I can't recall the exact wording, but it was along the lines of, "Given the right combination of pressure and gin, he could indeed give the impression of supernatural powers."

Pour yourself a drink, take a deep breath and relax for the night. Tomorrow's a new day, and there's work to do.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
We ALL have sucky shows. . . it may be from burn out, not being able to deal well with the audience type & attitudes, or simply not feeling "all together" but it happens and frequently feels like dominoes; one thing goes wrong and then it all slowly cascades.

Don't beat yourself up over it and don't let it win.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I've been there William. I know it makes you feel like crap and Craig is right too...sometimes things snow ball in the same show / performance. Maybe you forget a prop, then the venue seating is off, then you flub up a trick or your lines aren't getting the laughs that they normally do. Luckily I have always been able to rebound in the next show and refocus and JUST HAVE FUN.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Oh man I hate these performances. even when I do my best material it seems to fall flat for some people. I can totally relate to the feeling, sometimes it feels like you could easily apear on Ellen or David Letterman and other times you wonder what makes you any better than your 7 year old cousin that you teach tricks here and there.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
All the time when this happens (which is not often, but it does happen), my next show is the best one I ever had. It's like karma or something. If the show sucks, the next one is going to be a killer.

Aug 17, 2010
It happens. Don't let one bad day ruin it. Go out tomorrow and crush it.

If it weren't for the valleys, we wouldn't recognize the peaks.

Your next crowd won't care and won't know how you were yesterday. Go entertain the crap out of 'em today.

May 12, 2012
If it weren't for the valleys, we wouldn't recognize the peaks.

^This^. Unfortunately this happens sometimes and it seems like everything is against you. Don't let it ruin your performances, though - make the next show the best show you have ever done.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results