Selling Yourself, NOT Your Pass...

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
The more conventions I attend, the more magicians I meet, it seems that more times than not, everyone I come in contact with is more worried about how invisible their Pass is. But honestly, how much of that do we really need? What about the ones who make a living performing magic. Do you think all they read are books on magic and study "move monkey" sleights all day long?

Don't get me wrong, as I totally understand this logic of thinking, being a "move monkey" myself, but I also am always searching for different ways to better myself as a performer. So within this writing, I am not going to talk about fancy sleights or talk about the latest instant download. I will instead be talking about "selling yourself". So, with that said, I hope this short essay will reach out to everyone who reads this. And by reading it, I mean hopefully take away some of the advice I have written out for everyone to digest. And if nothing else, maybe find a useful tip or three...

SELLING YOURSELF

It has been said before that when someone first meets you, no matter what the circumstances are, they are already "pre-judging" you within the first 10 seconds. From the way you dress, to the way your hair looks, to the way you introduce yourself, people are always making mental notes about you. The same holds true for the clients/spectators that are watching our magic. First impressions ARE everything, and if you haven't "sold yourself" within the first 10 seconds of your initial meeting, chances are they probably won't care about the magic you have to offer them. While there are books out there that are specifically made for magicians about entertaining/entertainment, one should also not limit themselves to only looking at magic websites or brick and mortar shops for these sorts of lessons. As a magician(s), we are nothing more than salesmen and women. Our job is to put on a show for the ones who choose to watch us. But if they don't like YOU as a person, they probably will not like you as a performer either. I am offering three suggestions on ways to improve yourself as a salesman; not limiting oneself to magic books alone, I have suggested a couple of books from my own personal collection that have nothing to do with magic and one book that does.

Author Joe Girard offers some GREAT books about selling yourself. Here is one of my absolute favorites:

How to Sell Anything to Anybody ....Link: http://www.amazon.com/How-Sell-Anything-Anybody-Girard/dp/0743273966/ref=pd_sim_b_1

The second non-magic-related book I suggest taking a look at is from author Arch Lustberg:

How to Sell Yourself: Winning Techniques for Selling Yourself, Your Ideas...Your Message ....Link: http://www.amazon.com/How-Sell-Yourself-Techniques-Ideas-Your/dp/1564145859

These are two of my favorite non-magic-related books that have helped me develop as a magician over the years.

The other book that I recommend to every performer out there is Maximum Entertainment, by Ken Weber. This book is absolutely kickass and is must read for anyone looking for applause.

Maximum Entertainment
....Link: http://dennymagic.com/products/collectibles-historical/maximum-entertainment-by-ken-weber-book/

I hope this short writing has found a place in your mind, and you will take it, digest it, throw it up, put it in a blender, and drink it all up again...

Until next time...

Mike Hankins

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I could not agree more, sales technequies are more important to me than anything else. Not just when approaching people to perform for but more so in the booking aspect. Very few people want to hire a magician straight up, and if they do they don't know why I charge more than the next guy. My only thing I would like to add if possible go to a few sales courses and do the role play pitching products.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results