Spooky Illusion

On Wednesday I am meeting With The Milwaukee Chapter of the Socitey of American magicians (SAM) I plan on just introducing myself and seeing how things go, and decide if i want to join or not. however next month, I will be asked to Preform and Illusion, and since it it Halloween, There is a spooky theme. Does anyone have Any Suggestions?

here is a part of the email I received.

"....our next meeting, october 21, 2009 will be back at dicken's pub. We meet at 7:00 p.m. in the basement. Local assembly dues are under $20.00 (I've got to confirm this with the treasurer). Bring a trick to perform. Theme is scary/spooky/halloween magic, but you are not limited to that...."

Any help or suggestions will be great.

Jul 13, 2009
What do you feel more comfortable performing with?
Big props, props in general, cards, coins it will be easier for people to help you to know your comfort level.

I am more then happy to share some of the halloweeny themed magic just don't want to say spirit cabinet when you like cards.

Oct 11, 2007
If you can do mentalism I would strongly suggest looking and some of Luke Jermay's material!!! It is all pretty spooky and mind-blowing.

-emagician

Jul 13, 2009
Well I guess I will just throw stuff at you then,

I suggest:

Haunted magick Rick Maue
Hauntiques
Docc Hilford material
(Particularly Band of Hands, 1000 dollar Seance, Burn witch Burn)
13 steps
Keller rope tie with a day light seance presentation
A daylight seance (third hand gimmick)
Spirit slates
Rope through Body (Your a ghost is the implication)

I hope these help a little.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I don't really do "spooky" magic, but I would assume that it would depend heavily on the patter. Find a good "true" ghost story and use that to base your script from. The more popular the story the better.

Make sure you the story is short enough that it is not boring, and keep it exciting.

j

If you can do mentalism I would strongly suggest looking and some of Luke Jermay's material!!! It is all pretty spooky and mind-blowing.

-emagician

I was considering doing Luke jermay's EI but giving it more of a spooky patter. I do a little mentalism, but I would not consider my self a true mentalist. I prefer cards and coins. Dont do any Rope magic. I thought about Saw, and thread, but still not sure.

Jul 13, 2009
Hmm close-up,

you could do paperclip through arm for a shock effect. Maybe Jim pace's spider trick thing, if you are looking for a trick with a story may I suggest Nosferatu card by Tony Chris?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_BPHnty8xo

Also on the line of shocking you could do the razor blade illusion with a lot of blood.

Hmm close-up,

you could do paperclip through arm for a shock effect. Maybe Jim pace's spider trick thing, if you are looking for a trick with a story may I suggest Nosferatu card by Tony Chris?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_BPHnty8xo

Also on the line of shocking you could do the razor blade illusion with a lot of blood.

Nosferatu Card, is like i trick i use with a toy gun and a gimmick card...just a different presentation. i have thought about a few different effects, and wanted to know if anyone knew anything about them.

Séance with Dixie Dooley
brain damage by Andrew Mayne
cookie cutter-T11 Dan Sperry

Jul 13, 2009
I have had all those effects/dvds at one point in my wacky life:

Seance Dixie Dooley
Has a wide variety of effects like the glorpy a day light seance and a spirit rope tie. It is a very good dvd to get some ideas on different seance effects. the only thing is other then the props he teaches you how to make, you have to buy separately.

Brain damage Andrew Mayne
Very easy to make and set up, angles are great for stage and maybe parlor with this pain box illusion. It is also relatively cheap to make, just need a 12x12x12 inch box five umbrellas and your good to go.

Cookie Cutter Dan Sperry
Good for close up and very easy to perform. its relatively safe for a Russian roulette effect so I give it a thumbs up for a hard hitting effect if presented properly.

On Wednesday I am meeting With The Milwaukee Chapter of the Socitey of American magicians (SAM) I plan on just introducing myself and seeing how things go, and decide if i want to join or not. however next month, I will be asked to Preform and Illusion, and since it it Halloween, There is a spooky theme. Does anyone have Any Suggestions?

here is a part of the email I received.

"....our next meeting, october 21, 2009 will be back at dicken's pub. We meet at 7:00 p.m. in the basement. Local assembly dues are under $20.00 (I've got to confirm this with the treasurer). Bring a trick to perform. Theme is scary/spooky/halloween magic, but you are not limited to that...."

Any help or suggestions will be great.
you should really talk to andrew mayne.....

Since this isn't my original I have no problem sharing with you,

Get a double faced card. Dip your fingers in stage blood and smear them across the face of one of the sides. This becomes your force card.

Go to a magic shop and purchase one of those photo frames that makes a playing card dissapear from the frame. Replace the card with a picture of Lizzy Borden.

If you don't know who Lizzy Borden is: Google her. Do research. Knowledge of her petracide is imparative to the performance of this trick.

Ask your audience if you can "axe them a question." Laugh at your own joke as you begin to tell the tale of Lizzy Borden and how she gave her parents several wacks with an axe.

Explain that she was never convicted, and died lonley and destitute. Explain how you'll use her ghost to help you find a card to be selected.

Spread the deck of cards to show it normal. Force the card, and place the cards back in the box. When you take the card back palm it off and ditch it.

Ask lizzy to find the card selected.

Set off the photo frame gimick to make her photo vanish. Lizzy has now found the card. Open the box and spread through the card backs.

Since it's a double facer one card will be reversed (the double) pull it out and show that it has bloody fingerprints on it. turn the deck over, and show that it's the only card of it's kind in the deck.

End routine.

Since this isn't my original I have no problem sharing with you,

Get a double faced card. Dip your fingers in stage blood and smear them across the face of one of the sides. This becomes your force card.

Go to a magic shop and purchase one of those photo frames that makes a playing card dissapear from the frame. Replace the card with a picture of Lizzy Borden.

If you don't know who Lizzy Borden is: Google her. Do research. Knowledge of her petracide is imparative to the performance of this trick.

Ask your audience if you can "axe them a question." Laugh at your own joke as you begin to tell the tale of Lizzy Borden and how she gave her parents several wacks with an axe.

Explain that she was never convicted, and died lonley and destitute. Explain how you'll use her ghost to help you find a card to be selected.

Spread the deck of cards to show it normal. Force the card, and place the cards back in the box. When you take the card back palm it off and ditch it.

Ask lizzy to find the card selected.

Set off the photo frame gimick to make her photo vanish. Lizzy has now found the card. Open the box and spread through the card backs.

Since it's a double facer one card will be reversed (the double) pull it out and show that it has bloody fingerprints on it. turn the deck over, and show that it's the only card of it's kind in the deck.

End routine.
sweet idea......i wanna do that myself...

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Here's one. I am not sure if it is Mayne's or not. I've seen it done before.

Introduce a cooler with a sign on it that says PREDICTION.

Have a deck of blank face cards but on the faces you have body parts listed:
arm, leg, ear, stomach, brain, etc.

Force the brain card on the spec. Inside you reveal a live brain on ice.

You can pick up a brain at any Halloween Costume shop. Cover it in stage blood and lube it with some vaseline. Let me tell you...I've seen this done and people freak. Ha Ha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one. I am not sure if it is Mayne's or not. I've seen it done before.

Introduce a cooler with a sign on it that says PREDICTION.

Have a deck of black face cards but on the faces you have body parts listed:
arm, leg, ear, stomach, brain, etc.

Force the brain card on the spec. Inside you reveal a live brain on ice.

You can pick up a brain at any Halloween Costume shop. Cover it in stage blood and lube it with some vaseline. Let me tell you...I've seen this done and people freak. Ha Ha.

That actually Sounds Interesting....However i will be preforming for magicians...

Lets say i do that effect, How can I add a little twist to it...
Suggestions anyone?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Oh...my bad. I don't know how magicians would react to it. It doesn't show off much skill but it is very entertaining. Most laymen love it and freak out especially if you have a girl come up and open the lid to the cooler.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results