Suggestion

Apr 14, 2013
England
Hey! Are there any good books on the area of suggestion? I googled "magician book on suggestion" but it only came up with suggestions for magic books. *groan*

Sep 1, 2007
Before I answer that, I need to know what exactly you're trying to accomplish. There's a lot of misinformation out there on the power of suggestion and a lot of people out there are somehow convinced that learning psychology is going to turn them into a pulp comic's idea of a hypnotist.

Apr 14, 2013
England
I'm not sure to he honest. I don't really know what it is and just want to learn a little bit more about it :L I mean I know what it IS, in the sense that its suggesting one choice over another, but is it just an application of priming? Or is it a form of subliminal messaging? (Psychology student...)

Sep 1, 2007
Any recommendation would be pointless then if you don't know what you're trying to do. A better option would be to turn your own studies toward the psychology of persuasion. Cialdini's "Influence" is one of my favorites.

Dec 29, 2011
Derren Brown's work has a lot of focus on suggestion, particularly in the context of magic mentalism and just regular magic. By the sound of what you're after, definitely read his books and/or watch the devil's picturebook, though it is difficult stuff, difficult to implement and wont always work it can be valuable to try.

Nov 8, 2007
I highly recommend Luke Jermay's book Building Blocks whether you're looking to add some suggestion in to your magic effects, or if you're interested in magic effects based on suggestion. Top notch book that focuses on the topic from both angles.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results