Tally-Ho's finish durability?

May 2, 2010
New York, New York
@JB(or anyone else who can shed some light on this) Somewhat off topic here but you may have more insight into this than I.

Arrco recently stopped being printed and there has been a lot of buzz about this. I have yet to get concerned about this because A: there is a heavy supply right now and B: there is nothing(that I know of) to prevent USPCC from printing another run if supplies get short.

So my big question to you relates to B. Is my assumption there correct? If supplies of Arrcos start to run short will USPCC be able to simply make another run? or do Arrcos have something in their processing that was lost when the old press was tossed?

Yea I have heard the same thing. Its my understanding that Arrcos are being discontinued and wont be printed again as well as other brands such as steamboats, ramblers and others that I cant remember right now. USPCC is cutting certain lines that they print that dont do as well on the market as a way to cut cost.

How truthful is this im not sure. There was also big buzz that Tallys were going to be discontiuned, then it switched to only circle backs, the back to that they are not.

I assume arrcos are great to create that type of buzz. I will have to admit I have never handle them.

Feb 4, 2008
It's actually the rumors of the impending doom of the Tally Ho which prompted my thinking on this. My guess tells me that some guy, lets call him Magic Bob, calls up the factory and asks shift manager Joe Jabip if they are still printing Tally Hos, Joe looks out onto the factory floor and says "No."

Bob rushes to his computer and tells everyone at the Magic Rumor Mill...errr...I mean Cafe' that Tally hos are no longer being printed. This filters throughout the Internet like a wild fire causing a run on Tally Hos in the market. Then the major distributors call up USPCC and say, "Hey we are out of Tally Hos!"

Joe gets a call from the main office, "Joe gear up the floor we are going to make another run of Tallys!"

"Yes Boss," says Joe.
Then a month later another Tally enthusiast, lets call him Alan Kazam, calls the factory and askes to confirm if Tallys have been discontinues.

Joe looks at the factory floor, "No we are printing them right now...but not the circle backs." (they are uglier than the Fan Backs so there was never a run on them in the first place.)

Okay so my long tall tale is only to illustrate a point. Arrcos have the same dimpling pattern that most other cambric finish USPCC cards...so is their anything that would prevent USPCC from just making another run? The only thing I could think of would be the final varnish, the "plastic coating." Perhaps the new factory isn't set up to handle that type of varnish?

May 2, 2010
New York, New York
It's actually the rumors of the impending doom of the Tally Ho which prompted my thinking on this. My guess tells me that some guy, lets call him Magic Bob, calls up the factory and asks shift manager Joe Jabip if they are still printing Tally Hos, Joe looks out onto the factory floor and says "No."

Bob rushes to his computer and tells everyone at the Magic Rumor Mill...errr...I mean Cafe' that Tally hos are no longer being printed. This filters throughout the Internet like a wild fire causing a run on Tally Hos in the market. Then the major distributors call up USPCC and say, "Hey we are out of Tally Hos!"

Joe gets a call from the main office, "Joe gear up the floor we are going to make another run of Tallys!"

"Yes Boss," says Joe.
Then a month later another Tally enthusiast, lets call him Alan Kazam, calls the factory and askes to confirm if Tallys have been discontinues.

Joe looks at the factory floor, "No we are printing them right now...but not the circle backs." (they are uglier than the Fan Backs so there was never a run on them in the first place.)

Okay so my long tall tale is only to illustrate a point. Arrcos have the same dimpling pattern that most other cambric finish USPCC cards...so is their anything that would prevent USPCC from just making another run? The only thing I could think of would be the final varnish, the "plastic coating." Perhaps the new factory isn't set up to handle that type of varnish?

Actually your point is well illustrated. And the rumors I read about at the cafe. Its a possibility that the new factory isnt set up for it but I def wouldnt know.

My guess we wouldnt find out until it happens or someone could give us a definitive answer

Feb 4, 2008
Actually your point is well illustrated. And the rumors I read about at the cafe. Its a possibility that the new factory isnt set up for it but I def wouldnt know.

My guess we wouldnt find out until it happens or someone could give us a definitive answer
I think you are right. I think the only way to know for sure is if the prices start to rise sharply. I know the Steamboats are selling fo $10.00 a deck or are out of stock at most places. Good indicator that they are gone for good. Kardwell still sells Arrcos for the same price they always have so they are obviously not in short supply yet.

Jun 10, 2010
Just to add one more note here - ALL standard Bicycle and Tally cards being printed now for retail are using black seals (and have for the past 8 months). So seal color should NOT be used as an indicator of quality or which run a deck was printed in.

There IS an indicator, however - on the Ace of Spades. There should be a code on that card that can be used to identify which run and press the deck was printed on. If you do receive a deck from us that is not of acceptable quality, please contact us and let us know - we will do whatever we can to make things right.

After like 2 seconds of searching, I found the code on the AOS. But JB, where do I enter this code in to see where it was made? I'm now assuming all the tally-hos I own at the moment are from the KY facility as I bought them a few weeks ago off of T11, but I want to enter them in to see (curiousity).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results