The Hook

As I sit here on my computer trolling the forums occasionally looking for a thread to respond to, sitting on my desk across the room from me is my top hat. There's nothing unusual about it really. It's a standard run of the mill felt top hat, with black ribbon. Nothing unusual except for the slight modification I made to it to incorporate a silver skull and cross bones centered in the front. This top hat has become the center piece of my performance costume, and the inspiration that governed the assembly of my characters "look".

Why do I bring this up you ask? That's a good question. There's no way you would have even known that I'm looking at that hat unless I made mention of it. Furthermore why should you even care? It's just a hat after all. ...or is it? Could it be that it is something more? I don't mean to allude that it's magical in any sense. That would just be silly, but the spell that it does cast on people is something that shouldn't be ignored. If anything, it should be studied, understood, and then re focused to be harnessed into a formidable weapon capable of drawing in mass attention. You see, that hat alone has gotten more complements and started more conversations with people that I probably wouldn't have interacted with on my own. My point is: That hat is a hook.

I'm not certain if a hook is an industry term already or not. I don't know if psychologists all sit around in their offices reviewing case study notes and refer to my observation in the same way I do. However, at this point I am willing to commit to hook as being my term, and perhaps I may even be lucky enough to coin a phrase. With that bit of disclaimer out of the way let me get down to the point. Everyone who entertains should have a hook. But what is it? A hook is a tool, or device you can use to spark conversation with others and provide a natural, interesting, and easy segway into what you do as an entertainer. It can be a hat, a cane, a pair of glasses, a unique looking deck of playing cards, a coat, shoes, it can be anything that sparks an interest in you, and encourages a conversation to start. It can be something rare, unusual, unique, or foreign. It can be something colorful, something exotic, or out of the ordinary. To be effective though, it should be something that stands out or is out of place. Such as shuffling a deck of Ghost playing cards while in line at Disneyland. The Ghost deck isn't what people normally expect to see in a deck of cards so it becomes a hook into conversation. "Hey man, cool cards. Where did you get those?" A hook really is up to your imagination and character. What ever works for you. It's something you'll have to play with to nail down the specifics, but once you've got it it's something that you'll love using!

I've heard it many times, and I never get tired of getting complements on my hat. People will say to me: "Hey man, that's a nice hat! Where did you get it?" To which I reply that I had it made for my show... and BAM! Now I've got their interest. They will want to know more, and the only natural progression in conversation leaves them to ask 'what show' to which I answer I'm a magician. I've now opened the doors to perform some magic, entertain, gather information, and possibly scout out my mark to see if there's an interest in booking my talent for a future gig.

There's a difference between you going up to someone, meeting them, and then trying to impress upon them who you are, and why you are interesting, and someone coming up to you because they think you are interesting! If your the one starting the conversation It's an uphill fight sometimes. Especially if you are trying to warm them up to the idea of working with you. You may not be exactly what they are looking for (to tall, to thin, to fat, to young, to old, etc) so they have you half tuned out the moment you said hello. However, if you use a hook properly now you're the one they are interested in talking with. They want to feel you out which makes your job of impressing them all that much more simple. Actually, you've already finished the job, the only thing left for you to do is reel them in!

It's something to consider. So I ask you, what's your hook?

Last edited by a moderator:

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
mmm...this is an interest topic...

well...I been thinking about this sometime now, and I realize that usually my hook when I approach an audience or a table I just do a very big card spring and they are usually hooked...

but I wanted to change that from some time now...I would like to make me a temporary tatoo in my arm...a very big one and that usually brings attention very quickly, but I realize the other complications, maybe I will drag attention but not the way I would like...

I am struggling to what could be my hook...could be some wristbands, a nice coat, a hat, an accesory...one time I got my dog wear a backpack and that usually drag attention in a very funny way since the dog carried my cards and some props (and his cookies), but what I believe is that must be something I can wear everyday since people recognize me in the street sometimes and I would like to have something to hook people...even more

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
GREAT post William. Really, good read and very interesting thought.

My hook? Hmmm, not sure. The only thing I can think of is the way I dress. I'm very much into clothes and style, so I march to my own drummer when it comes to that.:D I love hats, shoes, bracelets, rings, basically everything. But besides clothes, I can't really think of another "hook" that I have.

Anyway, thanks for posting that, as I've never really thought about it before.

PS: (good to see all these posts you've been coming out with)

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
Very nice topic,

Actually on a side note The Hook is a term I think used by Con artists (I watch The Real Hustle too much) as it is something that gains attention and gets interest of the Mark.

I sometimes wear a green plastic hat like those often worn by gamblers which gains interest and fits what I am doing (Gambling routine/demonstration).
Or I may throw a boomerang card around or close to the audience in a street situation.

I do not have a permanent hook, and I want to change that, I also want to be original and logical.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
wow. this is great. i was just thinking about this kind of thing and i even messed around with it this morning at a jazz festival.

what i did was i just "posted up" on a wall with my stealth pen already "through" my dollar bill just twirling it, hoping somebody would take a second glance at hole in my dollar bill. only one person did, i was a tad disappointed. it wasnt a large event but still, i had hoped for a better response.

i always thought that very visual opening effects that dont neccessarily have to be directed at the "target". could act as a hook. Ex: you can tell they're watching you fiddle with a pack of cards. so you do a color change, and if they gasp or give some kind of mini-reaction you look up, smile and gesture for them to come closer, then you go into some harder stuff.

if i'm off mark here let me know.

Web

wow. this is great. i was just thinking about this kind of thing and i even messed around with it this morning at a jazz festival.

what i did was i just "posted up" on a wall with my stealth pen already "through" my dollar bill just twirling it, hoping somebody would take a second glance at hole in my dollar bill. only one person did, i was a tad disappointed. it wasnt a large event but still, i had hoped for a better response.

i always thought that very visual opening effects that dont neccessarily have to be directed at the "target". could act as a hook. Ex: you can tell they're watching you fiddle with a pack of cards. so you do a color change, and if they gasp or give some kind of mini-reaction you look up, smile and gesture for them to come closer, then you go into some harder stuff.

if i'm off mark here let me know.

Web

No web you're dead on the mark. Thats exactly what i'm talking about. Something that makes them take interest in you.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
No web you're dead on the mark. Thats exactly what i'm talking about. Something that makes them take interest in you.

awesome. thanks. i've played around with that kind of thing alot. I even tried having a friend to give a false massive reaction to draw a crowd, thats kinda fun for me and said friend

Sep 1, 2007
Something interesting that is semi-on topic here is that when messing around with a deck of cards, I've noticed (and I've heard some pros talking about this same fact) that playing with a red deck of cards actually attracts more attention then toying with a blue deck. So if you're standing leaning on a wall, the red deck would be the choice to go with. This probably has to do with red being seen as an inherently "strong" colour; red is feared at a primal level. I remember reading about a science experiment in which they took two fairly equally matched sprinters, and they each took turns wearing both red and blue uniforms (the opponent wearing the opposite colour). Wearing the red uniform actually increased the chance of winning.

Just a fun, much more subtle application of what you're talking about in a way.

Cheers,
Lucas

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
Interesting you brought that up Web. (the thing about fiddling with cards, and doing a color change so people will see it and be interested.) I've done this a lot. Mostly with the Shapeshifter (the only time I use it). I'll be messing around with cards sometimes, and I see someone looking out of the corner of their eye at my cards. I do a Shapeshifter and it (usually) gets great reactions. From there I have their attention.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
i usually just do a classic color change. pretty boring, but it works, sometimes i'll even do a merlin tip over change. really simple, not very visual. but it kills.

That's really an interesting point. Playing with cards out in the open can very well be a hook. You wouldn't normally expect to see just anyone playing with cards, let alone with any kind of skill.

If you do then they are usually either a gambler or a magician. Either way you slice it, they are offering you a visual character and inviting you to open up conversation. It's a subtle but deliberate way of saying engage me, I'm interesting!

While using a stooge as a hook would work, it's not something that can be relied upon for every situation. If you think about it, you'd have to bring your stooge with you every where you go. That may not always be practical. However a deck of cards, style of dress, or even a hat can be worn out or taken with you anywhere, is innocuous enough to blend in if need be, but also draw attention if desired.

While doing magic moves such as color changes can be used as a hook, I personally try to not rely upon them as the hook itself. My hook tries to focus on lets say the unusual deck of cards I have, and not what I'm doing with them at the time. I just use them in conjunction with my hook.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
One thing that I noticed about this tread that William was trying to get across that has flown over most of your heads is that he is the hook. Yes it is his top hat but that is an essential part of his character. To his audiences the first effect is himself and that is what you it should be. You may be playing with cards doings something like a spring or a colour change whislt it may look cool not many people will ask to see something. You are also playing it to passive about getting a perfromance (even a free one).

My hook is me and that is how it will always be. Whilst I look normal unlike Dan Sperry, William Draven or Max Maven I still believe that I am just a little bit different. As for my personal hook I talk to people first try to figure out a little about them hit them with some form of cold reading then straight into an effect. If I am doing close up for a paid gig it is different I will usually ask someone if they want to play a game of guess the hand or a version of prevaricator. But after that the rest of my performance sets up who I am and what I do.

Dec 5, 2009
A deck of cards, A Morgan Dollar, A Derby Hat, A Blazer or Vest. Depends on my mood. The first two are always available. I would like something more "out of the ordinary" Something that is ME. Like D ICE R said.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
A deck of cards, A Morgan Dollar, A Derby Hat, A Blazer or Vest. Depends on my mood. The first two are always available. I would like something more "out of the ordinary" Something that is ME. Like D ICE R said.

that reminds me! i will just sit and do a coin roll for a while sometimes to.

One thing that I noticed about this tread that William was trying to get across that has flown over most of your heads is that he is the hook. Yes it is his top hat but that is an essential part of his character. To his audiences the first effect is himself and that is what you it should be. You may be playing with cards doings something like a spring or a colour change whislt it may look cool not many people will ask to see something. You are also playing it to passive about getting a perfromance (even a free one).

My hook is me and that is how it will always be. Whilst I look normal unlike Dan Sperry, William Draven or Max Maven I still believe that I am just a little bit different. As for my personal hook I talk to people first try to figure out a little about them hit them with some form of cold reading then straight into an effect. If I am doing close up for a paid gig it is different I will usually ask someone if they want to play a game of guess the hand or a version of prevaricator. But after that the rest of my performance sets up who I am and what I do.

i like the idea of "my hook is me". social skills. make friends with people before you do magic, people first, magic second. get them interested in who you are, and then indirectly they're interested in your magic. great post D ICE R

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results