The LePaul Spread is awesome.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I think the le paul (although i don't know how to do it yet) is one of those flourishes that you cannot show tp people while it is in progress. It looks slick when mastered but until then it is just a really hard way to do two fans joined together.

But mastering it adds to your control of the deck as a whole which adds EFFECT IN PERFORMANCE.
:cool:

- JON

Uh, I agree with UEZ and I totally disagree with Jordan. That's great if he wants a challenge... he should try doing a lepaul spread right handed then. After he gets that he should learn it behind-the-back. and so on...

...LePaul spread is emphasizing HOW you made the spread, rather than uhhhh... the actual spread. however, as far as Method/Effect arguement goes, there are some people that can do a really b!tchin Lepaul spread (Jaspas comes to mind) and it does look good.

It seems that we're all reading this differently; your last statments are exactly what I was getting at. From what I gathered in UnknownEnemyZero's original post, was the implication that the outcome of the LePaul Spread was not worth the practice. From that in my mind, I responded how I felt necessary. However in saying that, I personally would feel much more accomplished perfecting a LePaul S-spread than Twin Fans, for example.

I don't want to add anymore to the argument, but I still stand by my point. Being the "move mokey" I am, I absolutely love practicing things -- and that means even if the methods are outrageous or OTT. If I practice something and get it down, it makes me happy and I can feel good about myself for putting both the time and effort into making it what it is. Thus, it's great to practice the LePaul Spread, because it's different, beautiful in formation and is (once again) quite a challenge. Perhaps though, that differs within everyone -- and I'm sorry if it does -- it's one of the best feelings you can have, to have accomplished something you set out to do.

But I think we should now leave this be. It seems we're all reading too far into this and blowing it much out of proportion.

Take care all,
Jordan

Sep 2, 2007
You guys should clam down. It's just a spread.

I don't think you should be concerning yourself about what other people practice. Everyone is entitled to their own opnion and I don't give a **** about what you think.

If you learn it good for you. Great way to say pick a card. The way teh cards just flow off your hands.

I don't practice because I don't have a DVD that teaches it.

I would like to see some people that are hating the lepaul do the "U" and "S" shaped lepaul. To make sure their not talking bad about it just because they can't do it.

Yeah I can't do the Lepaul S or U spreads, but when there are giant fans and Heaven Displays out there do you think you wanna waste time on a move that doesn't get you much distance in the manipulation world?

To me it's a bad mindset to ignore the audience and think only about the true difficulty and not the apparent difficulty. Laymen think the Lepaul isn't that hard. Why? Again isn't a hand to hand spread, so turning something that appears to be relatively easy to laymen into a S and U formation doesn't get you anything. Just because a move is difficult doesn't mean it's amazing. I understand personal triumphant, but when you wanna be out performing for people their not going to care about your personal triumphants.

Getting a 100 on a math test when you didn't even use a calculator when you were allowed to is a personal triumphant. But if someone else gets a 100 with the calculator they've gained just as much as you did, and people only care about the grade on the paper.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Good points. But i think you can spend time mastering it and then you dont have to perform it for people, I mean that would be a bit weird but hey everyone is different. I personally think it looks MENTAL from below and i will learn it just so i can get a cool angle for a clip or summat.

-Jon

Sep 1, 2007
I think Jordan's post changed my mindset a little bit, while I still agree with UEZ's fundamental logic of method vs effect, the LePaul really does have a unique look to it since it "appears" with little apparant hand motion or effort.

and there is something to be said for being a "move mokey" because strange moves that nobody does like the anti-faro or *ahem* totally one handed giant fans *ahem* WILL get you some "street cred" in the world of flourishers.

still, not necessarily laymen though. but not everybody has a goal of performing for laymen :) so we should respect everyone's different opinions.

also ampersand fyi my lepaul spread sux. since you asked :D

Nov 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
The "S" Le paul is definitely my favourite flourish of all time. When I first saw it done by Oz Pearlman I immediately fell in love with it and i practice it constantly. When i started showing it to people, the reactions were great. When I do a fan, the most someone would say is "oh thats pretty cool:)"...but when i do an "S" Le paul, people go "WHOA!" and they end up going crazy about my spread before I do the trick.

Dec 15, 2007
Hawaii
Yah, le paul spreads are awesome. But there is a disadvantage to it. Because when you do the le paul spread right in front of them ( If its your opener) they tend to expect alot more from you by your skill of handling the cards. The same goes with XCM when performing. I like to use the spread in like some of those joking "off beat" moments. But yah, its a great flourish and it looks great too.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results