Thoughts on Collateral by DM

Sep 1, 2007
Collateral is hands-down my favorite thing from Daniel Madison. Most of the time when I buy an e-book or something containing several effects, it's because I want one or two specific effects that sound interesting. Or it's the case that all of the effects, while good, are impractical or are too gimmick-heavy. I was sort of expecting something similar this time. It happened with Identity and Dangerous (this is not to say that they're bad products, but there's only a few items that I use on a regular basis).

So imagine my delight when I discovered that the majority of the material in Collateral is equally phenomenal. I can honestly see myself using almost every effect from this, with the exception of one or two. There are a few gimmicks involved, but nothing like the gimmicks from Identity (again, not that the one's from Identity are bad, just impractical for the kind of magic I do). These are gimmicks that are simple (think "Torn" or "Angle Zero" or "Cinders" and you'll understand what I mean when I say simple).

The highlight for me is probably Infliction. It's incredibly practical, completely streamlined, and easy to do. But again, I must stress that the majority of the material in here is very very strong. Infliction is a great example of the kind of thinking that went into all of these effects.

Most of the concepts taught are very versatile.

When I think of Daniel Madison, I think of streamlined, refined magic. The best way to describe Collateral, for me, would be to think of all of the best DM effects that he saved up and put into one book. If you love Daniel Madison, buy this. If you hate Daniel Madison, you'll probably still hate him (honestly though, who could hate him?) but you should buy this anyway.

For a full description of all of the effects, see R3's review or check out devil's advocate productions.

Ben Long approves of this product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
I was going to post a forum topic on the Gen discussion part telling dudes to go buy it, because when i got back home from work it was already midnight, and i forgot it was the Devil's Night the moment i checked D's site.

I clicked the buy button and dude, i couldnt believe my eyes on the material on this Book. I didnt really understand who DM was, i thought he was another rip off magician, and another magician who will be famed in this Generation, like the Cycle that was said within this book. But no. Daniel is indeed Colleteral. Like Ben said, he's magic (and even Himself), is streamlined, is refined. The overal empowerment, this whole is a starting point for us performers.

Magic is dead, that is one phrase of boundless beauty.

Within this book, i came to understand what Daniel said, its a personal thing. The thoughts, material put into this book is well worth the money.

Colleteral could be a starting era for the future generations of performers if we perceive it properly, and im glad he named that trick "Bad Influence". I'm glad we were giving the material of a reputable Underground Magician.

DM has become an Influence towards myself. I am honored to have touch upon the fraction of Himself, through his magic and what was told in the Prelude. Magic, at it's best. Like Ben said, if you like DM's work, you will love this. I love this not for the effects, but the purpose it serves. DM gives us a new way to look and perform magic.

Boxer is my fav Effect because i was have wanted to do a card to box, i dont know many card to boxes, so this is my first. And its good.

PS - When i was reading through and learning the book, some of the sleights taught were...fricking hell...when i read it instantly something came to me "What was he thinking!?".

Sep 1, 2007
More and more, I get the feeling that Daniel Madison is like a modern Paul Le Paul.

Paul Le Paul said "The illusion of magic is an idealistic fantasy; it exists only in the imagination of the spectator...Audiences are not interested in inconsequential details. They want to see things happen and they want to be surprised when they do."

Le Paul's philosophy of magic was that it should be direct and that the magician should not get in the way of it with extraneous sleights and moves. I feel like Madison's magic really embodies this sort of thinking. Why should there ever be a shadow of a doubt in the spectator's mind?

Madison claims that Collateral will be his last release for a while, but I'm hoping that that too is a deception.

May 7, 2008
MoNTReaL 514 *****!
ibought collateral and i'm very disapointed
i don't like it at all
problably the worst book he wrote.
i have read burn one two madness toughts ...
and collateral is the worst.. not worth more then 5 dollars

Sep 1, 2007
ibought collateral and i'm very disapointed
i don't like it at all
problably the worst book he wrote.
i have read burn one two madness toughts ...
and collateral is the worst.. not worth more then 5 dollars

Sorry you feel that way, but I could not disagree more.

May 7, 2008
MoNTReaL 514 *****!
my last post really isn't to hate on d+M i loved everything he did but i think that collateral is useless the effects aren't partical soo yeah
maybe i should take a week or two to read it again and again
i hope my point of view will change

May 8, 2008
England
I have yet to pick up collateral and I have quite a list of things to buy now - Madness from DM and Power word:fall and technique from paper crane.
But I'm pretty sure I'll love collateral, reading through I like the sound of boxer, enemy and half triumph. Also of if overkill and and delusion aren't done how I think they are then I'm pretty sure I'll love them.

I believe with a DM product there will always be something in there that people will pick out and like... Something for everyone.

I'm a DM fanboy :p

-S

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
I tell you, when dM says "endless possiblities", you should thusly see it in all of his products. We should appreciate the clever teachers we have who share with us their methods of improving our and everyones (card) magic. Its not on the effects alone, but the sweat and exhaustion put into these effects to express this. And its valueble, i cant believe there are people who forget to respect the ones releasing this for us. They dont have to. You must know that.

Endless possiblities man. Endless.

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
i have and i love it. Very clever concepts. The gimmicks are so easy to handle and most of the effects rock.The two i liked most were re-bound and Trip:so easy so cool. I will also use transtorn as a two card transpo and overkill....kills (pun intended). though i cannot see myself performing 13 and Enemy. 13 needs set up and enemy is pointless in my opinion.

Actually in my performances i mostly use d+M's effects . i always will carry a couple of Trip and Angle Zero gimmicks with me.

Sep 1, 2007
The great thing about overkill for me is that I always carry around the required "apparatus" anyway since I'm a writer. This really ended up being the perfect buy for me. It may be the best thing I've bought all year (though TOOC hasn't been released yet...).

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
I bought the ebook and was very disappointed... the stuff in it was just not for me.

And my assumption was correct... Trip is identical to my effect Flipswitch. I have proof that mine was published first as well, you can PM me if you'd like to see this proof.

Sep 1, 2007
I bought the ebook and was very disappointed... the stuff in it was just not for me.

And my assumption was correct... Trip is identical to my effect Flipswitch. I have proof that mine was published first as well, you can PM me if you'd like to see this proof.

Well, sorry to hear that you don't like it. It has, however, probably been my best purchase in quite a while, simply on the terms that I use the majority of the material on a regular basis.

Also, I'm sure that Daniel Madison did not steal your effect. Anthropologists love the idea of independent invention.

Michael Kras

Sep 12, 2007
Canada
Again, I NEVER said he stole it... it's an absurd thought, especially considering he does not have access to the forum on which it is published. I am saying we both independently created it, and that mine is the possible first to have been published.

Sep 1, 2007
Again, I NEVER said he stole it... it's an absurd thought, especially considering he does not have access to the forum on which it is published. I am saying we both independently created it, and that mine is the possible first to have been published.

I wasn't trying to imply that he had, I was just trying to assuage your concerns...

Michael Kras

Sep 12, 2007
Canada
My main intention in my purchase of Collateral was to compare the two effects. Not only did I feel extreme dislike for the full ebook itself, but also was disappointed to find that both methods are completely identical.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
My main intention in my purchase of Collateral was to compare the two effects. Not only did I feel extreme dislike for the full ebook itself, but also was disappointed to find that both methods are completely identical.

well you know what they say:
great minds think alike :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results