Thoughts on Criss Angel

Aug 5, 2008
(sigh). That was not the answer I wanted. There was a question I really hoped you would ask, but you didn't.

I'm dropping out of the thread, as there really is no point in my being here anymore.

As to the issue of Callahan and talking to the dead, I leave you with this link and can only hope that any of you who are open-minded enough to click on it can figure out what I'm trying to say.

http://www.stopsylviabrowne.com/

Its Funny how you got owned by Vwind? and changed the whole subject into a haunting magic? thing.So yes Criss Angel is an ideological Bigot and he uses Camera tricks and passes it as real magic.

btw-the challenge by Jim is for entertainment purposes

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
and he uses Camera tricks and passes it as real magic.

Magic, regardless of how it is achieved, is magic. If the audience is amazed, then the magi has achieved the desired result.

Whether you do it by sleights, by gimmicks, or by camera tricks, we are all passing off some lie as magic. It's all in your choice of method to achieve a result. However, as soon as that result is achieved, the method no longer matters. What matters is what the audience walks away remembering.

Also, I should state, I have no preference for or against Angel.

-ThrallMind

Jul 15, 2008
Whether you do it by sleights, by gimmicks, or by camera tricks, we are all passing off some lie as magic.
-ThrallMind

True, but we don't tell the spectator that we don't use any sleight of hand before doing a trick. We don't tell them we don't use gimmicks either...

Can you imagine that?

Magician: (While doing any card trick) "I don't like sleight of hand. I don't use any sleight of hand in my magic"

or

Magician: (While doing a trick that requires a double backer) "I don't like gimmicked cards. This trick doesn't use any double backed cards. What you see is what you get.... No, you can't examine the deck... (turns to stooge) but you can!"

Aug 5, 2008
There is no such thing as "real magic".

There is not? So what is it then?A trick? No that's impossible!

Laymen/"How can someone pull a lady in half with tricks,I clearly saw him cutting the black guy ,it wasn't a trick,the only possible explanation is that he has the powers to hypnotize people in a second and then cut their pain sensors or something. I saw blood and everything.And when he levitated there were no strings around he also walked on a building and water,he swears that is not fake,that what you see is what you get,well I saw magic,At first I thought maybe is a.camera edit or a staged but he said no so its real magic"

btw.the rub a dub vanish was horrible(for the card in the head one)

There is a major difference between saying "I'm going to do some magic" and saying "I really can speak to the dead." Major, major difference. One is to entertain. The other is to exploit.

No Jim entertains,I was entertained
Its there a difference when Angel is saying " I can really walk on water,levitate,and turn water to wine" and criss Angel saying "Im going to do some magic'?

If you can't see that difference, if you honestly can't, then I don't think you should be performing, or you're going to get scammed. In fact, it sounds like you already have. Sorry.

First of all Jim Never said that,And i don't see how that has anything to do with me performing or getting scammed.

No one actually believed that he cut open a person.

No one?really?Are you everyone? he did cut him, I saw him do it,No camera tricks so its real.

if they did, why wasn't he arrested?

He wasn't arrested because criss cured him with his demon powers.
Obviously

No, there is a difference between performing a trick and saying you have powers.

Really what difference?Inst levitating or flying a power?walking on walls?super strength,telekinesis? Wait that sounds like superman and spider man,so they have no powers then.

If you go up to Criss and ask him if he had powers and why isn't the man dead, etc, I'm sure he's say that it was a trick, not that he has supernatural powers. Any performer worth her or his salt will say the same thing.

so you want every television viewer to go to Vegas,find criss and ask him that?Well why dont you go find Jim and ask him the same thing.Im pretty sure he will say its all entertainment.It says it all over his site,If people are stupid enough to believe then let them,criss doesn't do that,he actually claims that is all real right before every "magic" demonstration.

But, here's the difference: JIM DID say he had powers. On live television.

No he didnt,he was just getting into his "magic" persona.

Quote--VW=it's the kind of trick that loses a lot more entertainment factor if you come up and say: "Actually, I won't really be getting possessed, I'm just going to moan and make strange movements". Look. Some people enjoy being fooled. Some people go a little further and enjoy this sort of paranormal/occult kind of things. Jim does what he does for entertainment, he doesn't ask people to pay him so that they can talk to their dead relatives.

He's on the show to promote himself, sure, but he is not there to prove he has "Magical Powers".

Well it sure does look like it.

His show is to freak you out. (Hence the name, "Mindfreak"), you can do that without any powers whatsoever.

freak me out.....Really,How about make every magician look inferior by doing special effects and acted out scenes and then passing them as :real" acts of magic.And dont say he doesnt because in every episode he supposedly does something completely impromptu, like separating a woman in half and sticking his head trough her stomach,Who the *** is going to do that in real life.When a real magician performs a simple magic magic trick they are immediately bashed because they cant do something completely ridiculous lik Angel,

"can you crawl on the wall or walk on water"NO"aw you suck then"Criss Angel...blah blah bl;ah"

...and it seems like he does his job well. You seemed to be freaked out by the "cutting the man open to get the card" trick. :)

Im not freaked out at all,I mean A rub a dub vanish?Either the people are blind or they are really **** to miss that from that angle.

Jim said specifically that he HAS THE POWER OF TALKING TO A DEAD PERSON. On top of that, he names that person. That is quite, quite different than simply performing a trick.

No he didnt and you obviously know nothing about mentalism. Definition=Creation.If he dosnt say that he has no effect, no effect = no entertainment,no entertainment-=no show.

Jim was clearly trying to improve his chances of winning

No ****. its a competition after all

by trying to exploit people's emotions.

nope,by doing something entertaining and scary.

We are all liars. That's my point. But the reason why we lie makes the difference. For example, in my shows, I actually say to my audience, "I am going to lie to you for the rest of the show." and you know what? They are still amazed.

Oh so you are a Criss Angel kind of guy,so how much do you pay them to "enjoy" the show.do you later edit the show an say "this is all real,what you see it was you get"

When we perform, we are doing the same thing without actually saying it. It's understood that there is no "real magic" happening to get the card from the middle to the top, or cut a person to get the card. The audience knows that they were fooled, and on top of that, enjoys the experience.

First of all you cant compare a card trick to a special effect and you cant think for everyone either.When I do an ACR I dont tell the audience "Im not using sleight oh hand,this is all real," and besides how can you compare ACR to walking on water o levitating 79ft above the air?

But once you say "I have powers" and I mean say it, especailly on national television,

Like Angel does every week

you are saying that you can do what science can't explain. You are above science, you should be revered in awe, (or sent money to) because you are beyond human.

Superhuman? isnt that the name of an mindfreak episode.Can science explain walking on air,levitating,walking on a building{walls},walking on water,going trough a glass window,age advancement,deja vu{time reversal},ect.
And he has the nerve to say "im the only magician to have ever blah blah blah"puting himself up there as if it were all true

And there are desparate, gullible people who will give anything, (way more than just simply paying for just a show), to have their real pain and suffering aliveated by a false hope. That is a more than lieing. That is exploitation.

And your point is?

someone performing a trick means that they have supernatural powers. Most people are intelligent and reasonable and know that they've been fooled.

Most?so you meet all of them,and here i thought you were just making assumptions

But, HE DOESN'T SAY OUTRIGHT THAT HE HAS POWERS.

so he does but not outright,see i knew you would understand.

Are you telling me that people should believe you have powers because you can make a card appear at the top of the deck? Please.

No im telling you they should believe I have powers because im doing what jesus,superman and spider man do.You cant compare a card trick with miracles(camera edits}

Criss has NEVER said he has "real magic powers".

If he rules out logical explanations right before a magical act...what is left?

Yes it was. And that's why he deserved to be taken down right there. Because he is setting himself up to be able to exploit people.

No he just wanted to give the people a very good performance,raven liked it

Let's see Jim talk to my dead grandmother.

i dont think he does that sort of thing,it says on his website.Oh and lets see criss angel walk on my pool ans levitate over my car,lift it up too.

if he could do that, then I will agree with you. Until then, I say that Jim is more interested in exploiting people's emotions and beliefs to his own advatange

No hes an entertainer,performing//using real methods

he's not claiming that he can do those things for a fee to everyone. For example: if GuyOne performs a trick that makes a woman younger, and asks people pay for seeing that trick. But GuyTwo performs the trick and says "I can make you younger too, just send me money and with my power I'll make you younger".

This never happened,what are you talking about,Jim never asked for money XD

Nope. I won't stop saying what I said about Jim. He started it. He's trying to back off now, but as I've stated before, he's not going all the way. He's still attacking Criss. Why? Because Criss exposed him for the fraud he is. I feel that if Criss didn't call him up, Jim would still be claiming he can talk to the dead.

he always had those disclaimers.and Criss is a bigger fraud,anybody will tell you.

Should've had the integreity to not go down that path in the beginning. He's changing his tune only because he's been called on it. And he's mad that he had.

Wrong

First of all, I am not religious. And religion is the biggest exploiter of people on the planet. But that's a whole other topic.

angel is the biggest exploiter on the planet.

The reason i didnt do this earlier is because I was in class,Art Class.not because I was ignoring it.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Damn, Steerpike got owned by VWind!!!!!!!

There's a difference between being "owned" and stopping simply because it's just not worth banging your head against a wall talking to a who is someone who doesn't or won't or can't understand....

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
First of all Jim Never said that,And i don't see how that has anything to do with me performing or getting scammed

Let's see what Jim actually said, shall we?

"Raymond Hill is a gentleman who passed over to the other side in 1980. I contacted him about a year and a half ago, and he's been working with me in various experiements. He intially used pedulums to communicate with me. Raymond will come back in 2045. I get the feeling that Raymond knows about his past lives because there's always been somebody like me, linking up form the other side.
There may be a way to punch a hole, just breifly to this reality."

"Youre about to witness a form of spirit possession. Automatic writing when a paranormalist allows somebody who has died to take possesion of his or her body. The spirit communicates with the living in writen form. In my case, it is the late author known as Raymond Hill. Who will communicate through me this evening."

(After the horrbily acted trick)

Host: "What do you feel about the people, the non-believers who say that this isn't real?"

Jim: "I am also a skeptic, this is America, I think people should make up their own minds what they believe, what they think, so that's it."

Yeah that's it. Right there: NO DENIAL. He doesn't say he doesn't have powers. He's trying to let the guillible people remain "believers" and the people on the fence fall to his side. It's an old tatic used by polictians and charlitans. This way, when he's caught, which is what Criss did, he can say "Well, I never said that..."

Tell me, does he ever deny he has powers? Does he ever say "No, it's an act. I don't talk to dead guys".

Nope, he basically said, "Maybe I don't have powers, buuuuuuuuut maybe I do. You saw what I did on stage. You have a right to believe that I do."

My personal magic heros, Penn & Teller, Derren Brown, The Amazing Randi, Max Maven and I'm sure a host of other credible magicians would just come out and say "yeah, it's a trick".

If I were up there, and the host asked me that, I would say "Look, I lied. I didn't contact anything. I fooled you all. Sorry. I don't talk to the dead at all because that ability does not exist." That would make the trick even MORE effective because now the audience has no clue how the effect was done. No, instead, Jim basically told the audience he had a link with a dead guy and never denied that.

To continue the clip:

Uri: "Jim your display of supernatural powers is very contriverial but very convincing. I want to believe that there is a Raymond on the other side. Beside there is a flair of honesty about you that brings credibility to what you say. Very interesting act."

So Uri is in on the con. Of course he is. He's been claiming that he has powers for years and years. There are times when he said he didn't only to come back a few years later and say that he does. He's a worse magician than Jim.

Now all Criss said was, "I just think it's comical quite frankly, before I even move ahead here, I'll invite Uri and your friend Raymond right now. I have two envolopes right here, I will give you a millon dollars fo my personal money right now if either one of you can tell me specific details of...now don't tell me the engery or the...."

Jim goes off with his "ideological bigot" line.

Criss challenged Jim. Jim had a hissy.

By the way, you owe me for getting this direct quote and watching Jim's horrible performance over and over.

And I should apologize to all of you for posting, word for word, Jim's "Mouthgarbage".....

I did catch a clip of Criss making a little girl into a 20 year old. It was far more entertaining, and he wasn't calling himself a "Paranormalist". It was a trick, and yeah, it was obviously stooges but who cares? He's not saying he's communicating with the dead. It's an obvious trick and the audience is left with "How'd he do that?" feeling instead of "I think he can speak to the dead" feeling.

...see the difference?

I've seen and read his website. He seems to say that he's not a psychic but a paranormalist. Now I see what others are saying: he wants it both ways.

If you like him better than Criss, fine. Big deal. Personally I don't care who you like better. I am indifferent to both.

But I'll tell you this much: Criss deserves more respect than Jim. Jim is trying to straddle the fence and say that he's more than a magician but not a psychic. Criss is just saying he's a magician.

...plus Criss is a much better performer. :)

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
No one?really?Are you everyone? he did cut him, I saw him do it,No camera tricks so its real.
Laymen/"How can someone pull a lady in half with tricks,I clearly saw him cutting the black guy ,it wasn't a trick,the only possible explanation is that he has the powers to hypnotize people in a second and then cut their pain sensors or something. I saw blood and everything.And when he levitated there were no strings around he also walked on a building and water,he swears that is not fake,that what you see is what you get,well I saw magic,At first I thought maybe is a.camera edit or a staged but he said no so its real magic"

You make a good politician. In one hand you tell me that I don't speak for everyone, (even after I admitted I didn't but you ignored that) and then in the other hand you speak for all laymen.

Nice try.

No Jim entertains,I was entertained

Well, I didn't say you had good taste. Personally I though that performance was way overacted.

He wasn't arrested because criss cured him with his demon powers.
Obviously

Really what difference?Inst levitating or flying a power?walking on walls?super strength,telekinesis? Wait that sounds like superman and spider man,so they have no powers then.

so you want every television viewer to go to Vegas,find criss and ask him that?Well why dont you go find Jim and ask him the same thing.Im pretty sure he will say its all entertainment.It says it all over his site,If people are stupid enough to believe then let them,criss doesn't do that,he actually claims that is all real right before every "magic" demonstration.

....Dude. Seriously. I'm sorry to be so insulting but really, grow up. Learn the English language and the art of debate. You are throwing out non-sequitors of things I've never said or have even implied. You are just foaming at the mouth (fingers) now....

No he didnt,he was just getting into his "magic" persona.

Quote--VW=it's the kind of trick that loses a lot more entertainment factor if you come up and say: "Actually, I won't really be getting possessed, I'm just going to moan and make strange movements". Look. Some people enjoy being fooled. Some people go a little further and enjoy this sort of paranormal/occult kind of things. Jim does what he does for entertainment, he doesn't ask people to pay him so that they can talk to their dead relatives.

But he doesn't deny it either. This is the fence that Jim wants to be on. He says he does it for entertainment purposes but doesn't deny he has powers. Seems to me that he's trying to be hired not as a magaician, but as a "paranormalist" who uses his "powers" to do things that magicians can't do e.g. speak to the dead. Then perform the same tricks others perform. But he's special because he is a "paranormalist". Please. He's setting himself up as someone superior than "normal magicians".

And it seems you agree that he can speak to the dead:

by me:
He's on the show to promote himself, sure, but he is not there to prove he has "Magical Powers".

Well it sure does look like it.

So are you saying Jim can speak to the dead?

That's the point. By remaining so ambiguous about it, he's promoting the idea that he does have these powers. I mean, this is way beyond doing a trick and walking away leaving the audience wondering how he did it. In Jim's case, he's leaving the trick and leaving the audience convinced he has powers. The effect no longer matters. In Jim's case, what matters is your decision if Jim has powers. And though he says it's your right to decide (how American of him), he does something to convince you he does.

No he didnt and you obviously know nothing about mentalism. Definition=Creation.If he dosnt say that he has no effect, no effect = no entertainment,no entertainment-=no show.

Oh so you are a Criss Angel kind of guy,so how much do you pay them to "enjoy" the show.do you later edit the show an say "this is all real,what you see it was you get"

Time for you to come down your high horse. Be careful! Don't fall!

I've been performing stage hypnosis for nearly eight years now. Have you been performing for that long? And my act includes me telling the audience, before the performance, that everything I do is a lie. I tell them outright that hypnosis is nothing more than suggestion and relaxation. And guess what? It still works. It is still effective. Even moreso because I've taken away the "paranormal" bullpucky. And no, I've never ever used stooges. Never had a need to.

Another example, is when I perform PK Touch and tell my audience some bull story about a paranormal connection. Then I do the trick, and I give them a beat to be amazed before I say to tell them that this paranormal connection is all a lie. I just fooled them. It's a trick anyone can do.

The amazement goes up even more. Because now, there is NO explaination. No paranormal bullpucky going on. It happened, but they don't know how, and there is no supernatural explaination for it. It is very, very powerful.

No im telling you they should believe I have powers because im doing what jesus,superman and spider man do.You cant compare a card trick with miracles(camera edits}

Ah. I see. You want people to think you have powers. You are beyond human, huh? Well. That's disturbing.

I am going to stop this posting on this thread too. Obviously, debating someone who wants the world to believe that he powers Jesus supposedly had is kind of like....banging your head against the wall because the person you're talking to doesn't or won't or can't possibly understand. I'm getting the impression it's "won't".

Sorry, Brian...uhm whatever name you go by now. You are not worth one more word from me. Hope you're happy being in your ivory tower of belief of your superiority. All alone... :)

i cant stand him
and alot of other ppl cant either
but i'll give him props on how far he has gotten with his thing
i wish i could get that much money to go around and do w/e he is doing
yea hes a dbag but w/e lol
but yea ppl ask if i can do what criss does and im like yea lol
then i get on the fone with my production crew lol and such

Oct 11, 2007
I can't stand the way Criss Angel performs his magic anymore, the old Criss Angel was okay, but I was just talking with a professional magician who knows Johnny Thompson, and he said that Johnny quit the show because Criss was getting to full of himself. He practically has an entire new crew because everyone in the old crew quit. I hope this turns out to be Criss' last season and he eventually gets his show replaced by Nate Staniforth, who is a much more capable magician than Criss.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Yesterdays new show was about skeptics.
I didnt want to start a new thread so im posting my question here.
my question is how do you guys/gals feel about him challenging three of his skeptics and trying to convince them that what you see is what you get?
Do you think he's implying that he has powers?As a magician how do you feel about such
a notion?
I have mixed thoughts on this matter and i want to see what you guys think.

Jul 15, 2008
Were his skeptics for real? or were they also stooges?

You just can't trust Criss Angel anymore.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Were his skeptics for real? or were they also stooges?

You just can't trust Criss Angel anymore.

They didnt look at all skeptical.Criss said he had picked his most hardcore skeptics and they just didnt look/act the part.
His whole performance he did,to me, was pretty obvious in the method.

Aug 5, 2008
....Dude. Seriously. I'm sorry to be so insulting but really, grow up. Learn the English language and the art of debate.

XD first of all dont call me a dude and English is not my first Language.

Jim is setting himself up as someone superior than "normal magicians".

Like Criss Angel?

By remaining so ambiguous about it, he's promoting the idea that he does have these powers... he's leaving the trick and leaving the audience convinced he has powers. The effect no longer matters. In Jim's case, what matters is your decision if Jim has powers. And though he says it's your right to decide (how American of him), he does something to convince you he does.

Like Criss Angel?
No wait Criss actually claims he has Powers and he even "risked" his life to prove it

Ah. I see. You want people to think you have powers. You are beyond human, huh? Well. That's disturbing.
?

Like Criss Angel?

Yea I dont really have to respond to your comments,Why? because Criss Angel Just proved everything in his show, He claimed that "Its not B*****"Well you decide.
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=fdO25XDkrkI

I wish they would have picked the Vwind guy,me or a real Skeptic instead of those 3.Well in the video he is clearly trying to prove to the world that he has real Magic powers.And he fails miserably,Trying to gain respect by lying and making people believe that he risked his life?There are people oiut there that trully believe the BS that he feeds them.

So I win You lose, XD

Sep 1, 2007
XD first of all dont call me a dude and English is not my first Language.

Like Criss Angel?

Like Criss Angel?
No wait Criss actually claims he has Powers and he even "risked" his life to prove it

?

Like Criss Angel?

Yea I dont really have to respond to your comments,Why? because Criss Angel Just proved everything in his show, He claimed that "Its not B*****"Well you decide.

So I win You lose, XD
You are definately not female, and you are definately not non-native english. You can tell by the whole style of arguing very easily.

Sep 1, 2007
I wish they would have picked the Vwind guy,me or a real Skeptic instead of those 3.Well in the video he is clearly trying to prove to the world that he has real Magic powers.

I know I said I was dropping out, but once again it seems I'm needed to explain the obvious.

Criss did not have the skeptics to prove he's supernatural. He was trying to prove he doesn't use camera tricks! And as magicians, we all know that there is always an explanation for a seemingly preternatural phenomenon besides camera tricks or a supernatural influence. And so does the general public.

I'm a genius! I should patent myself or something.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results