Tricks that you have invented

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I have 2 effects that I am particularly proud of. One goes a little something like this.

A chosen card is memorized and put back in the deck. Another card is chosen, and is shown to be a different card. The magician begins to blacken the back of the card with a lighter, which begins to warp and burn. After a while, the magician stops, takes a finger or tissue, and wipes his finger/tissue across the blackened portion. The only burn that coems off is the name of the chosen card. I call that one Singe.

My second one is my proudest possession...kind of. A randomly selected card is cleanly placed into the middle of the deck. It is pushed in, and then the card are riffled so that the spectator can see each card (like in David Blaine's force on TV). The magician tells the spectator to imagine their card turning over in the deck, and for an instant, the spectator can see their faceup card in the facedown deck, but only for an instant. Was it real or not? The cards are then spread to reveal one reversed card: their card. The entire trick can be performed without the riffle part. I just find that it enhances the effect. I call that one 2wo.

So yeah those are the two that I am most proud of. I also have a coin bend in the works, but it won't be ready for some time.

David out!

//David.Misner::

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Sorry guys I've got 2 more.

Pirate:

This is a coin thru bag effect I created last year. It is completely impromptu, and the bag can be sealed the entire time.

UnNamed CIB:

I came up wih this one a few weeks ago, and although the method is deviously simple, I don't think anybody has actually published this method. Basically, a signed coin is either visually pushed through the cap (inspected) of a bottle, or slammed through the bottom.

//David.Misner::

Oct 29, 2007
I have created ten effects:

Transparency Card thru Window
Blastage Full Deck Colour Change
Input Coin through Bottle
Tri-Chink 3 coin chink-a-chink routine
SMK Breath on Window Routine
Mental Force
Tic Tac Toe Signed Coin in Tic Tac Box
Compressing Down Deck Vanish
Shrinkage Deck Shrink
Camoflauge Coin Vanish and Reapperence

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Can we please distinguish between creating so-called new-effects and new-handlings of old effects please?

It's great that everyone's coming up with their own handlings of things but you can't really call it a new effect because it is more than likely been done before! Do some research on everything your 'trick' encapsulates before deciding whether it's a new effect or a new handling of an old effect.

In the previous post, (sorry to use this an example it was the first one I saw that helps me make my point). mnb430 says that he has "created ten effects" where 'Transparency Card thru Window' is one of them. It sounds fantastic from the title but it's not really a new effect, it's his handling of an old Card thru Window effect.

Do you see my point?

I only mention this because I was speaking with Lee Asher about my handling of a card to envelope mystery card style plot. I made the mistake of calling it my new effect (I knew it wasn't but it slipped off my fingers I guess). He kindly pointed it out to me and gave me a little insight on the world of inventing new effects/handling etc.

Hopefully it'll be easier to distinguish who's created a new effect and who's come up with some new handling of old effects now :)

- Sean

P.S. I'll see if I can get Lee's permission to use the email so you can all see what I mean. <--- EDIT: Sorry folks not this time

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I want EVERY SINGLE ONE of the people who replied to this thread saying "I've invented 'tons' of original material" to go and read the "Everyone should read this" thread that I posted just 2 weeks ago. Go to the main forum page and search for "Craig Browning", it will be the only thread (except maybe this one as I am writing it here right now) to come up. Actually read it.

</rant>
~David Rysin

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
Can we please distinguish between creating so-called new-effects and new-handlings of old effects please?

It's great that everyone's coming up with their own handlings of things but you can't really call it a new effect because it is more than likely been done before! Do some research on everything your 'trick' encapsulates before deciding whether it's a new effect or a new handling of an old effect.

In the previous post, (sorry to use this an example it was the first one I saw that helps me make my point). mnb430 says that he has "created ten effects" where 'Transparency Card thru Window' is one of them. It sounds fantastic from the title but it's not really a new effect, it's his handling of an old Card thru Window effect.

Do you see my point?

I only mention this because I was speaking with Lee Asher about my handling of a card to envelope mystery card style plot. I made the mistake of calling it my new effect (I knew it wasn't but it slipped off my fingers I guess). He kindly pointed it out to me and gave me a little insight on the world of inventing new effects/handling etc.

Hopefully it'll be easier to distinguish who's created a new effect and who's come up with some new handling of old effects now :)

- Sean

P.S. I'll see if I can get Lee's permission to use the email so you can all see what I mean. <--- EDIT: Sorry folks not this time

what i find funny is that people actually think they created something new. i mean im like only months into card magic and i KNOW that whatever madness i can come up with on my own it has already been done.

but i totally agree. there is a difference between NEW and NEW HANDLING. dont mix em up. if you been doing magic longer than me(a few months) you should know this already.

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
Instead of people saying "I have no clue if this has been done before but I have and effect...." Why don't you actually read a bit or watch some more of other peoples material so that you will not only be more inspired but will be able to answer those questions. If you can not be able to confidently say that your effect is original you really ought not to say you created it.
An example of people who really do research to make sure their effect is original is theory11, at the end of every dvd they have the credits to all the people who have created similar effects.

Oct 20, 2007
Well the only one i can say i have invented is Flow, not sure if i can link to you tube here...but you can search for it by putting: flow mjm. I do a bunch of original effects as well but most of them are using pretty well known moves, DL, etc. And i think most of them must already exist somewhere.

Well the only one i can say i have invented is Flow, not sure if i can link to you tube here...but you can search for it by putting: flow mjm. I do a bunch of original effects as well but most of them are using pretty well known moves, DL, etc. And i think most of them must already exist somewhere.

O cool your the creator of Flow?
Very cool.
I read about it on the cafe and saw the preview, looks nice bro.
I myself have come up with a few effects over my 7 years of magic.
For one I have an impromptu shadow coin routine, called Traverse.
http://penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=9377
I also released a set of notes with several effects,flourishes, and my ideas on magic.
http://www.lybrary.com/back-alley-lecture-notes-p-588.html
Ive also come up with three object through glass table effects.
Cacade:Ring through glass table. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWRdvVcS-30
Immerse:Card through glass table. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTJpt3I-9wM
Sublimation:Coin through glass table. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUz0_mYrqVI

Calvin Lauber

Now, I have created some effects in the short time I've been doing magic. I believe they are very useful for performances, and nothing is gimmicked.

Read Through
Effect:A signed coin is placed under a page of newspaper, or book. And is shown to be there, with both hands empty the Magician pulls, the coin through the paper leaving no tear, and the coin is the signed coin which you started with. A similar penetration to Kaos.

UFO Coin Pass
Effect: A coin is displayed being held with your index finger and thumb. Both hands are then closed, and without EVER touching, the coin is in the opposite hand. Can, be used as a single trick, or utilized in other effects.

ErdnaseX
Effect: A variation on the classic Erdnase colour change, your hands are shown empty, and all of the top cards are shown to be different, and left on the deck face-down. Show your hands empty, and as you bring your hand back and over the deck, a card appears face-up, which was not one of the cards shown previously on the top of the deck.

Un-Named Colour Change
Effect: (Variation of a very old colour change, with a new simpler handling) A deck is placed face-up in your hand, and the bottom card is outjogged towards you, so you can see up to the the card index and mini-pip. With a wave of your hand, the card changes. When you pull it out, it's a single card as well. Hopefully that wasn't too confusing.

Those are the things, I perform the most often, and use out of all the other things I've created/modified.

-RA69

Edit::Upon reading the post by David Rysin, I must include that the ideas behind all of these have not been in the process of being researched for originality. So, these effects may very well be out there but, in a different package and with an alternative handling. Since, I am still young and haven't been into magic a long time yup we all make mistakes, and you should read David's post about Craig Browning. I should've before I posted this but, the fact is, this is just stuff I believe I've come up with and just perform for fun, and to work out the kinks at the moment. If you were ever to get an effect marketed you should take the necessary steps into making sure it meets all the standards it should.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like I'm speaking with a brick wall...

Nope, too much credit...

I'm speaking with a brick...

Guys, search for "Craig Browning" on the search function and READ the thread that's called "Everyone should read this" and also LISTEN to the remarks made on this thread about the difference between ORIGINAL EFFECT v.s. ORIGINAL HANDLING.

~David Rysin

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results