What Are Some Solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2007
wow

Very interesting discussion.

"You cannot solve problems with the same thinking that created them."

Respect to the art is in a way honoring those that came before you by performing ot the best of your ability. Practice until you can live the trick you perform.

I think several people here have hit the nail on the head. It has been my experience that people get into flash for cash type of mentality when they start out or they copy what they have seen on TV.
To make magic your own....to put a little piece of yourself into the magic you do even when you perform another person's effect comes accross quite differently than just being a copy of a copy of a copy of something you are not.
Respect the art by practicing what you want to add and then respect will be earned when you perform because of how it is presented.
As Wayne has said Respect is always earned.

Know from whence you came and know where you want to go.

About exposure:
How does exposure really hurt our art? How many laymen say they know this trick or that when you perform?
If that is happening to you then I would say, change what your doing man, turn the trick inside out and really learn it to change it. Do something else for these people that they have not been exposed to and astonish them.

Perhaps one of the best exposure things around is Penn and Tellers Cups and Balls. Does it matter that they exposed it? No, I still perform it and still get astonishment out of the effect. It only appears to some that it is a big deal because there are some that don't get 'it'.
Later,
Snorri

Now that Snorri brought up exposure, I want to bring up a funny thing. If you see a magic show, and you go home, and are going nuts about those trick and want to be a magician... you can just get onto the internet and within a few days you could be performing.

And you paid no money at all. Videos, websites-done.

This seems wrong to me. You shouldn't be able to get on the computer for a couple of minutes, pull out your poker deck, and do an ambitious card.

Anybody else with me?

Sep 1, 2007
One must ask him- or herself: How can I make what I do as or more beautiful than a painting or a symphony or a poem? Magic certainly has the potential to make a much bigger impression than any of the above. A song or a play or a sculpture can certainly cause emotion, but nothing like what magic does.

Magic strips a person down to nothingness. There is nothing a spectator can do or honestly say when he or she is hit by a powerful illusion. They may cry or laugh or scream, they may not. What we do can drive a person mad. They may suddenly feel helpless.

The problem that exists is that many people don't put the time or effort into an effect that it truly deserves. When the illusion is perfect, there is nothing a spectator can do. Hecklers will wilt. Magic is becoming too open to the outside. It needs to remain something arcane. One of the best ways to do this is to stop posting media of any kind of all illusions. Magic needs to be seen live. When somebody is only in front of a camera, they are careless and don't give the illusion the respect it deserves. In front of real people, the effect must be perfect. Nobody is amazed by a video. People are amazed by other people.

Here's what to do. Stop reading this (this being my moment of post-modernity). Stand up. Don't go to your fridge. Don't do your homework. Don't touch the phone, the television. Get a deck of cards. Go outside. Find somebody.

Make their day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results