What Are You All Working On?

Hey everyone!

The school semester is over for me so I have more time to practice on my hands but that doesn't mean I'm not still super busy. But with summer just around the corner, I wanted to see what everyone else has been up to and what they have in the works.

I'm currently working on two different routines of cardistry even though I'm not a big card guy. The first one I have down is a small routine that I created that I will probably share on YouTube soon. The other one I am working on is the Ray Fan Production by Tobias Dostal. Others may find it easy but as a card guy I struggled with it at first. I'm at the point now where I can make a fan with one hand and then shoot a long distance spinner card behind my back with another fan and then catch the card that is shot up and around my back at chest level. It took me a while just to get the long distance spinner down! I can't wait to incorporate the sunglasses production to top it all off. Just the regular Whoo! Production would make me a decent performer, the Flash Production would make me a good magician, but the Ray Fan Production would make me a great magician so I'm taking the path of greatness that comes with the most work.

Part of the reason why I'm working so hard on this bit is because it's part of my opening bit for a couple of gigs that I have coming up. Most noteworthy of which is my first big stage show in which I'm preparing an hour long show that I've been working with producing along with my media production company. After we wrap up the production of a short film we are currently working on this upcoming Sunday, we should grind our heels in more and get this stage show underway. I will also be performing at a camp for physically disabled children where I like to "enchant" them and make it look like they are doing magical effects. If anyone has any ideas of effects that will make it look as if a spectator is doing something, any help would be very much appreciated!

Lastly, I have a couple of releases that are being worked on. One is in the very last stages of post-production that some of you might be familiar with. I'll have more details on that in the coming weeks and I hope you guys will enjoy it. I also plan on having some cool stuff come over to my YouTube channel so be sure to check that out. One of which is a subscriber contest with a reward so I hope you will all check that out as soon as I'm ready to put that together.

Can't wait to hear back from you all!

Best wishes,
-Tyler

Apr 18, 2016
USA
Multiplying sponge balls is my favorite for "magic in the spectators hands" or a DL where the card they are given is not the card they were shown.

I am currently putting the final touches on a tiny theater show with a vaudeville feel, as well as learning Vernon's slow motion card vanish.

I look forward to hearing how your stuff goes.

Book

Multiplying sponge balls is my favorite for "magic in the spectators hands" or a DL where the card they are given is not the card they were shown.

I am currently putting the final touches on a tiny theater show with a vaudeville feel, as well as learning Vernon's slow motion card vanish.

I look forward to hearing how your stuff goes.

Book
Spongeballs is definitely a great idea! I have never performed with them before but they are certainly on the to do list. Thanks for the recommendation!

Your theater show sounds very interesting! If you were anywhere near my area I would love to come and check it out. Also learning Vernon's Slow Motion Card Vanish is wonderful. I saw it on a documentary about him and thought the effect was very cool so best of luck with that one!

Reactions: Mr.Book
Apr 18, 2016
USA
Spongeballs is definitely a great idea! I have never performed with them before but they are certainly on the to do list. Thanks for the recommendation!

Your theater show sounds very interesting! If you were anywhere near my area I would love to come and check it out. Also learning Vernon's Slow Motion Card Vanish is wonderful. I saw it on a documentary about him and thought the effect was very cool so best of luck with that one!
Will you be filming your stage show? I would love to see it, but I'm pretty sure you are a thousand miles from me lol!

Will you be filming your stage show? I would love to see it, but I'm pretty sure you are a thousand miles from me lol!
Yes I will be! I will have it all recorded and my plan is to use the recording as sort of a "pilot" episode of what my stage show could be like and then I will send it out to a bunch of local state theaters and see if they will book me. I'm not going to promote my theater video that much but I will probably have it uploaded on my YouTube channel.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Not really working on anything new magic wise, but I've been practicing a ton with cardistry, particularly creating some new moves for my arsenal and learning a few new ones from Aviv and Anthony Chanut to get that extra creative boost. I just worked out two versions of a new move that I created that has been stuck at a limbo point for quite a while. Knew that it wasn't that special and needed to transition the opener into something more unique and creative. I finally found that last night and have been obsessed with practicing it since. That's when you know you've got something good!

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I have some ideas, namely
Some card magic effects that can make the child feel like they are doing the magic. Just, how comfortable are you with doing card magic for kids?

At the moment, I'm working on a cardistry tutorial for a triple one-handed fan called, 'Triplicate Fan'. I have the idea stuck in my head that it NEEDS to have as much 'lulz' in it as I can comfortably add, and that's been halting the production. I also need a bit more practice with the move, so filming the non-instruction parts now would help in not making the whole project feel overwhelming.

I found out that we won't be moving until September, which means I won't be able to do the children's hospital magic until next January (I made an agreement that I won't do the volunteer work until we get moved and settled in and there's a lot to do between now and then). This is because October-December has all the holidays and birthdays and is just too nuts to handle anything outside of practicing in the house. That and I need 4 more props for the show and I'm all out of stuff to sell, so I'm at a standstill. So I'm practicing with some of the props in the show that require more practice than most of what I'm using (which is 99% self working props).

I've also got myself involved in some ring magic, so I'm practicing 'Ring Throw' and 'Gryphon Roll' as something to practice until I can get some disposable magic-money to use on something like 'Circuit' or 'Ringja'.

Apr 19, 2015
Florence, Italy
I'm working on my version of the Scarne's Aces, which requires a life-draining practise, then i'm training the bottom deal, and other card table works.
A few cardistry moves, and i'm also losing time on making useless things like this: (i just make the video with a terrible headache)

As always, any suggestion of idea is very well accepted!
I'm new to this work, but i had fun making this and fooling myself at the mirror (yes, i had too much free time this week ^^ )

Nov 10, 2014
EDIT: I had also filmed my bottom deal practise this week, i forgot about it:

PS: all these videos are not listed on youtube, they are visible just via these links (cause i just needed to show to a few people, you guys too <3 )
Don't take this as professional advice because I can't even do a bottom deal. But when you do it I believe you should try pushing the top card over while doing it because what I see if I look at teh top card is: Movement, movement, movement, stop, movement, ect...

Apr 19, 2015
Florence, Italy
i actually do move it over, i can reinterpretate your point like i do a wider top deal, if i narrow it, it will look more like the same.
The problem is that i switch grip with my thumb cause the top deal differ from the bottom push-off.
Since modifying the bottom is too hard (that is the technique of the BD, can't play around it) i'm forced to make the top push look like my bottom.
Excellent point, i've already started working on it, filming and watching myself can help catch some subtlety, cause i can say the move itself is learned, but the overall look can be refined.

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
I'm looking forward to seeing your show, Tyler. If it were possible I would come to see it in person. I What I am personally working on is nothing spectacular; I am going through the magic books I own, cover to cover, and making notes on sleights and tricks that I like. Part of it is a refresher course, another part is learning new material, and a great part of it is finding inspiration. I have a couple of ideas in the works, one of which is on the backburner right now because I haven't devised a method to accomplish it in a way that I like. For now, I am focusing on studying the material I have, and perfecting the tricks that I love so that they are flawless from start to finish.

Good luck in all of your projects everyone!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I'm adding a blind fold act to my mental magic show. I'm still trying to figure out which blind fold works best, and how I should reveal the info I receive.

I'm implementing some Peter Turner stuff as well as Asi Wind material into my walk around act.

I'm looking forward to seeing your show, Tyler. If it were possible I would come to see it in person. I What I am personally working on is nothing spectacular; I am going through the magic books I own, cover to cover, and making notes on sleights and tricks that I like. Part of it is a refresher course, another part is learning new material, and a great part of it is finding inspiration. I have a couple of ideas in the works, one of which is on the backburner right now because I haven't devised a method to accomplish it in a way that I like. For now, I am focusing on studying the material I have, and perfecting the tricks that I love so that they are flawless from start to finish.

Good luck in all of your projects everyone!
Thank you so much! I'm really looking forward to it.

Also, I really like your idea of jotting down notes as you go along in books. It must make it a lot more simple than flipping back through pages all the time. I think I might start doing this as well. Thanks for the tip!

Oct 19, 2015
Sponge Balls, Sponge Balls, Sponge Balls.....I love these dang things and all the wonderful things one can do with them....but I have a bit of stiff ness and weakness in my old right hand and as I work on tricks, it is helping me improve the condition of my right hand. I am seeing slow but sure progress. My left hand is in better shape, but I am naturally spastic in that hand....

I primarily entertain kids....so sponge balls is an important part of what I want to be doing going forward. So far all my magic relies on 'gimmicks', and 'real magic' (as my Granddaughters tell me) and sponge balls require 'slight of hand' skills that I need...then to progress into coin work and many, many other tricks....so I press on trying to practice each day!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results