What do you do?

Feb 17, 2009
Bethlehem PA
What do you do when you finish a trick, and the spectator actually guesses how it was done. For example , you vanish a coin , and then the spectator says that its in your pocket, or its in your hand or you have a duplicate, do you lie and tell them they are wrong instead of right, or just smile or some thing and just go into another effect. Im saying that these people are just guessing how it was done and your sure they didnt see how. They are just guessing but they guess right, what do you say or do in that situation .

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
What do you do when you finish a trick, and the spectator actually guesses how it was done. For example , you vanish a coin , and then the spectator says that its in your pocket, or its in your hand or you have a duplicate, do you lie and tell them they are wrong instead of right, or just smile or some thing and just go into another effect. Im saying that these people are just guessing how it was done and your sure they didnt see how. They are just guessing but they guess right, what do you say or do in that situation .

Be funny.Act cool.

If they point to your head and they say "look there is the coin that vanished!" just say something like "gosh! so that's where they always appear? thanks buddy!"

If you start telling them that they are not right or things like that, they are going to further try to ruin your trick or routine.

Hope that helps ;)

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Ha ha, Once I did the shapeshifter change in a routine and of course everyone always yells at that point, but there was a young girl (maybe 5 years old), and she nonchalantly says, "it just went behind the other one". It was quite funny actually.

Sometimes, you can roll with it. Usually I try to throw them off (similar to visualartist's comment)

If they say they know how to do it, and it actually looks like they do, you can be quick and say to them something like "if you do, then you'll help keep it a secret right?" and give them a smile. They usually feel part of the secret instead of trying to show you up. That works great, even to prevent a lot of guessing out loud.

j

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Them: "I know how you did that"

You: *Gasp* "So do I!"

Haha, i love that one. Usually i'll do something to make them think they know what's going on but usually they're wrong. For example, when i do a coin vanish, i'll say "I will blow on this coin and the con will disappear!". Then i pretend to secretly put the coin in my mouth and then i blow on my hand to show the coin's gone. Obviously the spectators think it's in my mouth, cuz i puff up my cheeks. Then i start to talk and then they're blown away. Then whenever they thin they know whats going on they may just think "Well i was wrong the last time, i'm probably wrong this time."

Watch the trailer for the Street Cups DVD by Gazzo (from penguinmagic.com) adn you'll see what i mean.

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
Them: "I know how you did that"

You: *Gasp* "So do I!"

That sounds a bit condescending...
Ah well, if it works for you...

Usually i'll do something to make them think they know what's going on but usually they're wrong. For example, when i do a coin vanish, i'll say "I will blow on this coin and the con will disappear!". Then i pretend to secretly put the coin in my mouth and then i blow on my hand to show the coin's gone. Obviously the spectators think it's in my mouth, cuz i puff up my cheeks. Then i start to talk and then they're blown away. Then whenever they thin they know whats going on they may just think "Well i was wrong the last time, i'm probably wrong this time."

Sounds good. But I think the question was what to do when the spectator genuinely knows what's happening. What do you do then? (I may check out the Street Cups trailer, though. The vanish of the coin in the mouth sounds nice).

Personally, I blow it off and work around it. I'll give you an example;
A spectator points out I've got two cards when I turn over their card in an Ambitious sequence.
I'll say "See, a lot of people think this. You're close, but so very far away from what I'm doing. See?"
Whilst I'm talking I'll second deal off the card, or something.
From then on, I'll only use techniques that actually bring the card to the top (e.g. no doubles).

I understand in some effects this is not possible, which is something I've never encountered. It'd be a difficult one to avoid I guess.

-Sam H

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
, that this don't work like that, cause it's magic

"But I saw how you lifted two cards there and then gave me another one!!!! how do you want me to believe that you magically changed the card in my hands if that happened?, that's not magic! you suck!"

That would be in 98% of the cases the answer to your answer;)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results