What do you do?

Nov 11, 2009
What do you do/say when you perform a trick for someone and they dont seem to be impressed or even care about what you did?

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
I would either Joke around with them

"Come on that was a miracle!"

or just shake there hand and thank them for their time.

If the spectator doesn't care about what I'm doing I'll either step my effect up a notch or stop performing for them all together. If they don't care or not even intrigued it's not worth performing for them because it's something they don't even want.

Sep 24, 2007
Why should they care? Your presentation should force them to care, to be on your side, to want you to succeed.

Eh, you could always just walk away and pretend it never happened.

Dec 18, 2009
Either you're performance was not the best. The trick was bad. Or they simply don't get into it. Either way you're left with two options. 1 Try to do something better and more impressive. Or 2 Just walk away and don't waste your time and skills on them.

If you feel your performance and the trick was good then I would choose option two as they are simply not interested. If you think the fault lies in your performance choose option one and do a different trick you are more comfortable and better at.

Jan 29, 2010
It's true this could be due to a bad performance or the trick you've chosen or even the time and place you decide to present magic. Or in the worst case: you're persona is not likable.

BUT a lot of people here a dismissing the fact, that somepeople don't just like magic. Saying it's all the performers fault is just a bad attempt to show off, as if it had not happened to you, yeah right.

The secret is to try to recognize what's the cause for this. If the spectator just doesn't care about magic, this could be due to many reasons, it would be best to just thank them for their time. If your performance is not good enought, as in some cases, you need to practice your moves and study the theory of magic.

Take a look at some works of the greats like Arturo Ascanio, Darwin Ortiz, Juan Tamariz, Tommy Wonder... The list could go on and on.
You can also watch performances from all kinds of great magicians from youtube and such other sites. Study how they present their magic and read what they have to say about magic.

There is a reason why there's such a little good magic around these days. Too many people dismiss the study of the theory of magic and the importance of performance. Magic is a difficult performance art, unfortunately the word art gets tossed around a lot, as in my opinion 99% of the magic today, is far far from even resembling art.

If you want to be a great magician you need to put in so much hard work that your magic could be compared to playing the most complicated symphonies with a piano, while the same time reciting Shakespeare, dramatically.

Oh yes, the last thing. PRACTICE your tricks so that you know them inside and out. If you have to think about the modus operandi or even 'what's next', you will lose all the ENERGY in your performance, and that reflects to the spectators interest level. Your focus should be completely on the situation, DON'T JUST FOCUS ON THE TRICK, BUT IN THE SITUATION ITSELF, so you can adapt your lines, tone, pacing, blocking and all the other theatrics, to best fit the specific situation. That way you get the most mileage out of your material and assure the best experience for the spectators. AND don't be afraid of interaction, because performing is all about the interaction between you and the audience, on conscious and subconscious level.

paulpaul

Last edited by a moderator:
May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I agree with Paul.
The situation and context is the biggest factor in my opinion. You may be the best magician in the world and you can still get dismissed by a man whos rushing to work.
Some people are in a hurry, thus they dont have time. Even if they love magic, they cant afford the delay.
Some people are busy thinking about something. They dont have the emotional and psychological freedom to watch a magic trick.
Some people just dont like talking to strangers.

It really depends on where, when, and who you are performing to. But what I don't get is wouldn't you feel from the start that the person doesn't enjoy watching your performance? If its during a gig like a cocktail party, you usually ask to perform first... If they look hesitant then... dont perform. Dont force your magic onto a spectator, just find the spectator who wants it.
If you really want to get someone interested no matter the person, the best thing you can do is just perform something you know 100% so that you can focus on your situation. Adapt and perform. Match your presentation and style to where and when you are so that people feel comfortable watching you. Speak appropriately and accordingly to the context. Relate your magic to who you are performing to and make them feel like they have to watch you. If they dont, they are missing out.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I think that aside from all the reasons that have been mentioned here of why does that happen is that maybe the spectator is a guy who hates magic or simply don´t wanna to look like you fooled him....so they act like they didn´t care...I hate those guys...in that case is better to thanked them for their time and just go...they don´t deserve your time and the gift of magic...

why would I do?....maybe just thank them for their time and punch them in the face....just kidding...

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
It really depends on the situation. Usually, thank them for their time and walk away. If I'm in the middle of an effect and the first climax doesn't get them I might go on and attempt to wow them with the rest of the effect, but in general you shouldn't force it.

I don't run into this often, I'm also not a working magician yet, but when I perform at parties and when I go out to perform in bars people tend to gravitate to me after I get started. Find some people who look like they'd have a good time watching and then let other people find you.

Here's something we've probably all seen, but towards the end Danny shows what he does in the middle of what would be a full deck, 1 card a at a time, effect.
DG's Sam the Bellhop

If you haven't seen it, you need to.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results