What Is Wrong With Magic as an Art Today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2007
I think science has actually helped us magicians in our craft. The way it has helped us is, think of it this way, because of science many people know why many things happen and can use science to prove almost anything. But when someone with all that knowledge all of a sudden comes upon something that is unexplainable and practically impossile will make the experience that much more fun and memorable. Science has given them the mindset that there are laws in science that have been proven many times to explain natural phenomena. So since gravity tells us everything must come down and you see someone on a street floating, it just causes such amazement.

Sep 1, 2007
Nebraska
Here's my opinion on the topic. A lot of people are saying that exposure is hurting magic, and I do believe so to some degree. There are alot of horrible performances on youtube of effects which can really hurt. However, if "exposure" is controlled, than maybe instead of exposing, we could be "sharing." I'm a moderator on a so called "exposure site," yet we are as much a danger to magic as a piece of grass is to Superman. We are closed registration and we have awesome discussions about magic, not just the methods used in effects. If only all magicians could have a place like the site I mod at. This site is another step closer to the ultimate "online Magic Circle" and this site will have a large impact on the magic community.

Another factor that I believe is hurting magic is dealers (cough cough E) who only sell single effects with very few gimmicks and the quality of a $3 download. These effects are hurting magic when for $20 you could get Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic with a huge base in magic for the same price. I know of several who used to shop at E but changed to a different method of learning with substantial results. This site is different as the effects either come with the gimmicks needed or are $5 downloads teaching a great sleight in magic.

One magician who really touches on magic as an art is Paul Harris. His Art of Astonishment series is very comprehensive in both effects and essays. I recommend it to everyone.

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
While I am still considered fairly new to the underground brotherhood of magic I can still see things from time to time that just aren't quite right.

I don't agree with most people when they say that all forms of exposure are bad. I tried to bring this up on other, non-friendly, forums around the world wide web and needless to say what I had to say went completely ignored. I think that we should, as magicians, share certain things when it is seen fit. I mean, everyone had that one relative or friend who showed them their first effect and from then on they never looked back. How else will the next generation of magicians be able to learn and know more than we do now, or ever will?

I think that there is also too much emphasis on certain things. There shouldn't be any kind of fued between any two magicians who are trying to convince each other that this certain brand of cards are better than another brand. Or that this finish is better than that. Use what you want to use, and be the best you can with them. No one can take choices like that away from you.

People just aren't as patient these days. Somehow, I grew up learning patience all of my life. For some reason, I always chose hobbies that took significantly longer to learn and master than most other people. Be it drawing, playing a musical instrament, or learning the fine art of sleight of hand/magic. You must pay your dues before you go out and try to pull something off that you aren't 100% comfortable with. It just makes no sense to risk a $15-$30 effect. So take pride in your magic, and practice as much as you can stand. Only then will we START seeing some kind of improvement in the horrid youtube.com performances of pre-teens trying to be cool.

We need to also do something that Chris Kenner and Lee Asher were talking about in one of the T11 intro clips. We have to learn to be either ourselves while performing or create our own unique character. There is no need to speak in a monotoned voice like Mr. Blaine or use heavy deep breathing like Mr. Angel...I'm pretty sure that neither of them do what they do on camera during their every day life.

Maybe we need to take things a step back before we can take a couple of steps foward. Remember in the movie "The Illusionist", how Eisenhiem kept a book with all of his secrets in it? Who do you know now that does that same thing? I don't know anyone who does that, but maybe we could take a page out of that movies book...and not just his journal idea either.

I remember reading a thread either here or at Ellusionist that asked everyone to look around at their PC desks and think of five or so different ways your could include the everyday items on your desk into an effect. Everything I read, I must say...was completely obvious. I read things like, "A pen - using a PK or pen spinning effect." Is that truly original? Nah.

It might also help if we didn't do everything exactly how Mr. Houchin or Mr. Christian teaches it. If a certain sleight it too hard for you at the moment and you have something up your sleeve that does the same thing, then do it. During your practice time you can go and practice that move that you were having a hard time with. Add your own flair to whatever effect you are doing.

Once again, let us band together and support each other. It's not going to help anyone if we keep ourselves seperated by cliques of different magic websites. As far as I'm concerned, there is no more Ellusionist only section or Penguin only section...but there is Theory 11 now. Unite.

Sorry about the length...

Shane K.

waynehouchin

theory11 artist
Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chico, CA
www.waynehouchin.com
Wow... We covered A LOT of ground. Great job - we've defined some very real problems within our art. I (like many of you) would not feel satisfied leaving this discussion where it is, so I think we'll continue it next month as well.

However, next month, I want to completely get away from defining & discussing problems... I think it is important for us to address the problems we have already defined & begin to discuss some SPECIFIC & PRACTICAL solutions.

Brilliant job so far, I'll talk to you guys soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results