Why Do People Act Like This?

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
So last week at bowling practice, one of my friends and his friend were begging me to show them some magic. I thought it would be a good time to try out Con Cam Coincidencia. I asked another friend if he would like to help and he said yes without hesitation because he loves magic. Anyhow, throughout the whole effect, the friend that originally asked to see magic, and the other kid would not stay focused and pay attention. The only one that would pay attention was the friend that I called over. The other two wouldn't listen to me or pay attention and THEY were the ones begging to see magic in the first place. Needless to say, my packet, and the friend I called over's packet had the correct top card, and the other two's did not. I didn't make a big thing about it and just put the magic up and the kid my friend had called over started making fun of me and calling me a failure. I just ignored it and bowled.

Today we had bowling tournament. I got to the alley a bit early and hand my Guardians out and was flourishing before tournament started (helps loosen up tension in my hands and gets me focused before I bowl!). Anyhow, I was minding my own business when people started to show up. A few kids were sitting around me and then the one that made fun of me for the trick not working last week walked over and said "show me some magic." I simply said "nah, not today. We have tournament."

This was his response - "Why? Scared you will FAIL like last week? P****. Show me a trick."

Again, I said "No, I am not doing magic today, I am going to focus on my bowling."

He said this - "That's ok...You suck at magic anyways. Piece of s***." and then he walked off.

This was all after I was nice enough to show them a magic trick that they begged for and then they wouldn't even pay attention (at one point, I litterally shook my friend by the arm and said "Devin, I am in the middle of a trick you begged to see" and he STILL did not even look at me)

How do you deal with people like this?

Sep 1, 2007
How do you deal with people like this?

I don't. It's obvious the little prick was just trying to get a rise out of you. He thought he was in a position that he could make demands of you. In refusing to comply, you made him look like a twit.

Nonengagement is sometimes the best way to deal with a problem.

Sep 3, 2007
This was his response - "Why? Scared you will FAIL like last week? P****. Show me a trick."

Again, I said "No, I am not doing magic today, I am going to focus on my bowling."

He said this - "That's ok...You suck at magic anyways. Piece of s***." and then he walked off.

Me, I don't deal with people like that. Could be a time to pull a pack of cards out and drop them all over the ground. Then tell HIM to pick them up. And if he looks at you funny... Kick him in the nuts. (Or throw a bowling ball at his jock).

yea people will do that to make themselves feel better about themselves.
my friend had an issue like that 2 years ago. we did some magic at a party and it was great. then they were like do that trick again (sponge balls) hes like nah i'll show you something better. they are like NO we wanna see the ball thing. hes like no (cause its the magicians code) and the kids like f this and left. the next week we were doing magic on campus and everyone was dying, they loved it. then that jerkoff came over with his friends and was like dont watch that kid he wont do tricks more than once. blablabla
so yea. people are like that. to make them feel better.
i would be like. nah i wanna take a break. you can always use the line, hey i dont kick the broom out of your hand at work. dont tell me how to do my job (if magic is your job). But yea dont feel down about it. people will go out of their way to make you feel miserable.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Yeah I have done spongeballs before and they wanted me to do it again for them and my teacher and I said nah I will do something else instead. I went into a card effect and they were like that was f-ing stupid do the sponge ball trick again and wouldn't leave me alone about it.

Sep 1, 2007
Just tell them if they're going to be greedy about it, then it's not fun anymore. Never play by anyone's rules but your own.

Aug 23, 2010
Put in gentler terms than KeoSilver put it: i do my best NOT to perform for people who i expect to see at a later date. i went though some similar stuff at my school. You will find that if you know someone they will point and laugh when you screw up, also they tend not to take you seriously as a performer, because in their eyes your their friend, not "the magician." So my philosophy "don't perform for anyone you might see within the next few weeks" also if you do perform, do ONE TRICK then drop it. and i know it's hard to drop your identity like that, but to be quite honest its the second best decisions ive made regarding magic (the first being getting into magic in the first place) :)
but, if you are looking for some critique find one close friend that you can ask for an opinion on a performance on when you are alone, that way they can give you an honest critique without the ridicule

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Don´t be so explicit, I am sure you can elaborate on this so he can understand you...

...and I have you cookie right here!!

People have already talked to him about this when he did that video of him trying perform for his family at a freaking bowling alley.

Eventually what you became R.K. Is an attention whore. You've whored out yourself and magic too often that even when people ask for it, it's now nothing special at all. This also explains why you went back on your word about not buying anything new, then going back and buying like 10 new DVD's.. You're whoring yourself and your magic out. We know it's nice to get compliments and to impress your friends every now and then. But doing it too often and when asked, is just setting yourself up to be shot down.

Apr 27, 2010
baller08.blogspot.com
RK - it's apparent that you're one of those kids who says they understand but never truly learn. You don't have a magic problem, you have a social problem. Why do people act like this? Easy, because they don't respect you. You use magic as a gimmick to get acceptance and attention you otherwise cannot get without it.

You're one of those kids who give off too much insecurity and you're a try hard. People young and old pick up on that and in turn they don't really respect you. They don't think you're cool or that you "get it". When you say things like you do flourishing to loosen up your hands before bowling, it screams of bs. You pulled your cards out hoping someone would ask you to show them a trick, plain and simple. You're so inexperienced that you don't think people see through excuses like that.

I've said this to you before and I'll say it one last time; put down the magic for awhile. Go do other things, stop carrying cards around like a nerd. Go to a party and work on your conversation skills and work on being about to make other people feel good about themselves. Go to any social gathering and see if you can fit in WITHOUT magic. Right now I know you can't and that's the problem. Stop using magic as a crutch and start working on your social skills.

Mar 7, 2009
Huntington, WV
RK - it's apparent that you're one of those kids who says they understand but never truly learn. You don't have a magic problem, you have a social problem. Why do people act like this? Easy, because they don't respect you. You use magic as a gimmick to get acceptance and attention you otherwise cannot get without it.

You're one of those kids who give off too much insecurity and you're a try hard. People young and old pick up on that and in turn they don't really respect you. They don't think you're cool or that you "get it". When you say things like you do flourishing to loosen up your hands before bowling, it screams of bs. You pulled your cards out hoping someone would ask you to show them a trick, plain and simple. You're so inexperienced that you don't think people see through excuses like that.

I've said this to you before and I'll say it one last time; put down the magic for awhile. Go do other things, stop carrying cards around like a nerd. Go to a party and work on your conversation skills and work on being about to make other people feel good about themselves. Go to any social gathering and see if you can fit in WITHOUT magic. Right now I know you can't and that's the problem. Stop using magic as a crutch and start working on your social skills.

...awww... hey now...i like to pull my cards out and do flourishes for fun :( and im not a BS'er person

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
To start, I am DEAD serious when I say that flourishing loosens my hands and gets me focused before I bowl. I will not perform with my Guardians I only flourish with them - thats why that was all I had on me and even if I had more stuff on me, I still would have turned him down like I did.

The problem does not lie within me wanting all the attention and focus on me. Sometimes I want to be left alone. The problem is that I have a super low self esteem and have always been the kid that everyone picks on or makes fun of or trips him down stairs because it is funny or tries to run him over with their truck because they don't like me. All these things have happened to me and that is why I LOVE to perform for people so much. It makes me feel wanted and like they care who I am, and 95% of the people I perform for do appreciate it and do care who I am and it is awesome.

I did not necessarily go back on my word. Originally, I was not going to get any magic at all. I was just going to get a few books like Strong Magic, and The Paper Engine. I have been looking at tricks because I want to broaden my knowledge of new sleights and how tricks work so hopefully, I can be more knowledgable and apply what I know and start creating. IF I get more magic, Strong Magic and The Paper Engine are on the top of my list, and I will start reading Strong Magic as soon as I get it, and try to apply it!

I realize that I need to perform less, and I am going to try to do that. When SHOULD I perform?

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia

I would've continued like this:

me - Ok, sure I'll show you a trick, comon follow me, don't be scared.
him - Where are you taking me?
me - Now now, I don't want to spoil a surprise. Oh, we're here!
him - Where, there is only this dark closet?
*thud* (small pocket steel bar in the back of the head)
me - (In the scariest and weirdest voice possible, and blank look on my face) "I am B.... I drink tea.... Won't you dance around with me..." (while dragging him by the leg into the closet, leaving a bloody mark on the floor).

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
The problem does not lie within me wanting all the attention and focus on me. Sometimes I want to be left alone. The problem is that I have a super low self esteem and have always been the kid that everyone picks on or makes fun of or trips him down stairs because it is funny or tries to run him over with their truck because they don't like me. All these things have happened to me and that is why I LOVE to perform for people so much. It makes me feel wanted and like they care who I am, and 95% of the people I perform for do appreciate it and do care who I am and it is awesome.
Ok, now I'm dead serious. Start going to the gym and lift something heavy, for awhile. If you build size, you will build cojones, if you build cojones you will build confidence, if you build confidence, no one is going to mess around with you. So the bottom line is, build up A LOT of muscles, and you'll be fine.

And guess what, chicks love them also.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results