Witch Hunts & Executions

Magicians beware! Apparently we're not completely out of the dark ages yet with our mentalities and superstitions. The following news article can be found at this link: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/bab...up-hunt-for-witches-and-black-magicians-.html and talks about people in the middle east being executed for suspected black magic.

-----------

When the popular 46-year-old Lebanese psychic Ali Sibat went on-air and made his predictions about the future, the phone lines of the satellite television station Sheherazade used to be flooded with calls.

But what the star psychic probably did not predict was that his claims to supernatural prowess would land him a death sentence.

"He was the most popular psychic on the channel," the Lebanese news agency Naharnet quoted Sibat’s lawyer May Khansa as saying. "The number of callers, including from all over the gulf, spiked in number when he appeared."

But while on pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia last year, Sibat was spotted by religious police in the holy city of Medina. Their job it is to battle vice and uphold virtue in the ultraconservative kingdom. So they arrested Sibat in his room at the Medina Hotel on charges of sorcery.

On Nov. 9, Sibat was given a death sentence by a Mecca court for allegedly practicing witchcraft.

Sibat’s fate is common in Saudi Arabia.

Scores of alleged witch doctors, fortunetellers, and black magicians each year are dragged through the Saudi courts, including Fawza Falih, who’s been on death row since 2006 for witchcraft.

Her accusers include a man who claims the 51-year-old, illiterate Falih is the reason for his impotence.

The witch hunt in the kingdom and a recent rise in witchcraft and sorcery cases are causing concern among human rights groups. News reports say at least two other people have been snatched for witchcraft only in the last month.

New York-based Human Rights Watch called on the Saudi government Tuesday to overturn Sibat’s death sentence and all other witchcraft convictions for crimes the group says are loosely defined and used in an arbitrary way.

“Saudi courts are sanctioning a literal witch hunt by the religious police,” Sarah Leah Whitson, Middle East director at Human Rights Watch, said in a news release. “The crime of ‘witchcraft’ is being used against all sorts of behavior, with the cruel threat of state-sanctioned executions.”

Judging from previous witchcraft convictions in Saudi Arabia, anyone who publicly displays what authorities describe as suspicious behavior risks becoming a target of the religious police.

Take the case of Muhammad Burhan, who carried a phone booklet with writings in the Tigrinya alphabet from his native Eritrea. Perhaps it was his way of protecting himself against the evil forces out there. Maybe it was his lucky charm for a little extra success in his love life or in business.

But the booklet convinced Saudi authorities that Burhan was a black magician and charged him with "charlatanry," for which he was lashed 300 times and sentenced to 20 months behind bars. He was then deported after having served more than double the prison term he was sentenced to, according to Human Rights Watch.

Most recently, the Saudi daily Okaz carried a report on the arrest of an Asian man nabbed by the religious police in Ta’if on Nov. 19 for “sorcery” and “charlatanry.”

The man was said to have used supernatural powers to make people fall in love with him and to solve marital disputes.

This year, Saudi Arabia started implementing what it called a "comprehensive judicial reform," but it has yet to write down its criminal laws.

Human Rights Watch called on King Abdullah to order the codification of criminal laws and ensure they comply with international human rights standards.

-- Alexandra Sandels in Beirut

This is a mess, the fact that some people still really think that Real magic and black magic is real should be sent to a doctor. This is just crazy.

I remember when i first read this i was in total shock, the fact that a fellow Mentalist is on death row because of his love for the art is just sick.

Mikk.

Jul 13, 2009
Different strokes for different folks, well I mean. Different cultures, still believe in voodoo and witchcraft; You'd be surprised Madman.

With that said, it is quite sad and tragic that this has happened.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
mmm...I can´t believe this kind of things still happen nowdays, well this kind of extreme behavior.

oposite here...is very easy to make people believe the existence of the supernatural, not with magic, but with real miracles by true thiefs... here in mi hometown some a**holes just tricked 100 people into giving him their money supposedly to cure them and other crazy things...they stole like 100,000 dollars and ran away

I guess people want to believe in something these days

Different strokes for different folks, well I mean. Different cultures, still believe in voodoo and witchcraft; You'd be surprised Madman.

Actually i am quite aware of the big number that believe in witchcraft and voodoo but i meant in a way that: "Oooh, look he predicted my card *pours gas on him and lights the performer*", type of situation.

A good reference is God, over half of the world believe in Christ, Buddha etc...but we don't kill them for it(okay we do but its not a sentence by court), we are in the 21. century not the 15'th.

Mikk.

May 9, 2008
If any of you are actually surprised about this article, you really need to open your eyes. Not everyone lives like we do in the USA and the other few civilized countries. Actually most countries don't. We are VERY fortunate. I watched a video last night of a different witch hunt where 4 people were burned alive. Imagine how excruciatingly painful and torturous that is. Just because there are technologically advanced countries doesn't mean that every country is morally, intelligently, logically advanced. Many people think just like they have for thousands of years.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Actually i am quite aware of the big number that believe in witchcraft and voodoo but i meant in a way that: "Oooh, look he predicted my card *pours gas on him and lights the performer*", type of situation.

A good reference is God, over half of the world believe in Christ, Buddha

Mikk.

Buddha was a prophet,never revered as or a god.

But anyways, yes of course things like this still happen. and will continue to happen.
Then again some people bring it unto themselves. Remember that certain psychic woman in the states who claims supernatural powers? And people(in the states!) believe it. Its not something exclusive to third world countries.

Sep 2, 2007
London
While this is a tragic case, I think it's important to recognise that one culture is not more right or valid than any other. Saudi law may look opressive from an American, British or Western European standpoint, but it's a system that's functioned to maintain a society for thousands of years. Just because something was happening in the fifteenth century, doesn't automatically make it superannuated now.

As regards illogical and superstitious beliefs, which seems to be the main cause of dispute with this case, we in the West have them too, maybe to an even greater extent. We (as a general, "educated" population) believe, for example in evolution through natural selection. How many of us have actually read On the Origin of Species though? In other words, we're just taking words as fact when delivered by scientists, the priests of the modern world. And as we know, scientists can make mistakes. In a way, therefore, are we not even more guilty of woolly thinking than those "uncivilized" Saudis? At least they have a faith in an absolute, unchangeable set of rules, where as our twenty-first century religion, with it's idols of Hawking, Einstein and Darwin, is subject to revision at any moment.

Sep 2, 2007
London
More blood has been spilt, and more wars fought over the differnces in a persons religion than any other cause known to man.

Is that possibly because religion has been exploited as a power structure used to control the masses for thousands of years, rather than because of anything inherently wrong with the idea of religion? Nowadays, we see wars (which some may consider unjust) fought in the name of liberal democracy, which is not a religion, but is used in exactly the same way by the elite as a totem under which to wage conflict. Does this mean that liberal democracy, or politics in general, is bad? No, it just means it's been twisted and exploited, in the same way that religion has been.

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
At least they have a faith in an absolute, unchangeable set of rules, where as our twenty-first century religion, with it's idols of Hawking, Einstein and Darwin, is subject to revision at any moment.

Why is having an absolute set of rules good? How can anybody say "i wish we still had the laws of 100bc"....its idiotic

times change, technology grows, our understanding grows, thus our "rules" must also adapt.

Imagine if we still killed those who said the earth was round.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Why is having an absolute set of rules good? How can anybody say "i wish we still had the laws of 100bc"....its idiotic

times change, technology grows, our understanding grows, thus our "rules" must also adapt.

Imagine if we still killed those who said the earth was round.

Jesus,mary and joseph. Are we really gonna start this again people?
Especially you will,your smarter than that. If you want to talk about religion, there are PM boxes for you guys. and visitor messages too.

Jesus,mary and joseph. Are we really gonna start this again people?
Especially you will,your smarter than that. If you want to talk about religion, there are PM boxes for you guys. and visitor messages too.

My upmost humble of appologies to anyone who read more into my statement above than what I provided. I most certainly did not mean to instigate any religious flame or insult anyone for their beliefs. I was mearly remarking that peoples personal beliefs have been the major instigator in more than their fair share of conflicts. I did not mean to imply anything more than that.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I actually was kicked out of a house this one time when I was a "missionary" for my church back home ( I was part of a group of people that dedicate to visit poor and humble towns).

We were invited to this house to eat, and my friends told the owners that I did card tricks and magic related stuff, and they were honestly interested in it. I first did a ACR as a gambling demonstration ( I had to readapt the routine for something appealing for the guys there) and decided to do a in the hands transposition with the wife of the guy in that house.

Bottom line is, I commited the error of saying during performance "you may feel something weird, please don't freak out" and I don't know,maybe she was very suggestioned and what not, but she screamed and she said that she felt something really weird in her hands (the card?) the husband ended kicking me out of the house and reporting me with the priest of that community.

Yep. bad stuff :S

Well if thats the case then there gonna love my 2010 May release at Papercrane this should be a hoot those of you at the Daytona Magic Convention should know exactly what I'm talking about. lol:p

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Bottom line is, I commited the error of saying during performance "you may feel something weird, please don't freak out" and I don't know,maybe she was very suggestioned and what not, but she screamed and she said that she felt something really weird in her hands (the card?) the husband ended kicking me out of the house and reporting me with the priest of that community.

Yep. bad stuff :S

jajajaja!! you too? I thought I was the only one to get kicked out of a house

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results